Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM

42 posts, read 113,462 times

Advertisements

I've been reading some threads this weekend and notice how helpful your feedback is, so thanks in advance.

my fiance' and i are planning to relocate from the DC suburbs to NC.

our motivation in moving is based on just wanting a change and a new start and enjoying a better cost of living. dc is outrageous as far as housing and affordability.

I plan to visit and continue my research on the best place for us but I'm leaning toward the Triangle area.

any suggestions on an ideal place for us based on the following criteria:

*we want to be reasonably safe and in a diverse area.

*we'd like to be within close proximity to the city but are comfortable living in the 'burbs. best of both worlds would be great.

*we're in our later 30s. our party hard days are just about over but we appreciate a little nightlife a couple times a month.

*we want affordable housing. we want to purchase a home (maybe within the 200K range, maybe a 3 bedroom, new construction, etc.)

*i work in advertising/marketing, he works in transportation as a city bus driver but we have aspirations to start and grow our own business.

*overall we welcome a change in scenery and the opportunity to see a little fruits of our labor. like i said, dc is very expensive and we're a little over it.

if there's any additional info i can provide, please let me know. thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I would recommend Huntersville, North Carolina Town of Huntersville, North Carolina (http://www.huntersville.org/welcome_1.asp - broken link)
It a rather new suburb of Charlotte so almost everything has a new feel to it.
Right beside Lake Norman so you can enjoy the recreation that comes along with it.
Low Crime
You can get a nice size house for 200k
Quite a few pubs and some are even on the Lake or you can go Uptown Charlotte within 25 minutes to enjoy its nightlife.
Majority of people are around your age so you can make friends with similar interest.
I see no problem with both of your Career fields in the Charlotte area.
Charlotte transit system is the largest system in the state C.A.T.S. (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/cats/home.htm?header=ridetransit%2eorg - broken link)

You will be 2 hours from Mountains and 3 hours to the beach when you need to get away. Lots of festivals and events going on around Spring thru Summer to keep you occupied.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 PM

42 posts, read 113,462 times
Thanks!

Also, just to clarify we will be renting first, for about a year, (2 BR) before purchasing a home. We'd like to find an apartment no more that 900 or so.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
If you're interested in the Triangle, you should check out the forum dedicated to that area.
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions
There are a lot of very helpful people there, but many of them don't wander over to this section of the forum.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From DC to NC View Post
Thanks!

Also, just to clarify we will be renting first, for about a year, (2 BR) before purchasing a home. We'd like to find an apartment no more that 900 or so.
Here is a list of safe apartments within walking distance to restaurants
//www.city-data.com/forum/2414980-post5.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina