Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear input about this story..
In a nutshell there is a NC ex-deputy sheriff that has a veteran war dog tied in his yard and the
dog's original vet handler is fighting to adopt him ...

The facebook page" Bring Howard Home" explains the story in detail...

Here is a local news story..

Deputy loses job in fight for custody of dog :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Seems like what is being reported is a little different from unilaterally supporting the original handler who now is making a lot of social media noise.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Seems like what is being reported is a little different from unilaterally supporting the original handler who now is making a lot of social media noise.
The social media buzz is coming from over 26,000 people who have joined the cause and
believe a retired war veteran dog does not deserve to be tied to a tree and caged...
There is a law (Robbie's Law ) that states that retired dogs must be offered to their first veteran handler before other adoptions are considered.. This was not followed..

There is alot more to the story. The Ex Deputy admitted that he threatened to use his position to
obtain the IP addresses and names of the FB page 'Bring Howard Home" and sue them.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
a retired war veteran dog does not deserve to be tied to a tree and caged
I have heard conflicting stories about whether he is really tied/chained up or not. Would love to find out what is true.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have heard conflicting stories about whether he is really tied/chained up or not. Would love to find out what is true.
There is a lot of information on the Facebook page ...Posts from the Ex Duputy himself about
the "price" he is interested in before allowing Alex to reunite with Howard..

Even if he were being well cared for there is a Law that these retired service dogs be
reunited with there war handlers...

Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
There is a lot of information on the Facebook page ...Posts from the Ex Duputy himself about
the "price" he is interested in before allowing Alex to reunite with Howard..

Even if he were being well cared for there is a Law that these retired service dogs be
reunited with there war handlers...
Just your typical LEO mentality.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Just your typical LEO mentality.
There are so many LEO that are presuuring him to do the right thing out of respect for
Alex & Howard's service overseas...
I think Fuller is the exception to most LEO that would understand & respect the unique bond of
a dog & human veteran team...

Old 10-24-2015, 02:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
There is a law (Robbie's Law ) that states that retired dogs must be offered to their first veteran handler before other adoptions are considered.. This was not followed..
Let me start by saying I believe this dog should be treated humanly and be cared for in a loving home. I do not know the details of this dispute but as presented it sounded like a legal issue so I found it odd it was playing out on social media. Out of curiosity I looked up Robbie's law. It is a fairly short law that was adopted to allow for the adoption of former military working dogs. However I was unable to locate any text within that law that requires (as you state above) that the retired dog be first offered to the handler for adoption. This is probably why the dispute is ongoing.

Here is the language from the law about who may adopt the dogs.

`(c) AUTHORIZED RECIPIENTS- Military working dogs may be adopted under this section by law enforcement agencies, former handlers of these dogs, and other persons capable of humanely caring for these dogs.

All that said, I do hope this dog ends up in the right home and lives a happy and healthy life.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 983 times
I saw pictures of Alex and Howard on YouTube on a video, I don't know if its on the Bring Home Howard page or not. You can see the strong bond they had. I can see why this man is wanting his best friend back. The bond just pours out of the pictures. If he was my dog and I went through all that with Howard, I'd fight for him too.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Let me start by saying I believe this dog should be treated humanly and be cared for in a loving home. I do not know the details of this dispute but as presented it sounded like a legal issue so I found it odd it was playing out on social media. Out of curiosity I looked up Robbie's law. It is a fairly short law that was adopted to allow for the adoption of former military working dogs. However I was unable to locate any text within that law that requires (as you state above) that the retired dog be first offered to the handler for adoption. This is probably why the dispute is ongoing.

Here is the language from the law about who may adopt the dogs.

`(c) AUTHORIZED RECIPIENTS- Military working dogs may be adopted under this section by law enforcement agencies, former handlers of these dogs, and other persons capable of humanely caring for these dogs.

All that said, I do hope this dog ends up in the right home and lives a happy and healthy life.
I did some reading on Robbie's law and one thing I read was that Law Enforcement is given priority,
the handlers next and civilians last...

In the case of Howard the story seems to be that he was adopted by Taylortown Police Dept(along with 5 other dogs) for a police dog program they wanted to start.
Apparenty this police dog program never got started and Howard was given very soon after to Deputy Fuller as a pet .
Fuller then took a job as a Hoke County duputy and had Howard as a pet when the disturbing photos were taken of Howard Crated with another dog in a tiny crate with a muzzle on and another photo tied to a tree..
It is strange that Taylortown has a population of about 800 people but adopted 6 police dogs for a canine
police program that never seemed to have existed..

Fuller has been fired this week because of threatening to use LEO powers to track down the posters of the
facebook page Bring Howard Home...

Also I don't think the issue is playing out on social media..I think that is a tool right now to spread the word to a lot of people and groups who care about our vets & the war dogs.. It may very well end up in the courts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina