Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
All this talk about tall buildings made me think about Austin's recent addition to its skyline that ended the low-slung height consistency that seemed deliberate as to say" we're not Dallas or Houston, we're a better, more human-scaled city."

And while I hate that Raleighites couldn't care less about tall buildings or impressive additions to the humble skyline...

I like that Raleigh's core is filling in with lots of 15-20 story buildings giving downtown more breadth. It's uniquely Raleigh, and it's an appropriate look for the capital for a state of a thousand Mayberry's.

I've always thought Raleigh should look like Richmond, not do the tall tower thing like everyone else. Charlotte is NC's city.

Greensboro's time will come, and curiously Winston-Salem hasn't been mentioned once.

The Triad has a different history that will shape its future.

Durham's recent upswing has to do with all the usuals, along with plenty of "diamonds in the rough" redevelopment properties, and simply the "we're not Raleigh, we're not mainstream." mentality.
but Greensboros time is now

besides the new signature parks that have opened up downtown, Greensboro has 3 decent building proposals along with a signature skyscraper, one 13 stories, one 20 stories, one 10 stories, and the project 561, project 561 will sit across the street from the 4 acre mixed use bellemeade village square, which also has an 8 story hyyatt place conference hotel. Along with the 7 story block of luxury apartments going up right in front of the ball park,

Roy carroll, who also owns bellemeade village and the 18 story center pointe condo tower has recently purchased the land for the project 561 mixed use office tower.

Meanwhile other then that, it's just hotels going up. Don't even get me started on university square and UNCG square. They're building buildings at a rapid pase that throughfare, and can't forget midtown which has a proposal for a 9 story apartment block and a 14 story aloft hotel right infront of where i work.. but also not to forget about the little projects like new resturants and breweries.

People say "oh greensboro can't support that" why?

At the end of the day Greensboro is still the county seat of guilford county, Largest city in the triad, third largest city in NC and aproximately 12.453 people away from hitting 300.000 residents. And after reading the 2016 Greensboro growth trends pdf compared to 2015, Greensboro is doing extremely well. It's not a rapid growth like raliegh, but it's heathy and higher than the national average for mid size cities. And i'll take actual numbers over hear say, any day of the week.

But damn, people putting greensboro down like it's a rinky dink small town in the middle of nowhere.

It's a very atractive growing city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 03:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Bigger question...why are some people still fascinated with city-limits growth as if it means something?

Compare the MSA growth, not the city-limits growth. It may be that the Durham MSA is still growing faster, but that's obviously related to the fact that the Triangle is one of the fastest-growing areas in the nation. The Triad is growing at a more sustainable rate...a rate that keeps the area in the positive but doesn't over tax the area's infrastructure. I'm not saying that booming population growth is bad, but that there is more than one way to grow. I guess being sandwiched in between two of the nations fastest growers makes the Triad seem benign, but it isn't.

I have been saying for the past year that I think the Triad's time is just around the corner. It can't keep flying under the radar being located just 30 minutes or less from the Triangle and Charlotte...the growth is going to flow into the area when people really begin to see it as a viable option.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
All this talk about tall buildings made me think about Austin's recent addition to its skyline that ended the low-slung height consistency that seemed deliberate as to say" we're not Dallas or Houston, we're a better, more human-scaled city."

And while I hate that Raleighites couldn't care less about tall buildings or impressive additions to the humble skyline...

I like that Raleigh's core is filling in with lots of 15-20 story buildings giving downtown more breadth. It's uniquely Raleigh, and it's an appropriate look for the capital for a state of a thousand Mayberry's.

I've always thought Raleigh should look like Richmond, not do the tall tower thing like everyone else. Charlotte is NC's city.

Greensboro's time will come, and curiously Winston-Salem hasn't been mentioned once.

The Triad has a different history that will shape its future.

Durham's recent upswing has to do with all the usuals, along with plenty of "diamonds in the rough" redevelopment properties, and simply the "we're not Raleigh, we're not mainstream." mentality.
The funny thing is that this thread isn't about either Raleigh or Winston-Salem...so I don't know why either needs to be mentioned.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Mecklenburg and Wake are a different force to be reckoned with urbancharlotte. Of all people on this board you should know that best. One million plus... Greensboro just needs to know its place.
Thanks for adding a much-needed element of maturity to this thread.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Thanks for adding a much-needed element of maturity to this thread.

They probably don't know anything outside of North CackaLacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina