Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

Hi I just recently retired from work so did my wife. We worked for the city of ny, she was a cop and I was a firemen. We get a pretty good amount from our retirement. We live in the suburbs of ny, where we own a house completely paid off, just tired of the cold and snow. we are both in our early 40's with 3 kids. 1 in college 1 on his last year in high school, and the last one who will be moving with us will be entering high school next year. We are both Hispanic born upstate ny. We don't like the city and we like a house with some property 1+ acre. We don't like florida because is to hot and over crowded, we haven't seen Georgia and SC doesn't call our attention. We seen a couple of places around Raleigh, NC. Apex, cary, holly spring, smithfield., we are looking for more suggestions since we are going back In April to look around again. We need something with a good school district, middle class neighborhoods, shopping area, and I play golf. Need some help before making a decision thanks, also suggestions for Georgia or SC too if any. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Suggestions for SC and GA should come from those boards, this one is limited to NC. Your requirements are pretty vague, and can be found in lots of places...Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte. All these cities have areas in or around them that meet your requirements.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 PM

311 posts, read 172,731 times
Go for the ADvantages of a best "balance" in elevation. AVOID the "frying pan" flat portions and the extremes of higher elevations.

The foothils region of Western NC (Burke, McDowell and all the other WNC counties)

UPstate SC (another board, as mentioned)

and Western, UPstate GA

All ROCK!

(You're only gonna $ave big-time in taxes by going to SC or GA though :-(

Best o' Success (and thanks for your service)!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdunderfire52 View Post
Hi I just recently retired from work so did my wife. We worked for the city of ny, she was a cop and I was a firemen. We get a pretty good amount from our retirement. We live in the suburbs of ny, where we own a house completely paid off, just tired of the cold and snow. we are both in our early 40's with 3 kids. 1 in college 1 on his last year in high school, and the last one who will be moving with us will be entering high school next year. We are both Hispanic born upstate ny. We don't like the city and we like a house with some property 1+ acre. We don't like florida because is to hot and over crowded, we haven't seen Georgia and SC doesn't call our attention. We seen a couple of places around Raleigh, NC. Apex, cary, holly spring, smithfield., we are looking for more suggestions since we are going back In April to look around again. We need something with a good school district, middle class neighborhoods, shopping area, and I play golf. Need some help before making a decision thanks, also suggestions for Georgia or SC too if any. Thanks.
Are you Puerto Rican or Hispanic of another Caribbean nationality? Do you or your wife plan to look for work?

Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
One thing you might want to consider, is how the states you are considering, will tax your pensions. Many people from the Northeast tend to think about big savings on their property tax and then fail to consider what the state income tax would be on their relatively substantial pensions. In your case, New York State doesn't tax your pension, but in North Carolina, you might be giving the state $5K to $10K of your pension money. In general, many areas of the South have much higher state income tax rates than the Northeast. I've met several New Yorkers who found out the hard way, that North Carolina ended up being just as expensive as New York. The property tax savings was wiped out by the large amount they paid in North Carolina state income tax. Even though the NC state income tax rates have declined, they are still much higher than New York's rates. Shop for your retirement state very carefully!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,281 times
Wife puerto Rican and Italian, me puerto rican, and no, I'm not planning on looking for work, and I'll be keeping my ny address as my primary residence. I'll be commuting back and forth. Nc is good because is only 8 hrs from where I live. Just looking for a good area with nice neighborhoods and great people to meet. I'll be spending my summer in ny. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Wife puerto Rican and Italian, me puerto rican, and no, I'm not planning on looking for work, and I'll be keeping my ny address as my primary residence. I'll be commuting back and forth. Nc is good because is only 8 hrs from where I live. Just looking for a good area with nice neighborhoods and great people to meet. I'll be spending my summer in ny. Thanks for the suggestion
There are Hispanic-owned grocery stores in some towns. this may be important to your wife. Some Italian items can be scarce. I just found & bought my first bunch of broccoli rabe in the 8 years that I've been here. I find frying peppers AKA Italian frying peppers only in Hispanic grocery stores. They are sold as cubanelle peppers.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
If your kids want to go to any NC public universities, and if you keep NY residence, then they won't won't qualify for in-state tuition. Just one more thing to possibly factor in.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:05 PM

368 posts, read 454,174 times
Quote:
So what about somewhere in Virginia, larger PR population and closer to NY. Specifically, around Richmond or Virginia Beach. If not, then maybe even the DC suburbs or Raleigh NC.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Whether you choose NC, VA or any other state, your primary residence is determined to be the place where you spend the most time, not the place you'd like to "designate" as your primary address. Some of my NY friends found that out the hard way, when NC determined NY was not their primary residence and they ended up paying tens of thousands in back taxes. Even voting in NY and staying there for a few weeks will not change the fact that you're basically a NC or VA resident if you spend more than 180 days a year, in those states. Given weather and traffic problems, it may take more than 8 hours to get back there.

If you still have to be close to NY, you might want to consider Delaware. Much cheaper taxes and you can be back in the city in a couple of hours. Also, be sure that your health insurance has hospitals and doctors who accept it in your new area. That can also lead to expensive problems, if you find you're "out-of network" for 90% of the doctors and hospitals in your new home.

Last edited by TheEmissary; 12-30-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina