Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times

Advertisements

Did anyone here actually go to a rural NC school? I did. I don't think most of you are qualified to talk about them and how or where they may be deficient. We had lots of kids going to a variety of colleges.

Honestly small towns don't necessarily want to blow up.

HOWEVER due to no jobs their children always have to leave and a big part of why they are dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
How about the State ask the municipalities what they need without any mandates? What would make them actually "stronger"? And then set aside money to do that.
That's what Cooper is trying to do, but given the fact that the General Assembly has been fighting Cooper on nearly every issue from the moment McCrory conceded the election, I don't expect much to come of this unless the General Assembly is turned upside down in November.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Did anyone here actually go to a rural NC school? I did.
Me too. Wayne County. Fremont STARS Elementary, Norwayne Middle, Charles B. Aycock High.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Me too. Wayne County. Fremont STARS Elementary, Norwayne Middle, Charles B. Aycock High.
nice is your life ruined?

Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
nice is your life ruined?
Nope. I can't say that it is. Just the usual ups and downs like everybody else.

Last edited by LM117; 02-06-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Did anyone here actually go to a rural NC school? I did. I don't think most of you are qualified to talk about them and how or where they may be deficient. We had lots of kids going to a variety of colleges.

Honestly small towns don't necessarily want to blow up.

HOWEVER due to no jobs their children always have to leave and a big part of why they are dying.
I referred to them as inadequate. You disagree with that assessment? You think they are adequate?

Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
I would ask do the rural schools have items like MacBooks for incoming high school students, newer textbooks, school buildings in good shape ...electronic blackboards and alot of teachers with Master's degrees?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I would ask do the rural schools have items like MacBooks for incoming high school students, newer textbooks, school buildings in good shape ...electronic blackboards and alot of teachers with Master's degrees?
I can't speak for all rural counties, but Wayne County has been making (or trying to) progress on most of what you listed. It took them long enough, but they finally got serious about improving the schools. Two new schools were built in recent years and an existing one will be torn down and a new one built in it's place, which is currently underway. Improvements were also made to some of the existing ones in recent years with more planned. The school system still has it's issues, but at least they're finally being addressed.

During the early-mid 2000's when I was in high school, the relationship between the county commissioners and the school board was pretty low. They used to fight like cats and dogs and as a result, there wasn't much progress made, if any at all. There's still a small rift between the two, but it's much better than what it used to be.

The recent statewide mandate on reducing classroom sizes has the county up in arms due to the deadline and lack of funding, however.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM

555 posts, read 501,333 times
I taught several students at the college level who came from rural schools. Several from Wayne County, and others as well. The presence of functional illiteracy in some of those kids, who had supposedly graduated from high school, was shocking to me. Although there absolutely are kids coming from there who are coping well and able to go on to lead successful academic and professional lives, it's also clear that there is a real lack of commitment to everyone receiving an adequate education in some of these areas.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
my high school had a decent amount of masters degrees in the high school but is a master's degree necessary for your child to do well at freshman english???

IS A MACBOOK?!

maybe you're being sarcastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I taught several students at the college level who came from rural schools. Several from Wayne County, and others as well. The presence of functional illiteracy in some of those kids, who had supposedly graduated from high school, was shocking to me. Although there absolutely are kids coming from there who are coping well and able to go on to lead successful academic and professional lives, it's also clear that there is a real lack of commitment to everyone receiving an adequate education in some of these areas.
Do you think say non rural durham or charlotte students don't have this problem? Maybe it's more a function of family support and economic status than geographic location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina