Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 PM

415 posts, read 607,063 times

Advertisements

NC senators have introduced a bill to remove the religious exemption from vaccinations. It would put NC in the same ranks as only 2 other states in the country that heavily control vaccines, WV and MS. NC already has one of the highest compliance rates in the country with below 1% of kindergartens with an exemption. Kids that have a valid medical exemption already have a hard time finding a pediatrician in this state (i know it took me 8 doctors even though my son has a valid medical reason) and even once they do, the pediatricians are extremely reluctant to put their name on a medical exemption for a fear of opposition of their colleagues. So taking away even more rights for parents that can't or don't want to vaccinate, seems overkill in a state that already turns down unvaccinated kids. Another words if a kid here isn't vaccinated, its most likely a very thought out hard fought decision by the parents, not some crazy person whim. The compliance rate proves that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 07:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Good! I'm glad this general assembly is finally proposing some legislation that actually helps move NC forward for a change. Parents opting out of vaccinations not only put their own children's health unnecessarily at risk, but the rest of us too.

BTW, at least 12 other states are moving forward with similar legislation.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Good! I'm glad this general assembly is finally proposing some legislation that actually helps move NC forward for a change. Parents opting out of vaccinations not only put their own children's health unnecessarily at risk, but the rest of us too.

BTW, at least 12 other states are moving forward with similar legislation.
The only group that I know of who doesn't vaccinate for religious reasons is the Amish & they don't send their kids to public schools. It's my understanding that there isn't an Amish community in NC.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The only group that I know of who doesn't vaccinate for religious reasons is the Amish & they don't send their kids to public schools. It's my understanding that there isn't an Amish community in NC.
The Amish do not forbid vaccination. In fact, there are few religions that do.
What religions actually state about vaccines

Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 AM

415 posts, read 607,063 times
It all reminds me of the movie Divergents, but its JMO. If anyone's else's kid was allergic to something, like peanuts I wouldn't be cheering that their kid may be forced to eat peanuts. The medical exemption is BS, since no doctor in NC will sign it out of fear of being attacked by their colleagues.
There are only 2 states with laws this strict and limiting. While there are a lot of bills out there, none of them have passed yet and likely many will fail as did Washington state and Oregon just last week. This state was chosen carefully by my family to move open a branch of our business and one criteria was medical and religious exemptions. So we will be leaving as soon as school lets out and taking about 25 jobs with us, not that some anonymous forum people should care. Its your rights people, not mine since I'm out. I started the thread create awareness.
As far as religions and vaccines, if you are antiabortion then you should anti certain vaccines since they use aborted baby cells in certain vaccines. Again JMO.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
The is no scientific or medical reason not to vaccinate kids and it has been proven, time and time again, for decades to prevent widespread disease in society.

I support this move.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
There actually is, up in Caswell county near Roxboro, but I don't know if they go to public schools.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Here's a good overview of Amish communities in NC:

North Carolina Amish

It says there is one community in NC, near Union Grove in Iredell County.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Thanks! Can't rep either of you again. Several years ago I saw an Amish buggy being driven in Gastonia & asked where the Amish community was located, on the Charlotte board, & I was assured that there were no Amish, but there were Mennonite communities.

I know that in Pennsylvania the Amish maintain their own schools & do not vaccinate. They periodically go around & around with the commonwealth over vaccinations.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
I am amazed that there is something that brings the liberals and conservatives in this state together. Turns out it's common-sense elimination of vaccine exemptions!

OP, I'm sure you're a nice person and all and we'll miss you but... best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina