Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM

756 posts, read 837,649 times

Advertisements

House approves insurance requirement for mopeds :: WRAL.com

I think this is good for all NC drivers. Although some moped drivers may feel otherwise due to having licensing issues etc in the long run it is a protection for all who share the road.

I have had close calls with mopeds on the roads and it scares me to know that they are not insured in case of a crash. That surely must affect the insurance rates that auto drivers pay.

Am I the only one to be relieved at this news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,264,529 times
we long ago determined that driving a vehicle on publicly-maintained roads was a privilege, not a right. I'm not sure what that legislator's confusion is (at least per the article).

Years ago, one could get driving privileges with a DWI for work purposes. That could be called a "necessity", or allowing for the penance and rehabilitation of the offender.

They can determine/decide whether moped users need insurance where human-power cyclists don't. We certainly know in bike v car accidents, the bikers lose, regardless of fault. When a car driver is at fault, the car driver pays, yes? But if you hit a cyclist and it's their fault, and it causes enough damage to your vehicle, I can only imagine the condition the cyclist would be in. I'd assume that whether they can pay for car damage or not, they're paying a higher price in pain and suffering and medical bills.

If a moped user can do greater damage, with significantly lower harm to themselves, then they should be paying some type of insurance.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:35 PM

62 posts, read 68,730 times
I believe it's a necessity.

10 years ago, you saw very few of the small mopeds* As a scooterist (I ride a 600cc which is basically an automatic motorcycle. there was no confusion about having it licensed and insured) I often carped "yeahhh, the gas prices have gone up and people are buying those 49cc-ers. once the gas prices go down, they'll go to the back of the garage." That's no longer true. The small bikes have become common modes of transportation. I see them on some of the busiest roads, here around Raleigh. They hug the side of the road, doing their top speed of 35-50, and are very much in danger.

It appears that there has been extensive research on this. If people are going to utilize motorized transportation, putting themselves at risk, they need to be on the books, same as the rest of us riders.

More moped, scooter rules considered at NC legislature

*Tangent: moped might be a misnomer that the legislature didn't understand. Mopeds have pedals. I rode one in college. What we see on the roads are the 49cc scooters.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,191,625 times
It's sooner than you think:

"A bill that passed in 2014 will require North Carolina moped drivers to register their vehicles and put plates on them starting this July."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: