Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:47 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm just answering the OP who is referring to the future. Based on what I see where I live, NC can have a higher population. And I don't think WV is as scenic as western NC, that almost sounds like a joke.
Of course NC could have a higher population, but it won't be because of a flood of people settling in the mountains and along the Outer Banks.

You're incredibly and unbelievably biased and that last statement proves it. It's nearly impossible to discuss this issue objectively with you.

And you could substitute West Virginia for Utah or Montana and the point remains. But you'd probably argue that the mountains out west can't compare to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course NC could have a higher population, but it won't be because of a flood of people settling in the mountains and along the Outer Banks.

You're incredibly and unbelievably biased and that last statement proves it. It's nearly impossible to discuss this issue objectively with you.

And you could substitute West Virginia for Utah or Montana and the point remains. But you'd probably argue that the mountains out west can't compare to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC.
I'm just a bit less short sighted. I've watched NC grow every year of my life (in the mountains) so I think I know what I'm talking about, lol. And yeah I've been to all those states as well, but they're not compare-able. We were comparing GA and NC, not WV.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I'm just a bit less short sighted. I've watched NC grow every year of my life (in the mountains) so I think I know what I'm talking about, lol. And yeah I've been to all those states as well, but they're not compare-able. We were comparing GA and NC, not WV.
The statistics simply don't support your assertion; anecdotes do not count.

I brought up WV because you argued that "better" scenery translates to faster population growth and that's simply not true. The Piedmont areas of both NC and GA, not the mountains or coast, have been driving the vast majority of growth in those states for at least the past 100 years and that's an objective fact. I have no clue why you're arguing otherwise.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The statistics simply don't support your assertion; anecdotes do not count.

I brought up WV because you argued that "better" scenery translates to faster population growth and that's simply not true. The Piedmont areas of both NC and GA, not the mountains or coast, have been driving the vast majority of growth in those states for at least the past 100 years and that's an objective fact. I have no clue why you're arguing otherwise.
I actually plan to move to Piedmont area around Spring time, as soon as the house sells. If you want to debate which piedmont is better NC or GA, I can say with full confidence NC will outgrow GA by 2050.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I actually plan to move to Piedmont area around Spring time, as soon as the house sells. If you want to debate which piedmont is better NC or GA, I can say with full confidence NC will outgrow GA by 2050.
Are you omniscient?

Old 02-04-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Are you omniscient?
The population between the 2 is neck and neck right now. Considering NC has 2 of the fastest growing cities in the country and other areas convenient to i-40/i-64/i-77 I'd say the state is ripe for much more growth between Raleigh and Charlotte if nowhere else. Georgia just isn't as aesthetic, I'm sorry.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The population between the 2 is neck and neck right now. Considering NC has 2 of the fastest growing cities in the country and other areas convenient to i-40/i-64/i-77 I'd say the state is ripe for much more growth between Raleigh and Charlotte if nowhere else. Georgia just isn't as aesthetic, I'm sorry.
Aesthetics have nothing to do with growth and I have no clue why you seem to think so. There's nothing very aesthetic about Houston or Dallas and they are consistent growth leaders in the U.S. Some fast-growing places have nice geographic settings and several others don't.

Does NC have a chance to surpass GA? Sure it does but aesthetics have nothing to do with it. Even you yourself just said that the state is ripe for more growth between Charlotte and Raleigh--not in the mountains or along the coast.

So you really have no basis for saying that you have "full confidence" that NC will surpass GA by 2050...none whatsoever. You have no clue what the future holds.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Aesthetics?

NC's path to passing Georgia is primarily linked to Charlotte and the Triangle and their ability to accelerate growth as they transcend into their next "tier" of metros...however that's perceived. Momentum often drives more momentum and the two metros can probably grow more wildly than anyone is currently imagining they could. The key for metro Charlotte's impact to the state population is keeping more of that growth in NC rather than SC. Who knows how that will play out?

A wildcard for NC is the Triad. If the Triad could find stronger economic footing and become a third fast growing metro for NC, it could push NC past GA.

The two states are probably going to be competitive with each other for decades to come and both will eventually pass the slower growing states that rank just in front of them over the next few decades.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:49 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
I doubt there will be a major divergence in Georgia's and North Carolina's population totals for the foreseeable future. The states have more in common than most other pairs of states around the nation - metropolitan areas of a variety of sizes, significant rural populations, mountains and coastline, substantial and rising demographic diversity, and well rounded economies.

One difference between the growth patterns in the two states is that Georgia has a higher natural increase, and North Carolina has higher net in-migration. Georgia's median age is a few years younger which means that more residents are of typical child bearing ages, and fewer are reaching the end of their life span. Georgia is in fact the youngest state demographically east of the Mississippi River, while North Carolina's age distribution is more similar to the national average. Age distributions change slowly and rather predictably, while migration trends can fluctuate more sharply over the short term, given economic surges and downturns, natural disasters, changes in affordability relative to job opportunities, and so forth.

Basically that means in order for North Carolina to overtake Georgia in population and stay ahead, they're likely going to need substantially higher net in migration. That is certainly possible, but hard to predict, particularly when there are many similar drivers of people relocating to both states. North Carolina's closer proximity to the high population states of the Northeast probably helps it gain a little more than Georgia from that direction.

North Carolina and Georgia are both very likely to surpass Ohio, Pennsylvania and Illinois in population over the next few decades - but they still have a lot of growing to do before that happens. Illinois in particular has been in a really bad slump the last few years, but it is still substantially larger than Georgia and North Carolina.

I would also concur that the central metropolitan corridors of both states are contributing far more to their growth than the mountain and coastal sections.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Aesthetics have nothing to do with growth and I have no clue why you seem to think so. There's nothing very aesthetic about Houston or Dallas and they are consistent growth leaders in the U.S. Some fast-growing places have nice geographic settings and several others don't.

Does NC have a chance to surpass GA? Sure it does but aesthetics have nothing to do with it. Even you yourself just said that the state is ripe for more growth between Charlotte and Raleigh--not in the mountains or along the coast.

So you really have no basis for saying that you have "full confidence" that NC will surpass GA by 2050...none whatsoever. You have no clue what the future holds.
When someone has several options in front of them aesthetics matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina