Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,510 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband has taken a job in Fayetteville. It is just the two of us and two dogs. We know nothing of the area. We were looking in Spring Lake, Fayetteville, and surrounding areas. We are an interracial couple that would like to be in a fairly mixed/diverse area.
Any insight on what Spring Lake is like? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Spring Lake is mostly not great. I think Anderson Creek Club has a Spring Lake address and it's nice, but most of the rest not so much. In what part of town is the job? Are you looking to rent? Buy? House? Apartment? Budget?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:18 AM

233 posts, read 243,386 times
A lot of IR couples in Fayetteville/Spring Lake compared to the surrounding areas. Pinehurst, Southpines, and Sanford has a little too much old south to make you guys feel a little uncomfortable. When you come here you can tell where all the not so pleasant areas are at. In Fayetteville its out in the open. Welcome to my hometown. If you any other questions give a holla

Old 09-12-2015, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,510 times
Thanks for the replies! Genuinely appreciate this! We are looking to buy a house. We don't want to go above 250k. The job is at Pope Army Airfield.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:57 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
You can check out the methodist college area of Ramsey St. and around the corner on Andrews Rd around the Pine Forest High School Region in Fayetteville. This area is starting to build up, and you have newer neighborhoods, with a lot of military families, and homes in your price range.

There is no real reason not to just live in Fayetteville as there are quiet safe neighborhoods there, but if you go the Spring Lake route, you can check out Manchester Forest and Lake Tree Neighborhoods, they are connected to each other, closer to pope, have a lot of people that are either military, or are civilians that work on bragg and pope, the fire department and police station are in the neighborhood, and so is the rec center. You can also check out deer field.

Interracial shouldn't be any issue, growing up there I saw it all the time.

Fayetteville has it's issues but people blow the crime issue way out of proportion, honestly it's really boils down to areas around the Murc(Murchison Road), Shaw Road, and Bragg Blvd, none of these areas have places that anybody that don't live there would say, oh let me go here to eat, are work, or hang out, honestly if you don't live there then why are you there. Even if you are there still not that big of issue as 9x10 if you here something it happen between people familiar with each other.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,256 times
...honestly it's really boils down to areas around the Murc(Murchison Road), Shaw Road, and Bragg Blvd...

Absolutely not true. We lived (for 4-1/2 yrs.) in one of the really nice, older neighborhoods off of Ramsey Street, and we had a home invasion on our street, the house on one side of us was burglarized twice, and the people on the other side of us had one car windshield smashed twice with large cement construction bricks. Never lived in a place with so much crime, and I've lived in towns and cities all up and down the east coast.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
...honestly it's really boils down to areas around the Murc(Murchison Road), Shaw Road, and Bragg Blvd...

Absolutely not true. We lived (for 4-1/2 yrs.) in one of the really nice, older neighborhoods off of Ramsey Street, and we had a home invasion on our street, the house on one side of us was burglarized twice, and the people on the other side of us had one car windshield smashed twice with large cement construction bricks. Never lived in a place with so much crime, and I've lived in towns and cities all up and down the east coast.
Agreed, crime happens anywhere in Fayetteville. I lived off Reilly between Cliffdale and Morganton and my street had 3 break ins in the 2 years I lived there, 1 armed robbery of someone walking at 9PM, and 2 homicides. This Loch Lomond, not a poor neighborhood but certainly not rich. The neighborhood across the street had the same. OP I lived in Fayetteville as a white man with a black girlfriend and her children, and encountered no issues. That girlfriend's sister lived off Robeson and had to deal with a shooting 2 blocks away. The neighborhood I used to live in, Southgate off Raeford Rd, there was a massive shooting where over 70 shots were fired. There were several robberies and shootings at gas stations and stores on Reilly and of course Skibo and Raeford Rd and Ramsey and Morganton hell, everywhere. The only way you're guaranteed safety in Fayetteville is if you live in a gated community with a security guard or have a very strong, armed neighborhood watch. I also have never lived in a place with so much crime, and I've lived in Massachusetts, Florida, New Jersey, California, Arkansas, South Carolina and several NC cities.

OP, if you guys don't HAVE to move to Fayetteville you shouldn't do it. You will hate it. There are a handful of people that like it, usually realtors or people who haven't lived anywhere else. Spring Lake is far worse, btw.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,256 times
Thanks, Lord, for providing more info that backs up what I posted earlier. You and I are on the same page with this. Would I EVER suggest or recommend someone move to Fayetteville????

NO.

And yes, Spring Lake IS worse.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Smack, I grew up in Fayetteville, and while I wouldn't choose to live there now, I don't know anyone personally who was a victim of a violent crime. It certainly does happen, but if you stay in the nicer areas of town it's rare. My parents' home was broken into several times over the 50+ years they lived there, but only when no one was home. I have also had my house broken into in Chapel Hill. That kind of stuff happens everywhere unfortunately.

I am still in touch with many of the folks I went to high school and college with and quite a few decided to go back to Fayetteville after college. I have not heard of any of them running into trouble with crime. If you've already accepted a job there I think it can be fine. There is some good stuff going on there, too. Check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ille-trip.html.

I'm usually down there every two weeks or so to visit my elderly aunt. I don't get around town as much as I used to, but there are some nicer new areas.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-14-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
(Jerry) Spring(er) Lake.

Someone on this forum called it that in an older thread and judging by the numerous posters who have mentioned how awful the town is, I think it's safe to say the stereotype is probably accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina