Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 14,695 times

Advertisements

Gay couple with kids relocating from NY to NC, and looking for lgbt-friendly but also family-friendly cities in NC. We don't care about parades or bars or any of the stereotypical lgbt stuff, our concern is getting along with neighbors, not feeling threatened, not having to worry about my kids getting picked on because of their parents. I was born and raised in NY, never been to the south so I'm so sorry if my post is offensive to southerners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
There are very few places you will experience feeling threatened or being picked on. Your best bet is the larger metro areas: Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Durham and most especially, Chapel Hill.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.89 View Post
Gay couple with kids relocating from NY to NC...
Why? Why NC vs anywhere else?
Assuming you need to work for a living do you have jobs lined up?

As to your topic Q... tolerance is pretty broad despite the HB2 absurdity.
But "friendly" will mean a larger city and universities (whether NY or NC or NM)

Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? Why NC vs anywhere else?
Assuming you need to work for a living do you have jobs lined up?

As to your topic Q... tolerance is pretty broad despite the HB2 absurdity.
But "friendly" will mean a larger city and universities (whether NY or NC or NM)
All of this is true. Are you being transferred for a job, or will you need a good city for [xxx kind f job] in addition to the other criteria?

All cities in NC tend to have huge suburbs, which are "family-friendly", and the areas around the cities in any state are generally the most gay-friendly (I am gay, and an NC native). You could provide a lot more details in your question such as what you know about the cities in NC and why you've chosen to move here, especially considering NC's national reputation recently with its lamebrained anti-LGBT "HB2" law. Which will likely get found unconstitutional, but it shows you how conservative NC's Legislature is at the moment. You didn't ask about politics, so I won't go down that road, but the people living near any of NC's cities are more open-minded than those in the rural areas, and the suburbs are more oriented to families. Southern cities historically were never as "urban" as those in the Industrial Northeast and thus don't tend to have the "urban blight" areas that results from "flight" out of the cities in the mid-20th Century. The larger cities in NC all have really done a lot with their (smallish) downtowns in the past 20 years or so, and while you'll find a "bad" section of every city, it's pretty obvious when you're driving around, what part that is.

Stick to the suburbs around a city and you'll be fine. The question is more which city you would be interested in, based on other things such as work, whether you want to be near mountains or beach, etc. What parts of NC have you visited in the past that appealed to you? EDIT--I just see where you say you've never been to the south...you really should visit somewhere before deciding where to live, especially in a different region of the country, if at all possible.

It's not the citizens of NC that you need to worry about if you're in the city or suburbs, so much as the politicians and the laws, at the current time. But religion is MUCH more a part of everyday life here than in other regions of the country; many people wear their "Christianity" (I put it in quotes because it is like a badge of honor for some--not talking about the quiet Christians) on their sleeve, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be accepting. Sometimes having kids gets you inroads that "neutralize" people's uneasiness with homosexuality, I'm told (said of everywhere, not just here). I don't have too many gay friends with kids, so I don't know. But if you're more interested in PTA and soccer leagues, stick to the suburbs and towns near the cities, like Cary, Apex, etc. Once you give us a better idea of what area of NC you're interested in, we can focus better.

PM me (click on my name and it will give you options) for gay-specific questions.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:18 PM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
The most progressive areas in NC are Chapel Hill-Carrboro, Durham and Asheville.

Not saying you won't feel comfortable in other areas, you will be fine in any of the cities. But if you are looking for the most liberal spots that is what they are.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:56 PM

181 posts, read 240,973 times
If you're looking for a city with a ton of jobs, Triangle -- most notably Chapel Hill.

If you're looking for the state's most cultured LGBT-friendly city, Asheville.

By and large, if it's slightly urban and has a university in NC -- it'll be gay-friendly.

Depends on your $$ situation though.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM

241 posts, read 236,754 times
The Human Rights Campaign does an annual "Municipal Equality Index" which ranks LGBT friendly areas across the country. In North Carolina, Greensboro scored highest with 80 (out of 100). The other cities ranked as follow:

Carrboro: 57
Cary: 18
Chapel Hill: 68
Charlotte: 73
Durham: 69
Fayetteville: 23
Greensboro: 80
Raleigh: 59
Wilmington: 21
Winston-Salem: 44

You can read a more in depth analysis here: HRC North Carolina | Human Rights Campaign

Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 AM

241 posts, read 338,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
The Human Rights Campaign does an annual "Municipal Equality Index" which ranks LGBT friendly areas across the country. In North Carolina, Greensboro scored highest with 80 (out of 100). The other cities ranked as follow:

Carrboro: 57
Cary: 18
Chapel Hill: 68
Charlotte: 73
Durham: 69
Fayetteville: 23
Greensboro: 80
Raleigh: 59
Wilmington: 21
Winston-Salem: 44

You can read a more in depth analysis here: HRC North Carolina | Human Rights Campaign
I'm not gay, but I was interested in seeing responses on this topic. I'm disappointed at the rating of my hometown of WS, it's almost half as low as its neighbor G'boro. When I try to tell folks WS is provincial for a city of its size, it's stuff like this. I hate that folks still stay in their social bubbles so much. Surprised to see that Asheville didn't make the cut.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
I'm surprised both Carrboro and Chapel Hill ranked lower than Greensboro. The former two actually had mayors who identified as LGBT

Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM

147 posts, read 162,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atony View Post
the most progressive areas in nc are chapel hill-carrboro, durham and asheville.

Not saying you won't feel comfortable in other areas, you will be fine in any of the cities. But if you are looking for the most liberal spots that is what they are.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina