Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,238,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That was sort of my point. All of those things are being done aggressively. There really isn't much more that can be done. We keep building, we keep throwing events, and we keep waiting.
To be, rather than to seem.

NC's Motto.

IMO, we should all just be the best we can be and leave it at that.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,922,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is the biggest issue for NC's major metros; they just don't have brand identity. Let's just look at Charlotte and the Triangle and compare them to Nashville and Memphis. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that both TN metros have stronger brand identities then either NC metro. This translates into perceptions that they (TN) are larger and more important than they are. In both cases, Memphis and Nashville are tied to music scenes and genres. It's about the culture.

With Charlotte arguably growing in the mold of Atlanta, what does it have to gain in identity? It's not going to steal Atlanta's de facto status as the capital of the South. Where does that leave the city? In the Triangle, it's growing in the model of the Silicon Valley but it will never be the Silicon Valley. Where does that leave it? Piled onto the the Triangle's visibility woes is the fact that its 2.1+ Million population is cut into two parts at the MSA level. That certainly doesn't help either.

Both Metrolina and the "full" Triangle are larger and faster growing that either Nashville and Memphis and both will put distance on the TN metros for decades to come. During that time, serious attention needs to be paid to their brand identities. Even from an urban area perspective, Raleigh's alone (NIC Durham) is now larger than either Memphis or Nashville and Charlotte's is way larger. Despite all of the actual data of the NC metros, we keep hearing Nashville as the next "large" city. I firmly believe it's due to the city's brand.

Within all of this context above, I can't help but wonder if the two NC sub-forums are tops in the country because people are trying to learn about these metros as their careers point in the direction of them from out of state. They want to know about them. They want to understand their identities.

As for comparisons to other metros, this is a tough one for a variety of reasons. Does one compare by size now? Does one compare by growth and size? Does one compare by a variety of other factors?
For Charlotte, what are the other single core fast growing metros with 2.5 million people and similar industries? For the Triangle, what are the other fast growing multi-core metros over 2 million and similar industries? These aren't easy questions to answer because nowhere is a complete 1:1 comparison for either. I can make a strong case for an Austin/Triangle comparison except for the single core/multi core difference. I can make a strong case for a SLC-Provo/Triangle comparison except that the former is a bit larger for now. For Charlotte, one can compare it to Pittsburgh but there isn't any growth in Pittsburgh. Charlotte can also be compared to Sacramento but their economies are vastly different.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:18 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,295,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To be, rather than to seem.

NC's Motto.

IMO, we should all just be the best we can be and leave it at that.
I don't think either neither needs a touristy brand, that boat has sailed. Just keep urbanizing and adding other classical urban amenities, etc...it'll be ok.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,295,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Charlotte simply doesn't give you a big city vibe. It's stuck in between an identity crisis as well lol. It's trying to appear bigger than it is, and it's hurting it's brand. Like get over it, you will never be Atlanta...move on already.

The fact that it's barely bigger than he Triangle is telling also.
I'm not sure what this is about? This isn't a personality contest, but about growth jobs, etc. I do think Charlotte's center city and surrounding hoods are headed to large city status, quickly. I think it's time to take a break from planet denial.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:20 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,163,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I don't think either neither needs a touristy brand, that boat has sailed. Just keep urbanizing and adding other classical urban amenities, etc...it'll be ok.
Yup...the Portland model I guess you could say, but Portland also benefits from great geography which helps.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,238,116 times
Quote:
Agreed. Take care of the fundamentals and prioritize developing all parts of the cities into places where people want to live instead of visit. Play that card instead and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,463,683 times
Is this still going on? The OP has made countless threads about Raleigh vs. Charlotte, making an issue out of it that isn't really there.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,163,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is this still going on? The OP has made countless threads about Raleigh vs. Charlotte, making an issue out of it that isn't really there.
At least this thread evolved into something substantial.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:08 AM

464 posts, read 524,839 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what this is about? This isn't a personality contest, but about growth jobs, etc. I do think Charlotte's center city and surrounding hoods are headed to large city status, quickly. I think it's time to take a break from planet denial.
Denial about what exactly? Charlotte is growing, but I don't see it having the same status as Atlanta ( the city it wants to be in NC). The Triangle is too big and growing too fast for that to ever happen.

Keep the dream alive though

Old 10-29-2016, 05:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,420,052 times
There's places beyond Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta. Just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina