Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
As a female baby boomer I have been on the receiving end of discrimination a few too many times to say, sure, folks will do the right thing without laws. It's pretty simple. No they won't. They try to get away with discrimination even with the laws. That's the reason for the gender gap between Democrats & Republicans.
So the law says a business cannot refuse you service. Why would you want to give your hard earned money to a business that is bigoted against you. I for one would not, and I would encourage my friends to follow my lead. Margins in business are narrow enough that if 10% of the market is automatically turned off most businesses will fail.

If I were a gay business owner I'd be furious that other gay people are actively seeking out businesses who do not cater to my lifestyle.

Sorry I guess I just do not have faith in the government hammer to bash bigotry out of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
^ Rich, in theory what you say sounds reasonable. But in practice, not so much. What happens when there's only one doctor in a small town, and he refuses to treat gay people?
Or a racist mechanic refuses to service your car, so you have to go to the dealership that charges 50% more for the same work? Or the local electric utility threatens to cut off service to a black family for a late payment, while white families are routinely allowed to keep their service when they are 4 or 5 payments behind?

There are real-life consequences when governments fail to protect their citizens from discrimination.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Sorry I guess I just do not have faith in the government hammer to bash bigotry out of society.
I have more faith in the government to do it than I do Facebook.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
So the law says a business cannot refuse you service. Why would you want to give your hard earned money to a business that is bigoted against you. I for one would not, and I would encourage my friends to follow my lead. Margins in business are narrow enough that if 10% of the market is automatically turned off most businesses will fail.

If I were a gay business owner I'd be furious that other gay people are actively seeking out businesses who do not cater to my lifestyle.

I can think of one major company that refused to hired me when I got out of college because "You're a girl." in spite of the ad having been run in the "help wanted male or female ads". Oops that was a mistake, was the answer. I didn't buy their products for about 20 years, & still rarely do. The effect? - none

I've had bosses tell me, with no witness present, You should be home making babies, not taking a job from a man, in spite of EEOC laws. In each case I was qualified for the job, sometimes more qualified than my male colleagues.

Nah, ain't buying it. The laws are there for darned good reasons. They are there for so many infractions on so many levels. . .but if they never had an effect on you, well, I can understand that you'd find them annoying.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Uh, the US Constitution already establishes the right to free speech, and to equal treatment under the law. Please tell us why this proposed bill is necessary.
I think you should re-read my post and the one I was responding to.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Nothing in the law restricts it to "public accommodations", and you are right all should be treated fairly. This law will make it legal to not do so.
Granted I haven't read NC's proposal, but I'm thinking of Indiana's law which gives businesses (which fall under public accommodations) extra "protection."

Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Rich, in theory what you say sounds reasonable. But in practice, not so much. What happens when there's only one doctor in a small town, and he refuses to treat gay people?
Or a racist mechanic refuses to service your car, so you have to go to the dealership that charges 50% more for the same work? Or the local electric utility threatens to cut off service to a black family for a late payment, while white families are routinely allowed to keep their service when they are 4 or 5 payments behind?

There are real-life consequences when governments fail to protect their citizens from discrimination.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I have more faith in the government to do it than I do Facebook.
And this.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:25 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
This isn't Mississippi 1950.
So what? Are you claiming that racism doesn't exist anymore?

Quote:
Refusal to serve can no longer be contained in deep southern towns.
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. There were businesses that refused to serve blacks all over the country.

Quote:
With social media the free market can shame/boycott bigoted business owners and the market will decide if they survive.
Because the segregated businesses of the past were secret? If people had just known about them, they would have been driven out of business?

Your faith in the milk of human kindness is somewhat admirable, but completely without basis in reality.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
So if the law is passed, I wonder what happens if someone cites religious reasons to deny service to women or someone from another race.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So if the law is passed, I wonder what happens if someone cites religious reasons to deny service to women or someone from another race.
That's it exactly. Yeah I had a boss who told me that by his religious convictions I should be at home, barefoot & pregnant. This is about gays on the surface. It's about the last 50 years. Gays are the last frontier.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-01-2015 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina