Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:36 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's true! I'm not talking about backyards, but where an outdoor enthusiast might go out in the woods. There's a lot of wet land in Bladen Co. I ain't walking that property w/o some good tall boots. My aunt who grew up in Bladen Co and had land there all her life wouldn't go in the summer because she said it was too snakey.

You won't find a cottonmouth in the Eno or Jordan Lake, either. Their range doesn't extend this far. We've just got the copperheads (who like to bite my dog when she sticks her nose in their faces). We also don't have the rattlers up here (all three, eastern diamondback, timber/canebrake, and pigmy are in Cumberland Co), or the coral snake (also in Cumberland Co).

As a kid we went on swamp-walks in Scotland Co with my summer camp director who was a big snake guy. I vividly remember him reaching out and snatching snakes out of the water and putting them in a bag to take back to the dining hall and put in aquariums. That dining hall was like a snake museum.

I saw my share of snakes in my backyard in Fayetteville, too, but I was really talking about the countryside in SE NC.

yeah fair enough the flip is

1. snakes and bugs go to bed in the fall
2. there is an active outdoor/hunting community in those parts, i'd say some of the strongest in the state.
3. In the summer you will swelter

the worst part about living out there is no cultural evens and the food sucks, grays creek would be a good compromise i think st pauls is about out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 03:38 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times
I was in the exact same situation as this guy, where I graduated and got hired for a job paying 73k and moved from Greensboro (Which is very similar to Fayetteville). Fayetteville is a pretty good city. I live in Hope Mills and commute to my work in Downtown Fayetteville. Whenever I purchase a house I plan on it being in Eastover, which is simply another suburb of Fayetteville. I'd say go for Fayetteville dude, it's got a nice share of activities and very good school system from what I have heard. The only problems I have with Fayetteville is #1 The Drivers. Fayetteville is where Urban aggressive drivers and your deep south rednecks meet on the road where you are bound to find an accident every other trip to the grocery store. #2 are outskirts. Fayetteville outskirts are what people are considering "bad, trashy, and undesirable". If you live in an area like Ramsey Street, Cliffdale Road, Cedar Creek Road, Raeford Road, Skibo Road, Country Club, Bingham Drive, Owen Drive, and the heavy developing parts of Gillespie Street and Southern Bragg Blvd (Downtown), you are looking at a comfortable middle class life. Elsewhere probably not. Their's an article on Fayobserver about their being "Two Fayetteville's". An example would be how the poorest residents of the city live on Northern part of Bragg BLVD while a multi-million dollar neighborhood (Willow Bend Ln/Skye Dr. area) is exactly parallel, which happens to be located near Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Porsche dealership of Fayetteville.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM

I also don't understand what people are saying when they refer to Fayetteville not having any cultural events. Their's like 10-20 events going on everyday according to Fayetteville Observer's calendar. Today alone you're looking at a Hiking challenge to start your 8AM morning at Lake Rim Park after that possibly go to the North Regional Branch Library to watch a musical, then after that watch a Fayetteville State University Basketball game at 2PM, if you have kids maybe you can go to the Pet Theater going on at Crown Complex off Gillespie (No idea what the h*ll a pet theater is) and I guess learn about Black history at Hope Mills Regional Branch Library with a PG-13 rated film. Then for dinner go to one of the overpriced yet the scenery is good so you'll feel like it's money well spent for the occasion - restaurants in Downtown Fayetteville, the ones that automatically assumes you want to pay 20% tip PER PERSON and will charge you $7 valet to park your car 5 inches away from where you get out at.
http://www.fayobserver.com/calendar/#/

Here's also some cool things they are building in Fayetteville.
Minor League baseball stadium downtown (2019)
http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...98a538a4f.html
National History Museum downtown (2020)
http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...277208a14.html
Sports Complex Fayetteville Outer Loop (2017-18?)
http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...c7dd9440b.html
DefyGravity Trampoline Park in Commercial District (2017)
http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...892b5bff5.html
Some random stuff included in the 35 million dollar parks bond includes
Skateboard Park Downtown
Tennis Center
Existing Park Improvements
2 new senior centers (East & West Fayetteville)
7 new splash pads/aquatic centers

The only downside to Fayetteville's development is the tax is something someone could complain about. The one thing surprising is according to Siri, which I'm assuming gets its results from some Government website is that Fayetteville residents make more than other cities in the state it's size. It's not as high as Raleigh and Cary per say, but it's still pretty good. It's surprising Fayetteville makes more than Greensboro, which has a Lamborghini dealership, but not surprising that it makes more than Winston-Salem. Durham makes more which isn't surprising since it's still in Research triangle.
Fayetteville- $44,800
Durham- $48,200
Greensboro- $41,600
Winston-Salem-$40,900

Fayetteville is located in the Fayetteville-Lumberton-Laurinburg Metropolitan (Cumberland,Hoke,Scotland,Robeson Counties). Some good suburbs to look into would be;
Lumberton
Laurinburg
Hope Mills***
Spring Lake (MAYBE)
Raeford
Eastover
Rockfish Township

To sum up Fayetteville's economy as a majority according to United States Bureau of Labor Statistics;
40% military
40% Office guys
10% Manufacturing
Military is not included in the Bureau of Statistics as Military isn't located in Fayetteville, it's located in Fort Bragg, which has 50k troops and 40k people live on Fort Bragg, so I would assume about 15-20k soldiers live in Fayetteville, which would parallel Fayetteville's Office/Administrative Support employment. Manufacturing is set at 500 so I assume that Manufacturing is not including Logicians, Engineers as well as a bunch other jobs that take place in a manufacturing plant. I assume that only because Fayetteville is home to GoodYear Tire Manufacturing plant, which employees 3k, Purolator which employees 500, and Eaton which employees between 500-1000 just to name the major manufacturers who call Fayetteville home. WalMart distribution center which is in Fayetteville suburbs employees between 1000-4000 (big frame...)

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_22180.htm

Last edited by Archer705; 02-04-2017 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 AM

37 posts, read 39,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunalready View Post
Hi All, I will try and give as much detail as possible without rambling but would like some advice on Fayetteville NC. I'm currently in WA State but in the line for 2 jobs, one in Greenville SC but the more likely one is in Fayetteville NC. I would prefer the former but at present as the latter is most likely I would like some opinions and advice on the area from people in the know.

The job is located to the South East of the City, about 2 miles South of the Regional Airport and we prefer to live in a rural area (renting initially then buying a homestead type place eventually). I am an engineer and the salary is pretty good and my wife will be looking at teaching/assistant jobs.

So what are the pros and cons of Fayetteville? My wife has a concern with humidity having lived all her life on the dry side of the country. I spent a summer in Knoxville 10 years ago (which I've been told is a similar climate) and don't recall the humidity being stifling so I'm not too concerned, especially as I prefer the heat to the cold. Also, I've been told the heat/humidity is only high for a few months in the summer with the rest of the year being mostly warm and sunny?

I've also heard mixed things about high crime in the city. Is this just like anywhere else where if you avoid the bad parts of ton you'll be fine?

My interests are mainly outdoors so I've heard it is a good area for that too. There are some kart tracks within 3hrs I can race at and my other hobby is watersports, is there much of this in the area?

I think that's about it for now, any pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks.
We moved here from WA 4 years ago. I wish we could have stayed in WA! lol

The humidity is terrible here in the summer! It's pretty warm until about October/November. We're having a pretty mild winter this year. Seems like it's been warmer than usual to me.

I think the crime here is high, especially in some areas. We used to live in one of the "better" neighborhoods (Haymount, where there are tons of nice houses - like mini mansions) and we were victims of a crime. We moved. I'm pretty careful wherever I go. I worked till late last night and came out to the parking lot and there was a car near mine with a few people just sitting in it. My instincts told me they were up to no good, especially since there were a couple of police cars parked nearby, with police in them, just sitting there in their cars with their headlights turned off. I hurried to my car and got out of there! It's neither a good or bad area as far as I know of, but I hate being there at night.

There aren't any kart tracks, or many watersports that I'm aware of. You have to drive to get to those. Jordan Lake is about 45 minutes away, depending on where you live in the city, and there's plenty to do there. The Raleigh areas has places with go karts.

It's more rural as you get past the airport, but the Crown coliseum is near there, so when there are events, there's a lot of traffic. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a rental though, with this being a military town.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry-melly View Post
We moved here from WA 4 years ago. I wish we could have stayed in WA! lol

The humidity is terrible here in the summer! It's pretty warm until about October/November. We're having a pretty mild winter this year. Seems like it's been warmer than usual to me.

I think the crime here is high, especially in some areas. We used to live in one of the "better" neighborhoods (Haymount, where there are tons of nice houses - like mini mansions) and we were victims of a crime. We moved. I'm pretty careful wherever I go. I worked till late last night and came out to the parking lot and there was a car near mine with a few people just sitting in it. My instincts told me they were up to no good, especially since there were a couple of police cars parked nearby, with police in them, just sitting there in their cars with their headlights turned off. I hurried to my car and got out of there! It's neither a good or bad area as far as I know of, but I hate being there at night.

There aren't any kart tracks, or many watersports that I'm aware of. You have to drive to get to those. Jordan Lake is about 45 minutes away, depending on where you live in the city, and there's plenty to do there. The Raleigh areas has places with go karts.

It's more rural as you get past the airport, but the Crown coliseum is near there, so when there are events, there's a lot of traffic. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a rental though, with this being a military town.
There's a kart track in Hope Mills/South Fayetteville, which is pretty good since Raleigh only has 2. The go kart track Is actually pretty legit in size, it's surrounded by a minaure golf course, if you've ever been to Omni Asumenment off of Sycamore Dairy Road, it's a mini course like that. Also 2 water parks in the metro - one in Hope Mills and one in Bladen County.
There's also a waterfall in either Lake Rim or Mazerick park.

There's also the Fayetteville Motor Speedway off Martin luther King Jr Freeway near Hope Mills and Fayetteville Airport hat has quite a few races to spectate, it's $25 per person to attend.

Last edited by Archer705; 02-20-2017 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina