Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyCat View Post
I took off every Friday in October to 5 cities. We'll hit some open houses and tour a few models in new neighborhoods. Durham, Fayetteville and Charlotte are on the list. I don't think Fayetteville or Greenville have much to offer other than low COL but I'll still check them out. My biggest concern with real estate in NC is the amount of foreclosures.
Don't waste your time on Greenville or Fayetteville. Neither has anything like the level of activity you are looking for. The advice to look at Durham and Charlotte is good advice. Maybe even Winston-Salem ... They chose downtown Winston-Salem over Chicago - Winston-Salem Journal: Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
No Greenville and definitely no Fayetteville. Seriously it would be a huge waste of valuable time.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,477 times
I really appreciate everyone's input. I am going to start this weekend in Statesville instead of Greenville. There is a subdivision going up called Oaks of Landis. I will look at some new construction there first and see what else I can squeeze in this weekend. From what I've seen houses under 200k aren't just in poor areas. I don't expect to live on a golf course with a lake view for under 200k but I'm pretty sure I can find something nice in NC in that price range.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:31 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's input. I am going to start this weekend in Statesville instead of Greenville. There is a subdivision going up called Oaks of Landis. I will look at some new construction there first and see what else I can squeeze in this weekend. From what I've seen houses under 200k aren't just in poor areas. I don't expect to live on a golf course with a lake view for under 200k but I'm pretty sure I can find something nice in NC in that price range.
If this is the Oaks of Landis you're referring to, then its really nowhere near Statesville. Its in the small town of Landis, about halfway between Concord and Salisbury. I can't imagine living there will meet your criteria.

True Homes | New Homes and Townhomes For Sale in Charlotte NC | Largest New Home Builder in Charlotte North Carolina

The previous suggestion of Winston-Salem is a good one.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Just bite the bullet and move to Raleigh. Get a house in Garner or Clayton or Knightdale and baadow.....

Old 09-29-2015, 04:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Statesville is even less like Adams-Morgan than Greenville! No university or "vibrant" demographic. If you want anything close to the urbanity of DC, one of the bigger cities (Winston-Salem was mentioned) is the only place you'll be happy.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Statesville is even less like Adams-Morgan than Greenville! No university or "vibrant" demographic. If you want anything close to the urbanity of DC, one of the bigger cities (Winston-Salem was mentioned) is the only place you'll be happy.
It sounds like CrabbyCat is prioritizing a cheap house over a vibrant urban area. His initial post was very mis-leading if he is looking at Statesville or Landis!

Landis has places like Lil Robert's Place and the SpeakEasy Smokehouse, which look like country bar/restaurants.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-30-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
The reason DC is so expensive is because of cool spots like Adams Morgan. That is urban. The places mentioned (Landis? What?) will not have that vibe.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
I think OP wants to be within 30 minutes of a major city for the occasional fun outing. However, Statesville, Landis, Greenville, and Fayetteville don't really offer that! OP needs to stick to the suburbs of Charlotte, the Triangle, or the Triad.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 4,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
I think OP wants to be within 30 minutes of a major city for the occasional fun outing. However, Statesville, Landis, Greenville, and Fayetteville don't really offer that! OP needs to stick to the suburbs of Charlotte, the Triangle, or the Triad.
Exactly. I don't need to live in an apartment above the hottest spot in the city, I just want to be able to get there in 30-40 minutes when we feel like having a night out. I cancelled my visit this week due to weather. I'll be down next week and each week after until November. I did more research on the areas that people told me to avoid and you were right.
I don't see how buying for around 200k is looking on the cheap side. When I do real estate searches down there I see plenty of nice 3/2 homes in and around each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina