Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And good gosh, yes, Chapel Hill is it's own place! What kinda war are you trying to start?!
Hehehe, yeah you know I know that. It just doesn't read how I intended it to come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Raleigh and Durham are a good 30 minutes apart. Very different cities with very different vibes IMO, with Durham having a much more urban feel. Before I moved here I did refer to it as either Raleigh-Durham or RDU, but after living here I realize this is not the way! I very rarely go to Raleigh, only to go to Walnut Creek or Red Hat really. Chapel Hill and Raleigh are 40 minutes apart. Now that being said Raleigh, Cary and Morrisville all feel and look like one big suburb. They just mesh together. Haha, in fact I work on TW Alexander in RTP/Durham, but the Food Lion 1.1 mile down the road has a Morrisville address. The Anytime Fitness in the very same complex has a Raleigh address.
I would say Raleigh is the more urban of the two. Durham, however, is the funkier one.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
FTR, roadpony, Record Bar started in Durham. Record Bar #1 was there. Record Bar #2 was on Henderson St in Chapel Hill and was replaced by #3 which was in downtown Chapel Hill on Franklin Street.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
FTR, roadpony, Record Bar started in Durham. Record Bar #1 was there. Record Bar #2 was on Henderson St in Chapel Hill and was replaced by #3 which was in downtown Chapel Hill on Franklin Street.
Thanks, but all I meant was that Chapel Hill had one before Raleigh did. That was one of the many things that made Saturdays in Chapel Hill special for this "kid" in the mid to late 60's. The one I remember was on Franklin St.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 AM

That was #3. The Bergmans, who started the company, were from Durham and Chapel Hill. That's why there was one in Chapel Hill before there was one in Raleigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_Bar gives a decent overview of the company. I worked at the Record Bar in University Mall back in the day.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:43 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
it has infrequently been referred to as Raleigh-Durham, NOT by folks from around here, for a very long time.

It used to be a single MSA, but with the growth of Cary, they split apart. In my personal opinion, between the MSA and the airport name, that was about 95% of the cause of it's use and misuse.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:45 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I feel like people in the northeast always call it Raleigh-Durham because of an old airline commercial that ran in the 80s that mentioned it this way. They think it's one big city.

One day recently I was telling someone about Durham and she corrected me to tell me it was Raleigh-Durham (um...I live here, weirdo)

Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 PM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I would say Raleigh is the more urban of the two. Durham, however, is the funkier one.
I find it interesting that there is a clear split between people thinking which city is more urban. To me Durham is way more urban and moving further that way. Raleigh seems more suburban to me. I guess I can see why people could feel one way or the other. That said, Durham appears to be focusing everything on downtown now.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I say RDU every now and then. But I also say CLT.

I'm an airline nerd so I'll also refer to cities by their airport codes. DCA, ORD, ATL, MSP, PDX, BWI, FLL, LAS, DFW, etc

I also almost exclusively say Raleigh Durham. It flows together so well. I feel like, honestly, no one outside of the Raleigh Durham area has ever heard of the name Triangle. Even in other parts of the state like Charlotte, Wilmington, Asheville. Maybe The triad does for the simple fact they're also a triangle.

Its generally pointless for me to say "Triangle" as I would have to explain that it's the Raleigh Durham area.

I think both cities can stand alone, but I just think Raleigh Durham had a ring to it. As does Dallas Fort Worth. Nice. I like it.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I feel like, honestly, no one outside of the Raleigh Durham area has ever heard of the name Triangle. Even in other parts of the state like Charlotte, Wilmington, Asheville. Maybe The triad does for the simple fact they're also a triangle.
Well, you'd be wrong. I'm a native North Carolinian who did not grow up in the Triangle although I live here now and I certainly knew where the Triangle and the Triad were as well as the Tri-Cities (Johnson City TN, Bristol TN/VA and Kingsport TN).

Raleigh-Durham is the airport.

If you want to say something hyphenated Raleigh-Cary would make more sense or Durham-Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill and Durham run up against each other. Raleigh and Durham don't even really share a border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina