Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:05 AM

218 posts, read 799,308 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to NC next spring/summer. Current thinking is to be between Clayton and Fayetteville. The closer to the middle the better but if we had to choose which to be closer to, it would be Clayton. We are both in healthcare and have an infant son. Not looking for a forever home and with school more than 5 years away, we aren't really concerned with school districts. We are in our early 40s and less interested in rural living. Appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 05:43 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to NC next spring/summer. Current thinking is to be between Clayton and Fayetteville. The closer to the middle the better but if we had to choose which to be closer to, it would be Clayton. .... less interested in rural living.
Well, once outside the Triangle suburbs, you will be in rural country, which you apparently do not want. Thus, I suggest sticking closer to Clayton: Angier, Willow Springs or Fuquay-Varina.

Please check the Raleigh/Durham subforum as there have been frequent questions about one partner having to commute to Fayetteville.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Well, Benson would be the obvious suggestion. If you don't want rural, though, I'd suggest picking on or the other. Clayton is not really a booming metropolis itself, but it would put you a lot closer to Raleigh and the rest of the Triangle.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Well, once outside the Triangle suburbs, you will be in rural country, which you apparently do not want. Thus, I suggest sticking closer to Clayton: Angier, Willow Springs or Fuquay-Varina.

Please check the Raleigh/Durham subforum as there have been frequent questions about one partner having to commute to Fayetteville.
How rural is it? I suppose I should have been more specific. We are coming from WV and when someone lives rural here, it means at least 15-20 minutes to a store, no restaurants and no cable. That doesn't interest us. While we do prefer cities (or at least suburbs) we can deal with country when it means there are still a few options for shopping and dining out relatively close. Will definitely check out the Raleigh forums, thank you!

Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, Benson would be the obvious suggestion. If you don't want rural, though, I'd suggest picking on or the other. Clayton is not really a booming metropolis itself, but it would put you a lot closer to Raleigh and the rest of the Triangle.
I saw that on the map but haven't had much success finding information on Benson. We have family in Clayton and had originally thought to just live there. But if working in Fayetteville, had just hoped there might be a good option to cut down the commute.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:56 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
I saw that on the map but haven't had much success finding information on Benson. We have family in Clayton and had originally thought to just live there. But if working in Fayetteville, had just hoped there might be a good option to cut down the commute.
Well, Benson, Angier and the other towns mentioned will have cable TV and stores. They are not out in the woods, but there will be farms outside of the town center. That's why I call rural. You may find them an acceptable option. There's also Smithfield and Selma which are small towns along I-95. Using the interstate will give you a faster commute to Fayetteville.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-02-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Benson is home to the Mule Days festival and 30 years ago there used to be a big tradition of cruisin' on weekend nights. It's a pretty sleepy place, but it's at the intersection of I-95 and I-40, so it's easy to get places.

Benson, NC - Official Visitor Information | Attraction, Hotels, Shopping, Festivals and More!

Benson, NC | Official Website

If you don't have a job, though, I'm not sure I'd look in Fayetteville specifically. Plenty more healthcare jobs in the Triangle, including at the Durham VA if you've got a military connection.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:37 AM

There are some current openings in Fayetteville that I am qualified for so it's something I'm looking at but not set in stone as we aren't ready to move yet. The main reason I'm considering it is centered on pay. It looks like I would be taking a decent pay cut to work in Raleigh compared to where I am and the positions I saw in Fayetteville indicated a higher salary.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:13 AM

275 posts, read 330,802 times
Smithfield is your best option. It's 40 mins from Faytteville ans 20 mins from Clayton. Stores are easily accessible and there is the Outlet Mall off 95. It's one of the best malls in the with stores like Nike, Bass Outlet, Ralph Polo, Adidas, Bath and Body works, Carolina Pottery, etc. (probably over 50 stores). Most people call Smithfield the beginning of the Triangle due to it being 30 mins from downtown Raleigh as well.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:20 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Smithfield is your best option. It's 40 mins from Faytteville ans 20 mins from Clayton. Stores are easily accessible and there is the Outlet Mall off 95. It's one of the best malls in the with stores like Nike, Bass Outlet, Ralph Polo, Adidas, Bath and Body works, Carolina Pottery, etc. (probably over 50 stores). Most people call Smithfield the beginning of the Triangle due to it being 30 mins from downtown Raleigh as well.
I agree. Smithfield's excellent location at the crossroads of I-95 and US-70 (which is planned to become I-42) makes getting to Fayetteville and the Triangle a breeze, not to mention having direct access to the coast for vacations. The location can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina