Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,199 times

Advertisements

I have a spotless driving record. No tickets in my entire life.(I'm 28). I hold a North Carolina driver's license.

While driving in Ohio, I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket for doing 39mph in 25mph zone.

The fine is $182 and can be mail to the court in advance by indicating "I'm guilty" on the back of the ticket.

However, I'd like to know how this will affect my North Carolina driving record/points and auto insurance rates.

I can go contest this ticket in Ohio because I'll be there for a couple of months. I spoke with a few
traffic attorneys in Ohio. They tell me the best case scenario is that the judge/magistrate lowers the
charge to a "non-moving violation" which will just carry a $100 fine with no points.

If anyone has experience getting an out-of-state ticket, please share your experience.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, so don't take this as the gospel. You may very well see an increase when your renewal comes around for the ticket. I don't think it matters where the ticket is issued. It you have the time and means to get it reduced to a non-moving violation, do it. I wouldn't even want to take the chance of it being used against you.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,253 times
In most cases an out of state ticket will be treated as though it occurred in your home state as most all states share violation information. There are just a handful of states that don't participate (don't remember which ones off the top of my head, but NC isn't one of them), and some states only take action on certain types of violations. Just to be sure you should call the NC DMV about your situation.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
Default Outcome?

Hey Squaredance...What was the outcome of this traffic ticket experience? Were you able to get the charge lowered to a "non-moving violation"? Did you use an attorney? Handle on your own? I am now in the same scenario and don't know what to do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaredance View Post
While driving in Ohio, I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket for doing 39mph in 25mph zone.

The fine is $182 and can be mail to the court in advance by indicating "I'm guilty" on the back of the ticket.

I can go contest this ticket in Ohio because I'll be there for a couple of months. I spoke with a few
traffic attorneys in Ohio. They tell me the best case scenario is that the judge/magistrate lowers the
charge to a "non-moving violation" which will just carry a $100 fine with no points.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGirl9 View Post
Hey Squaredance...What was the outcome of this traffic ticket experience? Were you able to get the charge lowered to a "non-moving violation"? Did you use an attorney? Handle on your own? I am now in the same scenario and don't know what to do!!!
You might also try to send a direct message to squaredance. He hasn't posted here in more than a year, and there's no way of knowing how often he logs on and would see your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina