Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Any links to try to prove this assertion?
The geographic distribution of obesity in the US and the potential regional differences in misreporting of obesity - Le - 2013 - Obesity - Wiley Online Library

Do a google search on this subject and you will find numerous articles.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Interesting! ... Thanks WK.

I am still trying to digest that report. Why would they EVER use "self-reported" data? That is really suspect, IMO.

Have you been able to find any report(s) online that use(s) only directly measured data?

At any rate, since the self-reports were basically UNDER-estimated, I guess the closing line of the link being discussed is still valid, and it says that ... the USA IS #1 !!!! Yay!!!

Quote:
The problem is such that nationally, obesity has leveled off at just over 35 percent, which has earned the United States the unenviable distinction as the world's most obese major country.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
sadly, the pretty infographic post, I discredit because the people who took so much time to report and create it don't know how to spellcheck for partner.

I'd also be surprised - but mass-produced sweet tea isn't my gig - that places use HFCS in their sweet tea.

Any dramatic increase in the South's obesity would "most likely" represent a change from our manufacturing but more importantly agrarian economy. As we burn fewer calories, but are still used to hearty meals with seconds, where possible, the change in metabolism and exercise must be huge.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM

108 posts, read 126,116 times
Default obesity can stem from culture

I grew up in an obese family who's mother came from farming towns and learned to cook using all the old country methods. As farmers, they worked hard and kept off the weight. Then, one of the kids moved to the city to work in the factory but the eating style stayed the same. My mom,She had 3 obese brothers who nicknamed her lard and openly and I dare say lovingly called her that all her life. We all went on various diets over the years and We all learned the calorie counts of everything we ate, but it wasn't until we kids grew into our thirties that we got the message. A lot of gravy, biscuit, fried chicken eaters are still locked in that mind set and can't find their way out. Environment has a lot to do with it, too. Hopefully their kids will get the "message" as they grow up. Smokers are also subjects of their environment.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Any dramatic increase in the South's obesity would "most likely" represent a change from our manufacturing but more importantly agrarian economy. As we burn fewer calories, but are still used to hearty meals with seconds, where possible, the change in metabolism and exercise must be huge.
It's lack of exercise, but also change in diet. 50+ years ago, it was rare for people to eat outside the home. It was considered a treat or a special occasion. Food cooked at home was also most likely to be made from scratch because microwaves were virtually unknown in the home then and pre-packaged dinners beyond the Swanson TV dinner were unknown.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's lack of exercise, but also change in diet. 50+ years ago, it was rare for people to eat outside the home. It was considered a treat or a special occasion. Food cooked at home was also most likely to be made from scratch because microwaves were virtually unknown in the home then and pre-packaged dinners beyond the Swanson TV dinner were unknown.
I wonder if GMO's might also have something to do with it.

Monsanto Autism

I know the title of this article refers to autism, but if you read through it, obesity IS also mentioned. There is so much we don't know about our own biology ... Fooling around with GMO's seems very risky, IMO.

Quote:
It is this ability to affect gut bacteria that Seneff claims is the link which allows the chemical to get on board and wreak further damage. The connection between intestinal flora and neurological functioning is an ongoing topic of research. According to a number of studies, glyphosate depletes the amino acids tyrosine, tryptophan, and phenylalanine, which can then contribute to obesity, depression, autism, inflammatory bowel disease, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
we certainly didn't use to consume "highly-processed" foods either.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM

312 posts, read 481,912 times
If someone is fat and smokes, what's it to you?

As long as you don't have to sleep with them, and they aren't smoking in your house or car I don't see how it's a problem.

Are you one of those people who looks at a fat person and thinks "you're lazy and weak" and looks at a smoker and thinks "you're a selfish lowlife who is ruining the air".

I'm slightly chunky and I'm a smoker, you would probably hate me. I bet you preach the gospel of acceptance and diversity too, while condemning people who made different choices than you..such tolerance.

Oh by the way, you're in a state that made its fortune on tobacco.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
If someone is fat and smokes, what's it to you?
Because it drives up insurance and health care costs for he rest of us.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM

312 posts, read 481,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Because it drives up insurance and health care costs for he rest of us.
So alcoholics. Let's ban bars.

You can't really tell people how to conduct their personal affairs (btw I'm typing this sitting inside smoking a cig)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: