Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 01:22 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times

Advertisements

lol whatever you literally said segregation right there in the title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
lol whatever you literally said segregation right there in the title
I also said "info" and "possible" and "on" and "move" and "diversity".

Does someone using the word "segregation" mean they are accusing you of something? Do you know what context means?

Did you read my post?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I also said "info" and "possible" and "on" and "move" and "diversity".

Does someone using the word "segregation" mean they are accusing you of something? Do you know what context means?

Did you read my post?
i dont really care honestly diversity is in every corner of the state if you want to find a place matching your current biases about diversity chapel hill, downtown durham, and cary would all be good picks

Old 03-02-2016, 06:23 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
To the OP:

I'm a pretty reasonable, open-minded person, but I do have to admit that when I saw the term "Segregation" in the title of the thread, it did raise a red flag and make me wonder what sort of misconceptions you were already holding. Then I read your first post, and it was nothing like the title of the thread.

I think in many parts of the country, older and more settled neighborhoods tend to be comprised of like people. The newer neighborhoods tend to be more diverse. I don't think NC is much different from the rest of the country in that regard.

I think you can find what you are looking for in either Charlotte or Durham.. or many other cities in NC. Best wishes in your search.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
The South is much less segregated than the North.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
To the OP:

I'm a pretty reasonable, open-minded person, but I do have to admit that when I saw the term "Segregation" in the title of the thread, it did raise a red flag and make me wonder what sort of misconceptions you were already holding. Then I read your first post, and it was nothing like the title of the thread.

I think in many parts of the country, older and more settled neighborhoods tend to be comprised of like people. The newer neighborhoods tend to be more diverse. I don't think NC is much different from the rest of the country in that regard.

I think you can find what you are looking for in either Charlotte or Durham.. or many other cities in NC. Best wishes in your search.
Thanks

Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
I moved here from the Midwest and can honestly say that it is much more diverse and WAY more accepting of different ethnic groups and races here in Raleigh than where I came from. When I got ready to move down here, many people in the town I was from made comments about how bad it was to live in the south and how we would have to live near people who were different from us, as if that were a bad thing.

North Carolina is a great state to live in, with great people.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The South is much less segregated than the North.
^^ True.

And as far as diversity, North Carolina, especially the rural areas, doesn't have the Jewish population that the urban Northeast (i.e. Boston, NYC, etc.) has. People in NC, for the most part, are open towards Jewish people, but they may lack familiarity with Jewish traditions, holidays, etc. that people in the Northeast are more accustomed to because people of Jewish faith/ethnicity comprise a much larger percentage of that region's population. Still, Durham, Charlotte, and several other reasonably sized NC cities have a larger Jewish population that you'd find in much of the rural part of the state, where Jewish people are a rarity and people in the state's rural regions are surprised, more than anything, to even find a Jewish person in their communities.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:31 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Winston Salem is a great, city. More arts and that kind of thing. No big fan of Durham.

Yes, we do get tired of all the "are you all racists posts." Those people that are, should not affect you, The vast majority of people are like people everywhere.

You will find people are much more suspicious of your "newness" than your ethnicity or religion. NC has seen a great influx of people wanting to come here, but then, not being able to stop telling us how much better "it" was where they fled from.

Good Luck!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:43 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Boy, are you a fun one! Sounds like I touched a nerve. Tell me, how many times a week do you vent your irrational frustration that people think of you as racist because of where you live? Stop thinking...that’s a rhetorical question.

Meh, there's at least one in every thread who has a bizarre way of reading into things, drawing massively erroneous conclusions, being defensive, and exhibiting a lack of basic reading comprehension (i.e. you).

You’re one crazy little cookie my friend. But hey, I love cookies. Especially the chewy ones.

I understand exactly what he was saying, though he was a bit harsh with his reply...many people outside of our region view southern states as segregated and racist, while the truth is that the races here have been living and working together (for the most part) for more than a century. There honestly isn't a major city in NC that is as segregated as Boston, and our cities are more diverse than the credit they receive. The Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte (in addition to others) are all nice areas where you will find liberals as well as conservatives within ethnically and racially diverse communities. For example, Winston-Salem has a large Greek community and was founded by Moravians - a very tolerant group of people. It has a large, renowned arts scene/district and a diverse economy. I'm sure every major NC city has a similar story with a good list of advantages that may appeal to you. Each urban school system has some great individual schools and a number of private schools. Raleigh Charlotte and Winston-Salem all have large, respected Catholic K-12 schools.

I hope you look at all the options in our state with an open mind and find one that best fits your needs. You'll generally find people here are friendly and tolerant and you'll find enough transplants from the Northeast to make you feel at home. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina