Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,884 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Western Kentucky to Sanford, NC. We got to look around Sanford, and have found Mallard Cove Apartments, but have heard that Southern Pines area is much nicer. We are looking for a slower paced area with pretty scenery. There is an apartment complex called Knollwood Apartments in Southern Pines. Does anyone know about this complex? Is it older or newer, well kept, etc.? We did not get to see this area. Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,628 times
I do not have first-hand experience with Knollwood Apts., but do know this entire Lee/Moore/Wake area very well, having lived here going on 20 years, so I think I can give you some insight.
The Southern Pines/Pinehurst area is very nice, but I would say it is Pinehurst that is much nicer than Sanford, with So. Pines being more similar to Sanford. Pinehurst is one of the most affluent areas in the state, with lots of wealthy retirees and professionals. So. Pines/Aberdeen has a mix more like Sanford. You will find a better choice of restaurants in So.Pines/Pinehurst, along with many golf resorts. Sanford also has a decent number of choices for restaurants and shopping, just not as many. Also, So. Pines has one of the prettiest downtowns anywhere in central N.C.
Is the apt. a temporary or permanent home? If you plan to buy a home, Sanford will be more affordable, and there are a number of nice neighborhoods. For quiet and pretty, check out Whispering Pines, about 20 miles south of Sanford, just before you get to So. Pines.
Finally, I can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find an apt. complex as nice and homey as Mallard Cove in Sanford. I've had family members live there and know people currently there and have never heard a complaint. It's more like a small house than an apt. The oldest apts there were built about 10 years ago and the newer section more recently. I googled Knollwood - they look fairly old and small, and the online reviews weren't great. They are near Midland Road which is nice, with lots of golf courses and pine trees, and centrally located in So.Pines. If you want more affordable than stick with Mallard Cove in Sanford. You can hop on US 1 and be in So. Pines in 20 mins. Also, it will take you about 30 mins from Mallard Cove to get to Cary/Raleigh. If you'd like more specifics, feel free to p.m. and I'll try to help.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 AM

Somethng I meant to include in my first post:
I'm not sure So.Pines (while definitely pretty) qualifies as really "quiet" anymore. It is growing quickly with traffic increasing along with it, especially along 1 and 15-501. Every time I'm down there, which is about once a week, there is a new brand-name restaurant or store popping up. It looks very different now than in just a couple of years ago.
Hopefully the growth will be controlled before it starts to look too much like Cary. There's no Target there yet, so guess it's safe for awhile longer....

Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 10,884 times
Thanks MariGirl for your help!!! I've read some of your posts before on the area, and they are really helpful. My husbands job is in Sanford, and the Mallard Cove apartments look really nice! So I think that's where we'll be for awhile while we get used to the area. I looked at the floor plans, and know what you mean about them being like a house. I am just used to a very small community!!! We will adapt, I'm sure, though!!! Thanks again

Old 11-29-2006, 12:56 PM

Glad to help! Once you settle in the area you can explore more... there's a number of tiny, quiet communities in Lee, Moore and Chatham counties, and one may be just what you're looking for.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM

25 posts, read 98,768 times
Default Hamlet

Hi Marigirl, great information. I sent you a PM regarding the city of Hamlet since you seem to know so much about the area. We may be relocated due to husband's work. Wondering how are the schools in the area, we have two school age children.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina