Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 04:08 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times

Advertisements

Enforceable or not; this is a law that needs to be on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 04:46 PM

489 posts, read 911,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL;3906544

Here's a funny video of the police enforcing left lane slow pokes:

Language warning.

[youtube
Should have said "Annoyance warning", in reference to the slack-jawed moron talking in the video.

This law is great and all, but I would rather see the police to a better effort of enforcing current laws that we have (ticketing excessive speeders, ticketing those not using turn signals, etc)

Is a turn signal required by law

And as someone who drives often for work, slow drivers in the "fast lane" is hardly a problem that needs to be addressed. I see it as an issue maybe once a month, and I drive 4-6 hours a day, almost exclusively on freeways.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:41 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
I would rather see the police to a better effort of enforcing current laws...
Like using turn signals? In *advance* of the turn or lane change?
How about turning R from the L lane? Or R from the L lane?
Or not allowing someone in when all it takes is the least bit of courtesy?

Keep Right Except to Pass would do it too

Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 AM

263 posts, read 572,611 times
It's already illegal to go below the speed limit in the left lane of a freeway when traffic is behind you. It appears this senator is just proposing that the fine be increased.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Enforceable or not; this is a law that needs to be on the books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Sorry. I can't get behind this one. Seems like a useless law that will rarely, if ever, be enforced. Look at the no texting and driving law. When is the last time that has been enforced? Is this a "I want to go 80MPH and you need to get the hell out of my way" law? Or is there really a practical need for it?
I agree that enforcement may not be consistent, but it should be strengthened (including through legislation) to discourage this more, as it is both unsafe and inconsiderate. I suspect that the enforcement will vary from county to county depending on how much the district attorneys' offices and agencies (police, sheriffs) choose to prioritize this as a traffic violation. Even more "education" (i.e. pulling drivers over and warning them that this isn't a safe and prudent way to drive) would be better than nothing.

It still won't solve the problem (which is bigger in my opinion) of pokey vehicles on two lane roads, causing a backup because of drivers who are oblivious to others on the road and refuse to do what the NC Drivers Handbook says should be done (quoted below):

If traffic is collecting behind you, it is wise to pull over to the side of the road, stop and allow the vehicles to pass

Unfortunately, legislation can't always cure stupidity, or make people behave with wisdom or courtesy, but in this case, it's a step in the right direction.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Unfortunately, legislation can't always cure stupidity...
SIGNS telling drivers what is expected helps most:
Attached Thumbnails
A bill we can all be behind....is that a pun?  Almost?-keepright.png  

Old 04-07-2015, 02:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
It's already illegal to go below the speed limit in the left lane of a freeway when traffic is behind you. It appears this senator is just proposing that the fine be increased.

It also appears that this guy is throwing any bill he can against the wall hoping it will stick. It seems all he is doing is loving the attention. It's something new from this clown every week.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
SIGNS telling drivers what is expected helps most:
I wonder if the signs would really help. I think most people know they're supposed to yield the right of way to faster traffic. I think it's usually folks being inconsiderate and selfish. Maybe having police waiting after the signs to ticket those who don't move over.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I wonder if the signs would really help. I think most people know they're supposed to yield the right of way to faster traffic. I think it's usually folks being inconsiderate and selfish. Maybe having police waiting after the signs to ticket those who don't move over.
They obviously don't. Take a look at how often the speed limits are ignored.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I wonder if the signs would really help.
Of course they would.
Same as with Speed Limit signs ... most obey the law most of the time.

But even if (when) people don't obey the laws... they can't say they weren't told.

Quote:
I think most people know they're supposed to yield the right of way to faster traffic.
Why do you say that? The way the NC law is written they have all manner of wiggle room
to justify being ignorant and selfish.. just as they do with the poorly phrased turn signal law.

Use the same phrasing as most sates use on the matter = Simple.

Quote:
I think it's usually folks being inconsiderate and selfish.
Of course. Not having clear law on the matter just makes that easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina