Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 08:46 PM

352 posts, read 551,065 times

Advertisements

North Carolina Senate Contest Suddenly Turns Tight - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Ugh, I got this
Quote:
To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In
Why WSJ say are they concern ?

Old 08-22-2016, 09:08 PM

352 posts, read 551,065 times
Hmm.. that's weird. That wasn't there when I first saw it.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
The link works for me. Here's some of the article (bolding is mine):

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.—Among the threats to the GOP majority in the U.S. Senate this year, few Republicans worried about North Carolina, thanks in part to the state’s conservative-leaning military bases and rural communities filled with working-class voters.

Until now. In the past few months, a new set of political currents has coalesced to make two-term GOP Sen. Richard Burr vulnerable to an unexpectedly strong challenge from Democrat Deborah Ross, a lawyer and former state legislator who wasn’t even her party’s first choice.

“North Carolina is no longer a lock for Republicans,” wrote Jennifer Duffy, who follows Senate races for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, which on Friday changed its assessment of the race to a toss-up from one that had leaned Republican. A Wall Street Journal/NBC News/Marist poll released earlier this month put Ms. Ross two points ahead of Mr. Burr after earlier being seven points behind.

The new competitiveness in a state once considered an easy win for Republicans is a measure of how the lack of enthusiasm for Donald Trump at the top of the ticket is hampering the party down-ballot. If a state like North Carolina elects a Democratic senator, it could be part of a wave that sweeps into other places that had leaned Republican.

North Carolina’s Republican Party has been so dominant that it controls the governor’s mansion, the Legislature, both U.S. Senate seats and all but three of 13 House seats. But there was political turmoil even before Mr. Trump became a factor. Republican Gov. Pat McCrory, who is up for re-election this fall, roiled Democrats when he signed a law to override a Charlotte ordinance that would have allowed transgender people to use the bathroom corresponding to the sex with which they identify.

Then came Mr. Trump’s ascent. In a state that prides itself on humility, many Republicans aren’t enamored of the brash New York businessman, raising the risk that they simply won’t turn out to vote, or that Democrats will be more motivated to get to the polls.

“I just wish that he’d handle himself more appropriately,” said Rich LaVecchia, a 56-year-old Charlotte resident, echoing a sentiment common around the state. Mr. LaVecchia is a longtime Republican who plans to vote a straight GOP ticket including for the GOP presidential nominee. Nonetheless, he said, “I think all the Republicans are being pulled down by Trump.”

Nowhere are the concerns greater than in vote-rich Mecklenburg County, which has absorbed many of the more than half a million new arrivals to the state since Mr. Burr’s last election in 2010, as banks like Wells Fargo have expanded their Charlotte hubs, and begun sponsoring events like an LGBT festival and parade this past weekend.

On Tuesday, the Mecklenburg County Democrats, joining with presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s campaign, will mount a voter-registration drive, hoping to energize Democrats, especially African-Americans who account for almost half of the party’s registered voters in North Carolina.

There aren’t signs of comparable efforts by the Trump campaign, which is relying heavily on the Republican National Committee’s operations in the state. But Mr. Burr, a policy-oriented chairman of the Intelligence Committee, said he isn’t relying “on anyone’s coattails” in this election. He didn’t appear with Mr. Trump at a rally in Charlotte last week.

Ms. Ross has been working hard to connect with voters, participating in events like one in Wilmington, N.C., last Tuesday with roughly 50 people, mostly African-American women. She emphasized her support for compromise gun-control legislation Mr. Burr opposed and defended the Affordable Care Act. She drew the most enthusiastic response when noting Mr. Burr’s vote against confirming Loretta Lynch, the first black woman to serve as U.S. attorney general.
So far, Mr. Burr’s campaign shows few signs of the retail campaigning associated with competitive contests. It waited until Tuesday to begin TV ads. He brushed off the Journal/NBC News/Marist poll as an outlier, and said voters wouldn’t focus on the race until after Labor Day, when school starts and vacations end.

That worries some Republicans. “People tell you to save all your money for the end—I’ve always thought that was a mistake, ” said Carter Wrenn, a longtime North Carolina GOP operative who helped elect former Sen. Jesse Helms (R., N.C.). “Getting in a strong position is more important than saving money for the end.”

If Mr. Burr does win, it could be thanks to voters like Brock Shahan, a 29-year-old banking consultant who just moved to Charlotte from Tulsa, Okla., and has no idea who Mr. Burr is. “I’m a registered Republican but I hate Trump,” said Mr. Shahan. He said he would likely vote for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, for president, and then “I’ll probably do a straight [Republican] ticket for the rest.”

Last edited by BC1960; 08-24-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Geez, I thought Burr was toast from Day 1.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Geez, I thought Burr was toast from Day 1.
Really? Based on what? Any idiot with an "R" after their name is a shoo-in in NC these days, it seems.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Really? Based on what? Any idiot with an "R" after their name is a shoo-in in NC these days, it seems.
Well, I'll try my best to help make sure he gets "shooed-out"!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well, I'll try my best to help make sure he gets "shooed-out"!
LOL, amen to that!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
A candidates first concern should be for the people he serves. Years ago when Elizabeth Doyle was still in office we had a major flood in the North Carolina mountains. There was a big fund raiser which Burr attended but he could not find the time to go visit the people who had lost everything. I decided that day to not forget his actions the next time he was up for reelection. Well I just checked out Ross. No way will I be voting for her. It's a policy thing. We just had a man in a wheel chair protect himself from three teen robbers because he had a gun. Leave our guns alone!

Last edited by NCN; 08-24-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 02:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ugh, I got this
Why WSJ say are they concern ?
Trying opening an incognito window to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina