Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 AM

299 posts, read 249,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Governor McCrory stated earlier he would do whatever he can to help rebuild Princeville.
I know its oldest African American town settled by free slaves, but at this time only historic structure I can find is a highway marker.

I cant believe its already been 17 years since Floyd, but I hope the rebuilt is done even smarter. Use method we mention homes built above ground level. I was mentioning agriculture to allow a buffer from structures where feasible from the river.

I dont know how they can reclassify Hurricanes as the classification is done off wind speed and storm surge but there isnt a classification on river surge especially a storm that likes to hand around.

Remember it's our runoff in the Triangle that arrives a few days later that adds to the crest of the river. What fell down east has already gone down river our 'gift' is just arriving. My street was like a river of runoff headed to the storm drains. Then to the Neuse and on to the east. Those folks in Princeton are supposed to raise their houses to accommodate the Triangles continued development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Remember it's our runoff in the Triangle that arrives a few days later that adds to the crest of the river. What fell down east has already gone down river our 'gift' is just arriving. My street was like a river of runoff headed to the storm drains. Then to the Neuse and on to the east. Those folks in Princeton are supposed to raise their houses to accommodate the Triangles continued development?
Yes in time at least with new structures being built up, or build a flood wall stronger than a levee to at least the height of this record crest.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:24 AM

299 posts, read 249,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yes in time at least with new structures being built up, or build a flood wall stronger than a levee to at least the height of this record crest.

Problem with a levee? It sends it to the next town. Kinston. The rainfall that at one time would have been absorbed in Raleigh, Cary , Wake Forest now flows into the storm drains and down east.

Princeville not Princeton.

Last edited by Trump2016; 10-14-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 04:15 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They are very historic small towns. People don't want to leave. Why not turn New Orleans into a agriculture, too?

I'd be rebuilding on stilts personally, but folks gotta do what they gotta do. I have nothing but sympathy (and some donations) for these folks.

I did read that one church that rebuilt after Floyd rebuilt in such a way that they could remove everything and just hose it down afterwards if it flooded again (no drywall, etc). They were going in before the flood and stripping everything out.
Small towns are everywhere, New Orleans is a historic city with a lot of tourists, also the French Quarter did not flood like other areas did. I was there in 2009 and spoke to people at the hotel, that downtown area also did not flood, I did ride around some of the areas that had been flooded and many homes were gone and some stood but many were boarded up and only 1 or 2 people lived on each block.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I just saw EOC beiefing... so touching and Fair Bluff is still nine days after the storm, water up to house windows.

https://www.facebook.com/WFMYNews2/v...type=2&theater

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...ff4f.image.jpg

Old 10-14-2016, 11:06 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
There are plenty of areas around Fayetteville, Hope Mills, Clinton, Roseboro....not lying in flood plains that flooded. Our grounds were saturated--from almost 15" of rain that fell the weekend before--15 MORE inches of rain fell in a VERY quick time here last Saturday. Mid-day Saturday, Fayetteville was already at almost 9"--Elizabeth Gardner (WRAL) said that was all that had been predicted for ALL DAY Saturday, and we still had several more hours of rain to go!! Fayetteville topped out at just shy of 15". Water rose VERY quickly. Our roads are washed out--GONE---most of us were without power for 5-6 days, and many STILL are without power. Power crews were working in boats! We've had water rescue teams from several states here---as far away as NY. We've had power crews from all over the Eastern United States. We've had the National Guard....ALL of these people have worked around the clocked since LAST Saturday. Robeson County Schools don't know when they'll be able to reopen their schools. Their water system is RUINED---they could be without water for a MINIMUM of 2 weeks. They have 1300 people in shelters as of earlier this evening (Friday, Oct. 14th). We've had 22 Hurricane Matthew deaths.

We need prayers and donations--not criticisms!

Old 10-15-2016, 01:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
How are you faring LRoyal? I've talked to my friends and family in Fayetteville and Robeson and Sampson County. So many roads washed out and I really feel for the folks who have lost their homes. It's just overwhelming. Do you have a suggestion of a place to make donations? I know a lot of churches are helping out but wondering if there's a central place. People here in the triangle are organizing food drives and diaper drives. The Cary Fire Dept is organizing a cleaning supplies drive too. Just so much to fix.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:03 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
How are you faring LRoyal? I've talked to my friends and family in Fayetteville and Robeson and Sampson County. So many roads washed out and I really feel for the folks who have lost their homes. It's just overwhelming. Do you have a suggestion of a place to make donations? I know a lot of churches are helping out but wondering if there's a central place. People here in the triangle are organizing food drives and diaper drives. The Cary Fire Dept is organizing a cleaning supplies drive too. Just so much to fix.
We're ok. Just have to worry about where we're going and how we'll get there. Power's back on, frig is restocked (freezer is still empty--but it needed emptying anyway :\ ). We live at the Cumberland/Sampson/Bladen line, but we're technically in Cumberland, so my daughter goes back to school Monday.

As for donations....nothing "central" other than the Red Cross. They do have a presence here. The Tide Laundry trucks have been in Lumberton. Sampson County has a "Diaper Bank" and it needs restocking. The Second Harvest Food Bank in Fayetteville, the Beatitude Houses in Spring Lake and Roseboro have food pantries that need restocking. Churches & local fire departments right now are good sources to make donations--they know the needs of their particular communities and are getting it out there. Many churches could use food donations, as many are the central locations to get hot meals for many communities.

I believe it's on the FEMA website---there's a list of cleaning supplies, and the best way to pack them (in buckets--but there's specific directions and requested supplies, based on experience) that they suggest for donations.

It's going to take a LONG time to recover Eastern NC. This was waaaayyyy worse than Floyd.

Thank you for asking!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Have family in Lumberton. Some are in there 80's and never in memory has anything like this happened. I am not sure how you plan for this or regulate it with building codes unless you apply it to every river within 500 miles of the east coast.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Princeville is located on the Tar River. Not a drop of a rain that falls in Wake, Durham, Orange, Chatham of Johnston Counties ends up in the Tar River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina