Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,142 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am sure you guys get this question all the time, but my husband and I (Early 30's) are going to be relocating to North Carolina in the next two months and are looking at housing. We can move anywhere in the state, as long as cable internet is possible and fairly reliable (Husband works from home). My work I can find pretty much anywhere, and am happy to look for a new position as long as we are able to move out of Michigan.

-Where you are working: From home

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $1,100 or less/month (not including utilities) - we are look to rent a house, not a townhouse or apartment

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Not applicable

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?: No kids, not expecting soon

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: The largest thing to us is safety. We do not like partying really, but we do enjoy going out to try new local restaurants/community events (Art fairs, local music, etc). We are happy to live in a city as long as it's a relatively safe area, but are also just as happy to live outside of a city as long as it isn't DSL or satellite internet for work.

-Community amenities important to you: Local festivals/community activities around the area are something we enjoy, we love independent/local markets and restaurants/food trucks. Those are all a plus to us though, not an absolute necessity

Was wondering mostly where around the state can we realistically find this? And in those areas - are there any realty companies that any of you may have experiencing renting houses from? There seem to be quite a few rental companies, and I'd love to hear some recommendations/feedback as it's hard to know really what ones are good and are not.

Thanks! Really appreciate the help =) We are coming down next weekend to visit, but I want to be prepared when we arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriimi View Post
.....-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $1,100 or less/month (not including utilities) - we are look to rent a house, not a townhouse or apartment .....
Was wondering mostly where around the state can we realistically find this? .....
We are coming down next weekend to visit, but I want to be prepared when we arrive.
Where are you starting your search? If you are flying into Charlotte, you can find some houses in your price range on Craigslist. Many of them are in safe neighborhoods. Do you prefer brand-new or vintage housing? Charlotte certainly has food trucks and festivals.

Other than your budget, your criteria are way too broad to suggest anything. The larger cities like Raleigh and Durham will give you food trucks and festivals. There are literally dozens of safe suburbs around the Triangle where you can rent a house.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-29-2016 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 11:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Hello!

I am sure you guys get this question all the time, but my husband and I (Early 30's) are going to be relocating to North Carolina in the next two months and are looking at housing. We can move anywhere in the state, as long as cable internet is possible and fairly reliable (Husband works from home). My work I can find pretty much anywhere, and am happy to look for a new position as long as we are able to move out of Michigan.

-Where you are working: From home

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $1,100 or less/month (not including utilities) - we are look to rent a house, not a townhouse or apartment

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Not applicable

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?: No kids, not expecting soon

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: The largest thing to us is safety. We do not like partying really, but we do enjoy going out to try new local restaurants/community events (Art fairs, local music, etc). We are happy to live in a city as long as it's a relatively safe area, but are also just as happy to live outside of a city as long as it isn't DSL or satellite internet for work.

-Community amenities important to you: Local festivals/community activities around the area are something we enjoy, we love independent/local markets and restaurants/food trucks. Those are all a plus to us though, not an absolute necessity

Was wondering mostly where around the state can we realistically find this? And in those areas - are there any realty companies that any of you may have experiencing renting houses from? There seem to be quite a few rental companies, and I'd love to hear some recommendations/feedback as it's hard to know really what ones are good and are not.

Thanks! Really appreciate the help =) We are coming down next weekend to visit, but I want to be prepared when we arrive.
Your housing budget is on the low end. You can probably find what you want if you stay to the perimeters of the metros.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:34 AM

398 posts, read 498,536 times
I'd suggest you look at Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Nice mid sized cities with lots of good, safe neighborhoods, reasonably priced rentals, nice mix of festivals and things to do. Even a food truck festival:

Greensboro Food Truck Festivals - Spring Garden Food Truck Festival

Old 04-30-2016, 05:50 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Do you like the mountains? The beach? Is neither one important to you? We have it all here in NC, and since you have so much freedom about where you work, you have lots of choices depending on what is important to have nearby.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
greensboro, easy.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:48 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Greensboro/Winston-Salem area for sure. There are still very affordable homes for rent in that region. However, you could possibly save money if you're willing to buy. For example, I live in a townhouse in Charlotte. My mortgage is $850/month for a 3br with a loft, 2 1/2 bath-1 car garage unit. Some of my neighbors (who are renters) are paying $1,300/month plus. Many home owners in my community are getting $200-300 monthly positive cash flows when they rent out their homes.

It depends on the city and neighborhood, but I'd suggest that you investigate the rental cost vs the buying cost of any place you're interested in.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 AM

I think you should settle on which part of the state you want to be in before asking about rental companies. Most property management companies are local. Looking for rentals on Realtor.com or a regional Craigslist will get you what's available.

BTW, Asheville and Hendersonville are very nice. Asheville is foodie heaven, but your rental budget won't get you much. If you would like being close to Asheville, you might check Arden or Fletcher.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,142 times
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. To respond to some of it:

- We do like the beach, but do not want as rural/sparse as some of the east side of the state can seem to be. It seems like Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Charlotte/Raleigh/Durham are where we are mainly interested as we continue to look.
- We don't want to buy yet, we do plan to buy in NC in the next few years, but we want to live in the state first so we can get a feel of the different areas and be certain we like an area we want to buy in as opposed to guessing from short visits from out of state.
- We don't mind new or vintage housing. As long as it has cable internet for his job, safe, has w/d hookups, and allows 4 cats, we would probably be happy with it.
- I have reached out to some realty companies in both Charlotte and Raleigh and received little response compared to what I was hoping/expecting. I'll keep trying this route though, as it seems like looking on renting websites (Zillow, Trulia, etc) it is just repeatedly contacting the same companies who send me the same message.

Thank you for all your feedback, it's really helping!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
- I have reached out to some realty companies in both Charlotte and Raleigh and received little response compared to what I was hoping/expecting.
The rental market is hot is both Charlotte and Raleigh. Good houses may be taken within hours. It does not help that you have 4 cats.

Be patient. You may have to be ready to write a check the minute you see a house you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina