Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

I've been driving for 19 years and I've always driven automatics. I am wanting to buy a Civic SI when they come out, but they are manual only. I don't know anyone who drives one who can teach me, and I don't want to rent a manual car and screw up the transmission.

I contacted a driving school in my area and asked about manual lessons, but they haven't gotten back to me me yet. Does anyone know of something in the Hickory area that offers such lessons? I really want this car and need to learn a bit before driving one.

If not, what are my alternatives? Someone said in a Honda forum that a dealership should let you test one and talk you though it. I'm not too sure they would do something like that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 09:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
You'll need to find someone, ideally a friend, willing to let you drive their car.

After the initial parking lot "just the basics" lesson...
then advance to the Sunday morning back road lesson.
Rinse & Repeat as needed.

Be prepare to buy them lunch afterward.
---

As regards buying a brand new anything before you have far more practical experience...
I'll suggest that you buy a $2000 beater to use for your first year of manual transmission driving.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Almost three years ago my 22 year old son wanted a manual transmission automobile. He had never driven a manual before. (He was familiar with driving a small dirt bike a friend had with a manual transmission.)
He took me with him to drive the car during the test drive. He and I both liked the car and I drove the car home after he bought it. Once we got home he learned manual transmission as he drove it around the neighborhood several times getting used to it. Later that day he drove it 25 miles home both on local surface streets and an interstate. No issues and he's been driving ever since. He said the hardest part was getting up his driveway on a steep slope and into his garage.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brclark80 View Post
I've been driving for 19 years and I've always driven automatics. I am wanting to buy a Civic SI when they come out, but they are manual only. I don't know anyone who drives one who can teach me, and I don't want to rent a manual car and screw up the transmission.

I contacted a driving school in my area and asked about manual lessons, but they haven't gotten back to me me yet. Does anyone know of something in the Hickory area that offers such lessons? I really want this car and need to learn a bit before driving one.

If not, what are my alternatives? Someone said in a Honda forum that a dealership should let you test one and talk you though it. I'm not too sure they would do something like that though.
Don't assume anything. Go to your Honda dealership. Don't call; go in person. Explain your interest in the new car and see if they have someone who would take you out in one of their used cars for a short lesson. If there's a good chance they'll get a new car purchase from it, they have an incentive to help you. At the very least they might be able to refer you to someone in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: