Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,838,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
If you think banks don’t consider technology an important piece of their future, you’re way off base. Suntrust/BB&T announced its brand spanking new innovation center will be located in Charlotte. Bank of America was the first financial institution to be certified by JD power for their mobile app. Also, the bolded is false.
I never said that.. I said that banking jobs are not the most ideal for most software people. That is not to say there isn't some very desirable software banking jobs. However, financial institutions definitely give more precedence to their finance people, who are the nuts and bolts of their operation. A company like Google, Oracle, IBM or Microsoft, software engineers are the most essential assets to their company. This does go beyond banking as engineering companies like MIcron, e.g., always underpaid their software developers but would overpay their electronic and electrical engineers who are responsible for developing their chips. Software guys there just help build front-ends or diagnostic software.

Banking industry, itself, is pretty rigorous and I met a lot of developers who claim the environment is less than desirable. Especially, since developers are not a key asset to their companies.

Even companies like Amazon, even though not purely IT, the developers still have a significant influence over the operations of the company and are pretty much the most important asset to these companies.

And, how is saying Charlotte cost more than Raleigh is false? I've been looking at the rents in both cities and even though Charlotte has some cheaper areas they are in pretty undesirable neighborhoods. I know as I lived in a pretty bad neighborhood in Huntersville and was fooled by the inexpensive price tags. From what I see an equally desirable modern apartment in downtown Raleigh is literally 25% cheaper than what I see in Charlotte. For example, 1 bed in Uptown Charlotte appear to be going for $1200 or so, whereas in Raleigh I can find them for around $900 for equal size and amenities. As well, Raleigh's nice suburbs are cheaper than Charlotte's nicer suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:56 PM

749 posts, read 1,318,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I never said that.. I said that banking jobs are not the most ideal for most software people. That is not to say there isn't some very desirable software banking jobs. However, financial institutions definitely give more precedence to their finance people, who are the nuts and bolts of their corpoations. A company like Google, IBM, Microsoft, software engineers are the most essential assets to their company. This does go beyond banking as engineering companies like MIcron, e.g., always underpaid their software developers but would overpay their electronic and electrical engineers who are responsible for developing their chips. Software guys there just help build front-ends or diagnostic software.

Banking industry, itself, is pretty rigorous and I met a lot of developers who claim the environment is less than desirable. Especially, since developers are not a key asset to their companies.

Even companies like Amazon, even though not purely IT, the developers still have a significant influence over the operations of the company and are pretty much the most important asset to these companies.

And, how is saying Charlotte cost more than Raleigh is false? I've been looking at the rents in both cities and even though Charlotte has some cheaper areas they are in pretty undesirable neighborhoods. I know as I lived in a pretty bad neighborhood in Huntersville and was fooled by the inexpensive price tags. From what I see an equally desirable modern apartment in downtown Raleigh is literally 25% cheaper than what I see in Charlotte. For example, 1 bed in Uptown Charlotte appear to be going for $1200 or so, whereas in Raleigh I can find them for around $900 for equal size and amenities. As well, Raleigh's nice suburbs are cheaper than Charlotte's nicer suburbs.
You seem to be set in your misinformed views so I won’t even bother with most of this, other than saying all one has to do is search home prices in both areas to see that Charlotte is indeed cheaper.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,838,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
You seem to be set in your misinformed views so I won’t even bother with most of this, other than saying all one has to do is search home prices in both areas to see that Charlotte is indeed cheaper.
I will have to re look at the prices, but I was pretty shocked at how expensive the desirable areas of Charlotte were for rentals. Maybe buying a home is a different situation, but I am not looking to buy. I found that Charlotte did indeed have a lot of cheaper areas, but they were not places I woudl want to live. Raleigh just seems a little nicer all across the board, whereas Charlotte has extremes of poverty and wealth. I remember looking at 800 sq ft apartments in South Park area that were going for $2500/mo. These were practically Seattle prices.

I am glad you have such an in-depth knowledge of the IT industry. I am a software developer, but have not worked in any of these larger corporations. I'm just going by what other developers have told me who have worked at a variety of these companies. I'd be interested to know the salaries and work-life balance that software developers have at a company like Bank of America. I've heard its pretty rigorous, moderate pay and long hours.

Reading the reviews of B&A left by many software developers, including senior software developers on Glassdoor seems to only confirm my fears of working for such a company.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Bank-of-America-Reviews-E8874.htm?filter.jobTitleFTS=software&filter.defau ltEmploymentStatuses=false&filter.defaultLocation= false

Old 03-08-2019, 05:11 PM

749 posts, read 1,318,270 times
Quote:
I will have to re look at the prices, but I was pretty shocked at how expensive the desirable areas of Charlotte were for rentals. Maybe buying a home is a different situation, but I am not looking to buy. I found that Charlotte did indeed have a lot of cheaper areas, but they were not places I woudl want to live. Raleigh just seems a little nicer all across the board, whereas Charlotte has extremes of poverty and wealth. I remember looking at 800 sq ft apartments in South Park area that were going for $2500/mo. These were practically Seattle prices.

I am glad you have such an in-depth knowledge of the IT industry. I am a software developer, but have not worked in any of these larger corporations. I'm just going by what other developers have told me who have worked at a variety of these companies. I'd be interested to know the salaries and work-life balance that software developers have at a company like Bank of America. I've heard its pretty rigorous, moderate pay and long hours.

Reading the reviews of B&A left by many software developers, including senior software developers on Glassdoor seems to only confirm my fears of working for such a company.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Ba...O16,33_IP2.htm
And I’m sure they were rented; probably by those “moderately paid” bank employees. I take Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt. I get it, you didn’t enjoy Charlotte, maybe the Triangle is for you. Who knows.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM

117 posts, read 493,489 times
Quote:
I never said that.. I said that banking jobs are not the most ideal for most software people. That is not to say there isn't some very desirable software banking jobs. However, financial institutions definitely give more precedence to their finance people, who are the nuts and bolts of their operation. A company like Google, Oracle, IBM or Microsoft, software engineers are the most essential assets to their company. This does go beyond banking as engineering companies like MIcron, e.g., always underpaid their software developers but would overpay their electronic and electrical engineers who are responsible for developing their chips. Software guys there just help build front-ends or diagnostic software.

I will say this. During my search so far I have found at least 5 times as more opportunities as a SysAdmin in Raleigh than in Charlotte. Charlotte seems to be more focuses on coding and cloud engineers. Raleigh is full of IT jobs in Healthcare organizations which is right up my alley. I just need one to call me back

Old 03-11-2019, 07:31 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,732 times
Quote:

At BofA, Tech is king. They’re also the highest paid group.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We’re moving to NC so we don’t have local knowledge, but we’ve been researching both for many years. To us it came down one major city/MSA (Charlotte) vs a collection of smaller cities/more sprawling MSA. Neither Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, RTP, Cary, etc. can match Charlotte, but together they’re comparable. Both are great areas. We thought we were moving to the Triangle, but we’re definitely moving to Charlotte.

Not following the Triangle as closely now, and both RE markets are still very strong. But Charlotte has definitely cooled since last Summer even, more price reductions and longer DOM’s. And appreciation has moderated some. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

After 25 years near Chicago, making new friends is probably our biggest concern. We’re comforted some by the large numbers of transplants in Charlotte and the Triangle. I’ve lived in the south and moving from north to a small/medium southern city with few transplants can be a real challenge IME.
Hello,
Did you move finally to North Carolina? Which area? We are thinking of moving to the RTP area to retire and making friends is a concerns just like you have. How was your experience? Instead of trying on the forum, wanted to PM you but don't know how to using this forum.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:18 PM

117 posts, read 493,489 times
Wow, I just got an email notification for this thread. We ended up moving to Troutman, which is about 10-15 north of Mooresville (In between Charlotte and Statesville) back in May of last year. Best decision we ever made. Got a great deal on a 5/4.5 new construction house and ended up working remote for my original company in Florida. I live 3 minutes away from one of my best friends from childhood. Its a very small town so everything here is much calmer and slower, and its a good thing, especially with all the COVID-19 stuff happening.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,509,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Wow, I just got an email notification for this thread. We ended up moving to Troutman, which is about 10-15 north of Mooresville (In between Charlotte and Statesville) back in May of last year. Best decision we ever made. Got a great deal on a 5/4.5 new construction house and ended up working remote for my original company in Florida. I live 3 minutes away from one of my best friends from childhood. Its a very small town so everything here is much calmer and slower, and its a good thing, especially with all the COVID-19 stuff happening.
Happy for you! Also glad you came back and updated, that's kinda rare so it's nice to see a resolution to the many relocation threads we get here, haha. You chose a great area, do enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina