Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:34 PM

238 posts, read 338,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Keep on driving and use the facilities in SC.
................Va just vetoed a similar bill and Ga was smart too. NC is now hearing a Whooooosh... sound from Big Business.

I am real sorry for your state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 02:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesunlight View Post
wow, north carolinians are not in a joking mood. Or they're too young to remember who pat was on snl.
Which bathroom should I use in NC?-pat.jpg

V.C. Rogers already beat you to that one.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
................Va just vetoed a similar bill and Ga was smart too. NC is now hearing a Whooooosh... sound from Big Business.

I am real sorry for your state!
I feel really sorry for big business that has a problem with our laws. I am more concerned with Charlotte city council who thinks we need a law about going to the bathroom. Nothing but a little common sense could have prevented this whole thing.

And this is the second time our attorney general has refused to defend our people by doing his job. He should forget about running for governor. When you don't do the job you were voted in to do; don't expect to be voted in to do another job.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:51 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I feel really sorry for big business that has a problem with our laws. I am more concerned with Charlotte city council who thinks we need a law about going to the bathroom. Nothing but a little common sense could have prevented this whole thing.

And this is the second time our attorney general has refused to defend our people by doing his job. He should forget about running for governor. When you don't do the job you were voted in to do; don't expect to be voted in to do another job.
The issue with that statement is; the Attorney General is responsible for upholding the constitution. If AG believes a law is unconstitutional (which many believe HB2 is); they do not have to defend it.

Roy Cooper is not the first AG of a state to refuse to defend a law when a state is being sued over it. Not by a longshot.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The issue with that statement is; the Attorney General is responsible for upholding the constitution. If AG believes a law is unconstitutional (which many believe HB2 is); they do not have to defend it.

Roy Cooper is not the first AG of a state to refuse to defend a law when a state is being sued over it. Not by a longshot.
He won't last long in North Carolina doing that. My Democrat husband that probably voted for him in the primary stated that he will never vote for him again. I then pointed out to him that he also refused to uphold the decision of the voters when that issue was voted on. And if he took the oath of office to represent North Carolina, he swore to uphold our states decisions. Whether it is constitutional or not is not his right to make that decision. He should defend our state decisions or resign. Right now the voters of our state has no one defending us.

As a governor is he going to pick and choose which laws HE likes. Public servants don't get to pick and choose whether or not they like the laws.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
He won't last long in North Carolina doing that. My Democrat husband that probably voted for him in the primary stated that he will never vote for him again. I then pointed out to him that he also refused to uphold the decision of the voters when that issue was voted on. And if he took the oath of office to represent North Carolina, he swore to uphold our states decisions. Whether it is constitutional or not is not his right to make that decision. He should defend our state decisions or resign. Right now the voters of our state has no one defending us.

As a governor is he going to pick and choose which laws HE likes. Public servants don't get to pick and choose whether or not they like the laws.
Cooper refused to take Amendment 1 to court after our federal district court threw out Virginia's law against gay marriage. Going forward with it would have been a total waste of money. HB2 is a hodgepodge of items, many of which are against federal laws, like forcing trans children into bathrooms in schools.

If you are good with the attorney general wasting money, that's your right. Write him & tell him that you don't care if it's a waste of time & money.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Keep on driving and use the facilities in SC.
Agree!
My co worker was going back to Philly driving. She told me that Gaffney in SC has cheap gas.
She just filled the tank there and drove non-stop thru NC.
I plan to do the same when going back home to Miami this Summer, ie not stopping in NC unless it is an emergency.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:16 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cooper refused to take Amendment 1 to court after our federal district court threw out Virginia's law against gay marriage. Going forward with it would have been a total waste of money. HB2 is a hodgepodge of items, many of which are against federal laws, like forcing trans children into bathrooms in schools.

If you are good with the attorney general wasting money, that's your right.write him & tell him that you don't care if it's a waste of time & money.
He is not going to listen to me and neither is the Charlotte city council. The Charlotte city council decided that straight men and women and children do not matter. Did they stop to consider how uncomfortable a woman would feel if a six feet tall man comes into a shower in the ladies dressing room and can see over into the next stall? Ladies and children don't matter to them nor our feelings. Gays and transgender are the only people to be considered. If we mattered they would have considered our feelings too when they made their stupid law.

If the only people who matter fill your town, what would it become? Think about it. White children have been jerked around for years in Charlotte so the racial mix will be equal. Now the racial mix of blacks is back to where it used to be because the whites moved out of town. I am glad our state has better judgment of what it wants to be. I stopped watching the Charlotte news because I am tired of seeing what crimes are being committed in the town and the schools.

I wish people would consider the mental capacity of those they are voting for before they mark their ballot. Crazy people make crazy decisions. And BTW I haven't lost a thing in Charlotte. No reason to go there.

Last edited by NCN; 03-31-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
He is not going to listen to me and neither is the Charlotte city council. The Charlotte city council decided that straight men and women and children do not matter. Did they stop to consider how uncomfortable a woman would feel if a six feet tall man comes into a shower in the ladies dressing room and can see over into the next stall? Ladies and children don't matter to them nor our feelings. Gays and transgender are the only people to be considered. If we mattered they would have considered our feelings too when they made their stupid law.
Do you really think that trans people have not been in ladies rooms? I'm not that much younger than you are. For over 40 years I have been in ladies rooms with them on occasion. I never once realized who they really were at the time. Each time, at a later point, the light bulb went on. I promise you, you have shared public bathrooms with them.

Granted, I would have worded the Charlotte law differently. However, I am concerned about my safety with the handy-dandy law as written in HB2.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
I think those on the Right have confused trans-gender with cross dressing and the sexual issue. A bunch of RWNJ who have never even known what trans gender is beyond what they have seen about Jenner.

The clowns in the GA and our Gov. has made a mistake and took the available time to add other items on the bill which all should be against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: