Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I'm from the Valley of the Sun and I'll tell you it's nice here in Charlotte. I've only been here since Feb and it has only rained a handful of times, it's usually bright and sunny. The weather is heavenly so far. I haven't missed the weather in Phoenix yet and I don't think I will. Well maybe in the Winter.

It's certainly not gloomy with no everyday drizzle, I would hate that and I would be out of here.
Not trying to burst any bubbles, but you do have to consider that most of the state is currently in a drought.

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/pics/nc_dm.png (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM

17 posts, read 93,157 times
Default lived in seattle & ca - not like the nw

The rain is periodic & heavy when it occurs... but then the sun comes out! yippee! It is not like the NW with overcast days all the time. The difference b/t the Charlotte area & CA is that you get four seasons, although they are mild. If you are comfortable with the average temps over the 12 month period, you should be ok. I think that the biggest difference b/t N.C. & the NW & CA is that you can find a nice home at any pricepoint. Rent is cheaper too! Just check the area out for schools & crime.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Not trying to burst any bubbles, but you do have to consider that most of the state is currently in a drought.

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/pics/nc_dm.png (broken link)

That's what I hear.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM

17 posts, read 93,157 times
Default lived in seattle & ca - not like the nw

The rain is periodic & heavy when it occurs... but then the sun comes out! yippee! It is not like the NW with overcast days all the time. The difference b/t the Charlotte area & CA is that you get four seasons, although they are mild. If you are comfortable with the average temps over the 12 month period, you should be ok. I think that the biggest difference b/t N.C. & the NW & CA is that you can find a nice home at any pricepoint. Rent is cheaper too! Just check the area out for schools & crime.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
If you are considering Hickory take a look at the Northlakes area of Caldwell County. It has a Hickory address but Caldwell County taxes which are a lot less. If schools are an issue South Caldwell is highly rated. If employment is an issue it may be a problem. The economy is reeling from all of the furniture manufacturing jobs going to China. Charlotte is a pretty long commute from Hickory in horrible traffic. We moved to Caldwell County for the weather. It has been wonderful. When it does rain in the summer it doesn't rain all over.You can drive into and out of it any number of times. We have four seasons none of which are extreme. You want snow? Drive forty miles and go skiing. If it gets too hot for you go up the the cool of the mountains for a picnic or some hiking. Something that hasn't been mentioned is lightening. There is a whole lot of here at times and it can be pretty scary. I have been told that we are second to only Orlando Florida in lightening strikes. Also, if you have allergies this area can be brutal in the Spring and Fall.
Good luck.
We haved lived in Fla since 2004 and before that CA for 25 years. We want to get out of FL for many reasons most recent homeowners ins went double. We love the Hickory area but when you said lightening I freaked.It sounds as bad as FL where there is warnings every afternoon. i just can't take it.I do love the area though and I loved CA but we are out priced there.Is what you say true? Please say no.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
You can see recent lightning strikes on this map from The Weather Channel.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Thanks NCgirl just another map for me to obsess over.I have weatherunderground, Noaa and accuweather.My husband says I pick the negitive one but can't help it.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:23 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Compared to Southern California, almost anywhere in the world is going to seem rainy to you. In the grand scheme of things, its no worse than most places east of the Mississippi.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,898 times
Short answer is NO! I moved from So Cal too..and am a native CA. In CA, when it was going to rain it went on for days...here, it might rain hard for an hour or two. In the summer, if it rains, at least its warm, and the storms are hit & miss, and brief. Even the winter storm systems seem shorter...like maybe a day.

My husband & I were both really worried about all the rain and thought we would really dislike it. Strangely, we both now look forward to it because its brief and everything is cleaned and our plants watered. We do not have sprinkers, so we welcome the rain! At least we don't have the evil June gloom like in LA!!!!!!!!! Always hated that!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,898 times
PS...what we don't like is the cold...but its fairly brief as well...but by the end of this last February, I had had it!! But then it turned warm, so we survived another winter (only our 2nd)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina