Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a long road trip around the Southeast and am trying to decide to stop 1-2 nights in Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC?

I'm just seeing which one has a nicer feel, nicer downtown area, not really looking for anything specific, just a nice charming atmosphere.

Thanks!

Last edited by bmw335xi; 03-24-2019 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
I assume you mean Greenville SOUTH Carolina, not Greenville NORTH Carolina? If so, they really both have great downtowns. Asheville has a reputation for more panhandlers, and more of a new-age vibe (drum circle for example) so that may sway your decision one way or the other.

I you mean Greenville NORTH Carolina, then the answer is Asheville, hands down.

Last edited by BC1960; 03-24-2019 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 8,376 times
They're on opposite ends of the state, so I'd base my decision on what was most efficient for the drive. That being said, (from my perspective) there's not much going on in Greenville that doesn't revolve around the University. Asheville is more of a destination, is surrounded by the Appalachian mountains, and comes with all of the things to do in any other mountain city.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Asheville. Though both are nice tbh.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanks everyone!

After either city, I'd go to Charlotte, so it's not really a big difference location wise.

I was thinking for overnight stays...

Orlando

-Atlanta
-Nashville
-Gatlinburg (cabin in the mountains)
-Asheville or Greenville
-Charlotte
-Charleston

Orlando

Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Thanks everyone!

After either city, I'd go to Charlotte, so it's not really a big difference location wise.

I was thinking for overnight stays...

Orlando

-Atlanta
-Nashville
-Gatlinburg (cabin in the mountains)
-Asheville or Greenville
-Charlotte
-Charleston

Orlando
It sounds as if you mean Greenville SC, not NC...you might want to confirm that. And as an FYI, at least one responder based his reply on the assumption you meant NC.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
It sounds as if you mean Greenville SC, not NC...you might want to confirm that. And as an FYI, at least one responder based his reply on the assumption you meant NC.

I didn't realize that lol. I was able to edit my original thread luckily.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
You are in for quite a trip. Each one of the cities mentioned have more than a week’s adventures available. Are you driving between destinations or flying into Atlanta from Orlando? Just know that driving in the mountains, and around the parks takes much longer than flatland highways. Driving around Atlanta is about the worst I’ve ever done except around LA.

We live in Asheville and love it. You can find lots to to in a small area.

Have fun.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
You are in for quite a trip. Each one of the cities mentioned have more than a week’s adventures available. Are you driving between destinations or flying into Atlanta from Orlando? Just know that driving in the mountains, and around the parks takes much longer than flatland highways. Driving around Atlanta is about the worst I’ve ever done except around LA.

We live in Asheville and love it. You can find lots to to in a small area.

Have fun.
Thank you, we will be driving from/to Orlando. I’m picking up my new Tesla and want to go on a long road trip with it. I’ve been to Atlanta many times, but haven’t driven much of the South, which is something I’ve been wanting to do ever since I moved to Orlando. I think I’ll stay in Asheville and then stop for lunch at Greenville on the way to Charleston.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Thank you, we will be driving from/to Orlando. I’m picking up my new Tesla and want to go on a long road trip with it. I’ve been to Atlanta many times, but haven’t driven much of the South, which is something I’ve been wanting to do ever since I moved to Orlando. I think I’ll stay in Asheville and then stop for lunch at Greenville on the way to Charleston.

Please let us know how your trip goes and how you enjoyed Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina