Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times

Advertisements

I'm terrified of Mountains but have to travel to Sevierville TN from Charlotte. Is anyone familiar with route 25 or know the least windy mountainous way to get there???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:31 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
I-85 to Kings Mt., US 74 to I-26 to I-40, exit 407 in Tennessee and you're there.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP4224 View Post
I'm terrified of Mountains but have to travel to Sevierville TN from Charlotte. Is anyone familiar with route 25 or know the least windy mountainous way to get there???
Fly into Knoxville then take a ride share over to Sevierville. You could also take a bus into Knoxville. I say this because the detour required to avoid dense mountains on that trip would be a lot of miles out-of-route. I-40 is your best bet. It's fairly dense west of Asheville and you will go through a few mountain tunnels, but it is your best route. Or you could fly.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1960 View Post
i-85 to kings mt., us 74 to i-26 to i-40, exit 407 in tennessee and you're there.
This is the answer you're looking for, OP.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
That's the obvious answer but I-40 through the mountains is very curvy and would be intimidating at interstate speeds.

25 is also curvy but you'd have the option of driving slowly, just prepare to pull over frequently and let the locals pass. Once you cross the TN line the curvy factor goes way down.

Neither route is particularly high elevation, you are roughly following the Pigeon or French Broad rivers. But high enough snow could be an issue.

BTW, coming from the east, 411 S is the 2nd Newport exit and it is a "short cut" to Sevierville.

Flying to Knoxville is a good option. You could rent a car and take 411 from Maryville to Sevierville. There are no busses serving the Knoxville airport.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
That's the obvious answer but I-40 through the mountains is very curvy and would be intimidating at interstate speeds.
The speed limit on I-40 through the "mountanious" section is 55 mph. And it has a wide shoulders to pull over on if needed. Its not only the obvious choice for the OP, but the better choice.

Isn't Hwy. 25 a 2 lane road?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Route 25 is 4 lane to the Marshall area. Then it is a slightly curvy country road like the OP might encounter around Charlotte. Then a few miles before Laurel creek it's pretty curvy. Don't miss the left turn to Hot springs. The road up and over the ridge has been vastly improved and it is 3 lanes. There are some road improvements past hot springs and then the original highway. The feel there is traveling through a mountain valley.

I got to thinking: why did my last trip feel curvier - I was driving in an underpowered truck. Earlier trips were in a low slung station wagon. So the vehicle would make a difference.

Route 25 will add about 30-50 minutes compared to I-40. It is a pleasant alternative for me. You can view the curves on google maps.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

25 is also curvy but you'd have the option of driving slowly, just prepare to pull over frequently and let the locals pass. Once you cross the TN line the curvy factor goes way down.

Neither route is particularly high elevation, you are roughly following the Pigeon or French Broad rivers. But high enough snow could be an issue.

BTW, coming from the east, 411 S is the 2nd Newport exit and it is a "short cut" to Sevierville.

Flying to Knoxville is a good option. You could rent a car and take 411 from Maryville to Sevierville. There are no busses serving the Knoxville airport.
I’ve always wondered why there are no reports of cars flipping over the side of the highway/roads in the mountains. Last time I was up there people were flying up and down mountains ... at least 15 miles over ... never hear of any gruesome wrecks with automobiles flipping over the side.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:18 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I’ve always wondered why there are no reports of cars flipping over the side of the highway/roads in the mountains. Last time I was up there people were flying up and down mountains ... at least 15 miles over ... never hear of any gruesome wrecks with automobiles flipping over the side.

I have an aunt that is from Ohio and is also not fond of winding, steep roads. One of the first times she experienced a mountainous N.C. route, my grandmother told her, "Don't worry, if we go off the side, one of the trees will stop us before we go too far." My aunt just closed her eyes at that point.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I have an aunt that is from Ohio and is also not fond of winding, steep roads. One of the first times she experienced a mountainous N.C. route, my grandmother told her, "Don't worry, if we go off the side, one of the trees will stop us before we go too far." My aunt just closed her eyes at that point.

My gosh. I woulda closed my eyes as well lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina