Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM

17 posts, read 162,732 times

Advertisements

A big hello to all, I am new here.

With choice of work in both cities, I am seeking assistance as to which would be a better place to move for me and my family -- Raleigh, or Greensboro? I would appreciate any and all comparisons of the two. Please shed some light concerning the overall housing market, property taxes, commutes, restaurants etc. We would love a home anywhere between 150K-250K in a nice area.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 01:55 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,277 times
Default GSO vs RAL

I have a Greensboro vs. Raleigh comparison floating around in the archives around here. I have lived in both areas and prefer GSO, but opinions differ.

A very quick summary of the two:

- Housing prices in GSO are lower than in Raleigh. There are still some good prices within the city of GSO, and the surrounding areas aren't very crowded - there is still a large supply of open land surrounding GSO, which has kept the prices in the suburbs reasonable in my opinion.
- Less traffic congestion in GSO than RAL
- Probably no significant difference in restaurants.
- RAL has a more diverse economy with the high-tech industry. GSO has a more blue-collar feel, although there is still plenty of white-collar business.
- RAL and the Triangle have a larger university presence.
- GSO is 1.5 hours closer to the mountains, in case that's something you like to do.
- GSO has "prettier" land in my opinion - more hardwood trees and hills.
- Not as many transplants in GSO hiking up the cost of living. You will probably find more NC natives in GSO than you will in RAL - if you're looking for more people in your situation, RAL would be the better choice.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 162,732 times
Default Thank you!!

Jas, you rock! Thanks so much!

S.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
I lived in Raleigh many years ago ('82-85) and live in Greensboro now (since '91). I have a sister-in-law in Raleigh that I visit from time to time. JAS's comparison sounds pretty dead on.

I love it here in Greensboro. In my opinion, it's less crowded and the traffic isn't as bad. Less of a rush here it seems.

There are a few colleges here in Greensboro - UNCG, Bennett College, NC A & T State University, Guilford College, Guilford Technical Community College. There's also a military academy in Oak Ridge, I believe.

We have most of the chain restaurants and some local restaurants. There's also some good shopping. Especially at Four Seasons Town Center (the mall) and Friendly Shopping Center.

There are some nice small towns surrounding Greensboro if you'd like a small-town feel close to the city. Pleasant Garden (which I love), Oak Ridge, Level Cross, Summerfield, Colfax, Julian, Franklinville, Forest Oaks, Climax, etc.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 PM

56 posts, read 324,487 times
Red face Greensboro vs Raleigh

This is just a different perspecitve:

~Healthcare is much better in Raleigh unless you drive 45 minutes West to Wake Forest. I'm not from Greensboro. I've lived in 6 different East Coast States and the healthcare here in Greensboro is lacking. Wake Forest is great, but you have to make an appt for a pediatric endocrinologist 4 months ahead of time. Slow! There is NO pediatric endo here in Greensboro.

~Greensboro is more backwoods that Raleigh. I'm in Greensboro and there is just nothing here. My teen and I are both Bored! There is a zoo about a half an hour south and thats great, but not much else.

~ Raleigh is closer to the ocean and the NC coast is beautiful - big time. The schools in Greensboro are nothing fascinating, but some of the colleges are really nice. High Point (kinda on the south end of Greensboro) is having alot of difficulties because they are bussing students everywhere and many of these kids are on the bus for more than an hour. So the parents that paid extra money to live in a nice house and be close to a good school are dealing with issues because they are bussing their kids an hour away to a city school. It seems crazy just thinking about the gas prices of all those busses driving so far.

Thats about all I have. I'm sure you can find a decent place to live in either city. So are you more for a bigger city (although neither are that big) closer to the ocean or a smaller place with more of a country feel, closer to the mountains.

Best of Luck to you!

Old 06-16-2006, 08:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,076 times
Raleigh's economy is stronger and offers more and better-paying jobs. (That can actually describe the entire Triangle area: Raleigh, Durham and ChapelHill.)

Raleigh has a better developed and more lively downtown than Greensboro does. (I've never actually been able to pin-point a real downtown in Greensboro hardly.)

Raleigh's only 2 hours to the beach.
Raleigh's the state capital. Free museums to take your family to, and other similar sites.

I disagree with those who say Raleigh's traffic is worse than Greensboro. Most of the traffic problems here are in the outlying suburbs. Inside the core of Raleigh, traffic is actually quite manageable. My commute to work is like 5 minutes.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,277 times
Default Different opinions

I don't mind the different opinions on Greensboro - I agree that some people will be bored here. I think it has enough to offer most people, but the economy in the Ral/Durham area is more diverse. GSO still has the feel of an traditional southern town - for some that's a positive, for others that's a negative.

I will add, however, that the nightlife in downtown Greensboro is improving, especially for the younger set. I will also disagree with Rob and maintain that the traffic in Raleigh is worse than in GSO since I experience both on a regular basis.

I will also disagree that healthcare is "lacking" for a city its size. It doesn't have the facilities of a Boston, NY, Atlanta, etc, but I doubt that Moses Cone Hospital in GSO is as any worse than other cities in its peer group. Besides, Duke Hospital is only a 45-minute or an hour drive from most parts of GSO if someone really needed extensive treatment, and the Wake Forest Medical Center is only a half hour away.

Differing opinions are great for this forum - people see things differently and have different experiences. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
I love Greensboro (did I say that already? lol) and am never bored. But then it doesn't take much to amuse me lol and I have no interest in clubs, bars, parties and the like. I'm perfectly content with entertaining myself at home and going shopping. lol Greensboro does have clubs and bars though if you're into that kind of thing. We also have movie theaters, parks, museums, etc.

Spend some time in both cities, drive around, check things out. Decide for yourself which city seems to be the best fit for you. Both are great cities, but Greensboro is a better fit for me and my family.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 55,458 times
It depends on what you want in a city. I grew up about 30 minutes from Raleigh and I went to college there and lived there a total of 24 years. I have lived in Greensboro for 13 years. My greatest wish is to move back to Raleigh. There is a lot of energy there. Inside the Beltline (ITB) is the best place to live. You will pay more but it will be worth it. That area has always appreciated faster. North Raleigh and Cary are very congested. A big plus is that Raleigh property tax is much lower than Greensboro property tax. Another factor is that Raleigh has much better local government that Greensboro. Good luck in finding what fits your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina