Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 22,799 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who has moved from Ohio to NC that can help me? I am relocating and need some advice and comparison. I am a single parent in my early 30's so was originally considering Greensboro or Winston Salem, but remembered that is the population of the places I have lived here and want something new and different so I can grow as a person. Also, the quality of life in those places don't seem as good as Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte's population will take some getting used to but from what I've read is more family oriented and kid friendly than Raleigh. Ok so to the point, does Charlotte resemble Cleveland with a larger population or does it resemble Columbus more? What city does Raleigh resemble? I know these are two different states and will be different in many ways just trying to nail it down and get a better idea of where I would like to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi_lex View Post
Is there anyone who has moved from Ohio to NC that can help me? I am relocating and need some advice and comparison. I am a single parent in my early 30's so was originally considering Greensboro or Winston Salem, but remembered that is the population of the places I have lived here and want something new and different so I can grow as a person. Also, the quality of life in those places don't seem as good as Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte's population will take some getting used to but from what I've read is more family oriented and kid friendly than Raleigh. Ok so to the point, does Charlotte resemble Cleveland with a larger population or does it resemble Columbus more? What city does Raleigh resemble? I know these are two different states and will be different in many ways just trying to nail it down and get a better idea of where I would like to live.
Please take this advice in positive spirit, because that is certainly the intent..

The size of the place doesn't matter as long as it has what you want. You can grow as a human anywhere. So, instead of looking at the size of places, decide on what things will help you do that. When you say "quality of life", pick some things that you know will improve your life. Have you checked locations of nursing schools? That, I think, should be a priority.

NC is not going to be Ohio, only southern.

No one on here can tell you what place is better. It's imperative that you visit each. Drive around during rush hours to see what you think.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:12 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Many people thing the quality of life in G'boro and Winston-Salem is better than Charlotte or Raleigh. Like Sue said, its about what is important to your quality of life.

Both Charlotte and Raleigh are pretty family oriented, although both have plenty for singles too. The same can be said of G'boro and W-S.

And you absolutely need to visit and spend some time in these cities.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Both Charlotte and Raleigh resemble Columbus more so than either Cleveland or Cincinnati. Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Columbus are all of similar size with white-collar economies and lack the industrial history of Cleveland and Cincinnati. Columbus and Raleigh are both state capitals and college cities, while Columbus and Charlotte and closer to the same size as cities and are business-oriented so they have a similar feel in that respect.

But I wouldn't discount Greensboro or Winston-Salem. In Ohio, their closest peers would be Dayton, Akron, and Toledo and they offer a lot for their size. But in terms of which will be the best fit for you would depend on several factors such as cost of living, your line of work, preferred amenities, etc.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Please take this advice in positive spirit, because that is certainly the intent..

The size of the place doesn't matter as long as it has what you want. You can grow as a human anywhere. So, instead of looking at the size of places, decide on what things will help you do that. When you say "quality of life", pick some things that you know will improve your life. Have you checked locations of nursing schools? That, I think, should be a priority.

NC is not going to be Ohio, only southern.

No one on here can tell you what place is better. It's imperative that you visit each. Drive around during rush hours to see what you think.

Good luck.

Thanks but the size and growth of a place actually does matter. I come from a small city where everyone knows everyone which makes it sort of cliquish and not welcoming to newcomers. People can make a city regardless of what the city itself has to offer. An improved quality of life is an important concern of mine coming from Ohio, better weather, low crime, although racism is everywhere there is an overabundance of it here and segregation and that is my main reason for relocating. There are great nursing schools in both areas. Of course I will be making a couple of visits before actually moving but I don't think that will be enough. Sometimes it takes living in a place for a while to get a real feel for it.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Many people thing the quality of life in G'boro and Winston-Salem is better than Charlotte or Raleigh. Like Sue said, its about what is important to your quality of life.

Both Charlotte and Raleigh are pretty family oriented, although both have plenty for singles too. The same can be said of G'boro and W-S.

And you absolutely need to visit and spend some time in these cities.

Thanks. I guess what I am looking for is a real upgrade. After-all the place you choose should be your best move which is why my criteria is a bit much.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both Charlotte and Raleigh resemble Columbus more so than either Cleveland or Cincinnati. Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Columbus are all of similar size with white-collar economies and lack the industrial history of Cleveland and Cincinnati. Columbus and Raleigh are both state capitals and college cities, while Columbus and Charlotte and closer to the same size as cities and are business-oriented so they have a similar feel in that respect.

But I wouldn't discount Greensboro or Winston-Salem. In Ohio, their closest peers would be Dayton, Akron, and Toledo and they offer a lot for their size. But in terms of which will be the best fit for you would depend on several factors such as cost of living, your line of work, preferred amenities, etc.

Thanks. That is why I am leaning more toward Charlotte I don't want a college town vibe but one that has more culture and a homey feeling to it.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks but the size and growth of a place actually does matter. I come from a small city where everyone knows everyone which makes it sort of cliquish and not welcoming to newcomers. People can make a city regardless of what the city itself has to offer. An improved quality of life is an important concern of mine coming from Ohio, better weather, low crime, although racism is everywhere there is an overabundance of it here and segregation and that is my main reason for relocating. There are great nursing schools in both areas. Of course I will be making a couple of visits before actually moving but I don't think that will be enough. Sometimes it takes living in a place for a while to get a real feel for it.
Lots of places have better weather than OH, low crime and little racism. I would encourage to think deeply about whats important to you, and especially about the financial realities of your relocation. What is your budget for housing? Are you prepared to pay $1200 to $1500 a month, plus utilities? Have you looked into what you will be able to earn in NC? Have you looked into how much nursing school will cost?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Another concern is that there are more born and raised in WS and Greensboro than Raleigh and CH. Seems I would be culture shocked and I want nothing to drive me back to this place they also seem to be a little behind as the other places seem more up to par.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That is why I am leaning more toward Charlotte I don't want a college town vibe but one that has more culture and a homey feeling to it.
The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is a large, spread out metropolitan area of about 2 million people. And while it is home to 3 major universities, and many other smaller ones, only Chapel Hill has anything resembling a college town vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina