Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:47 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times

Advertisements

Something that perked me, as I was cleaning house yesterday. It might not be experienced all over NC; we didn't see them in Concord, but have had them every winter since we moved farther north into the stix, and so have the neighbors. LADYBUGS! Bagillions of LADYBUGS! invade our house every winter

We seal around the windows and don't have any cracks that we know of, but still these little pests invade. The cats play with them, the dogs pick them up and spit them out, walking through the house on bare feet can be kind of like walking thru Rice Krispies I vacuum them every week, and each spring cleaning means raising the windows and blowing them out of the window tracks. I know they are a beneficial insect, but there's no way I can keep them alive until spring. I suppose some survive and find their way out with warm weather, but I still find myself cleaning out hundreds of little corpses each spring

So, if you are bug phobic, aside from the amazingly large garden spiders that set up webs around our yard in the fall, you might find yourself having to deal with those little Rice Krispies with wings

Shoot .. ALSO, come July, watch out for the Japanese Beetles. Man oh man, they hatch from grubs and can be pestilant to plants, especially roses and Kwanzan cherry trees (I have several of those in my yard). I've largely eliminated them by setting out bug traps all over the yard (I don't like using poisons on the ground), but the first time they came through and cleaned out all our foliage (it can happen quick) I was horrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Great! I buy them each spring and have my husband sprinkle them in the yard. One year he was traveling and I bought some and as soon as one crawled on me I left the bag open on the rose bush and if you couldn't crawl out on your own that was your problem. When my hubby traveled to Chicago his hotel room had tons of lady bugs in it, he would lay their and watch them migrate across the ceiling. We have those Japanese Beeltes also. My husband grabbed one and tied a string around it's leg and flew it around, it was so funny. Of course I was in the house watching or should I say screaming and laughing. Those are BIG crunchy bugs too. Hubby also likes to hatch the Mantid pods, those are pretty cool. I can actually look at those and not cringe so much. I feel like they won't jump on me like a hopper. Hubby also warned me about the walking sticks, another eeeww. Yes, I have already decided on a bug zapper, ok a couple of bug zappers! Thanks for the warning.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:11 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
You think ladybugs are bad, wait until you land in the home of some of our fire ants. Those things hurt and I mean hurt when they bite you. And then we have this kinda greenish fly that they call a horse fly. And this critter can bite as well. That is in addition to the brown recluse spiders, other type spiders, bees, wasps, just regular run of the mill picnic ants, and I have seen bugs that I have no idea what the heck they are. Generally speaking, it they don't bite and don't try to eat my food, I pretty much leave them alone. But then again, I haven't been invaded by the "red rice krispies" either. I have been bitten by a brown recluse once. And I didn't even know he had bitten me until the bite began to errode and I had this hole in my thigh and I had this horrible pain all over. The doctor said it was a brown recluse bite. I will have to take his word for that because this thing didn't hang around long enough for me to figure out what he was.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
You think ladybugs are bad, wait until you land in the home of some of our fire ants.
HEARD about those Aren't those the kind where you scarcely know they are on you until some invisible signal goes out and they bite all at once?

We also have ... I'm not sure of the name, I call the "borer bees". They look like the big yellow and black bumble bees [sound like 'em too. the first time one buzzed around my head, I started pinwheeling my arms like I was trying to become airborne, hollering "get it away!". I was stung by a real bumbler once. HURT ] but are harmless to people. They just bore holes in wood. My gazebo looks like it has been machine gunned

Old 04-29-2006, 12:29 PM

When we were vistiting we were in the mountains somewhere and I actually got to see a "real" hornets nest. Man was it huge. We have a lot of black widows here. I have heard of the brown recluse, that is a nasty bite alright. With my husband growing up in Atlanta, they used to play in the woods and he has told me all about the fire ants and he also was stung twice by swarms of I think yellow jackets (can't remeber). He had a few hundred stings! Ouch! Last time we visited, my brother in law had this horrible looking spider just sitting above the doorway from the house to the garage. It was huge, big and round and had an orangish body. I was just waiting for it to fall on me when I walked under it. It was their for days in one place. We also have horse flys but your don't see them that often.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 PM

I don't care how dormant a hornet's nest make look, never and I mean never poke it with a stick or disturb it in any way. Hornets are five times bigger than the average honey bee and they swarm to kill. And they can literally kill you. Now skunks will eat them. Don't ask. I read it somewhere. The question is how they manage to eat them.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:01 PM

Trust me, I only photographed the hornets nests with a 200 mm lens so it only looks like I was close. Yes I just confirmed with the husband it was yellow jackets that swarmed him. Apparently both times the nests were in the ground and he accidently stepped on them. Also just confirmed with hubby it is the fire ants that signal to attack.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:56 PM

Hornets do die out though at the end of the warmer seasons. But I am glad that you didn't get that close to the thing just in case. It only takes one to inflict a horrible sting. I saw a film where hornets swarmed over to a bee's hive and literally took out all the bees and looted the hive if you will. I think it said that 30 hornets could over take an hive of 30,000 bees in less than 3 hours.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:22 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Then you have those bees that burrow into the wood, like the deck posts and make a little pile of sawdust. Guess we'll never get rid of bugs. Oh Well!

Old 04-30-2006, 10:44 AM

167 posts, read 944,947 times
Ugh... spiders... not my favorite. I guess there has to be some less desirable things about NC, right? Now I'm wondering if I need to be worried about my dogs being bitten by spiders or other critters? Of course I'll be careful myself, but at least if I get bit I'll know it and do something about it. With the dogs, they can't tell me if something happens to them... so does anyone know if spiders bite dogs? And what about snakes, while we're on the topic of icky, dangerous things? Are there poisonous snakes I need to worry about in NC? And how about bears? My fiancé is terrified of bears...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina