Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,895 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on a quaint family town in NC? I am in healthcare and can find a job anywhere. Looking for a town with good high schools and near things for adults to do i.e dinner, dancing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Hillsborough. It's in between Durham and Chapel Hill and not too far from Raleigh. You will be close to Duke and UNC for short commutes, really some of the best healthcare in the world. Here's a forum on Hillsborough: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...lsborough.html

If you have any questions about the Triangle I would definitely ask on this forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcote02 View Post
Any suggestions on a quaint family town in NC? I am in healthcare and can find a job anywhere. Looking for a town with good high schools and near things for adults to do i.e dinner, dancing, etc.
Is this something you might be interested in?
Baxter Village
Fort Mill Living

If so, this is actually Fort Mill, South Carolina. This town is one of Metro Charlotte's best kept secret. In Fort Mill, SC, you will enjoy being next door to the Carolina's biggest and best amusement park (Carowinds). You will also escape NC's higher property taxes (SC has cheaper property taxes). The best part about Fort Mill is you would only be 15 minutes away from Charlotte's night life and entertainment. Many people in the Fort Mill area take a quick drive (5-10 minutes) to the I-485 light rail station in Pineville NC and ride the train into Charlotte's uptown for dancing, dinner, and work.

You literally have dozens of small towns within the Metro to choose from. I just think Fort Mill's South Carolina advantage will give you more house for your money. Here is a little more about Metro Charlotte.

Here are some things to do:

Concord Mills Mall(Nascar Speedpark)
Concord Mills NASCAR SpeedPark (http://www.nascarspeedpark.com/concord.html - broken link)
South Park Mall Simon Malls | More Choices — SouthPark Information, SouthPark Gift Cards
Levine Museum Levine Museum of the New South
National Whitewater Center US National Whitewater Center //// TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!! \\ - Home
Discovery Place/IMAX DISCOVERY PLACE | igniting wonder since 1981 | CHARLOTTE NATURE MUSEUM | IMAX | Discovery Place with the Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theater and the Charlotte Nature Musuem are the things to do in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. Visit the Discover (http://www.discoveryplace.org/home/discovery_place-imax.php - broken link)
Jillian's (South End) Home*-*Jillians Charlotte
Panthers Panthers.com - Schedule
Bobcats BOBCATS: 2008-09 BOBCATS SCHEDULE
Carowinds Carowinds | North and South Carolina's Themed Amusement Park

Here is a youtube video tour of Charlotte's urban side. Every video was shot within a 3 mile radius of uptown Charlotte. I hope this helps. Enjoy!!!

New Night life

YouTube - urban charlotte

YouTube - urban charlotte (funny dancing drunk)

New Urban Restaurant (there is more than just this, I just haven't recorded them yet)

Be sure to watch these next videos in "high quality". This icon is located on the bottom right hand corner of my next 9 videos. Enjoy!!!

Here is a video after a Bobcat's game at the Arena station

Here are some videos of a Panthers' Sunday

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

YouTube - Panthers Sunday

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-17-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcote02 View Post
I suggest that you get all your "ducks in a row" before you take the long trip here sight unseen. Not all healthcare professions are in demand and not all areas of the state are experiencing drastic nursing shortages that can't be filled with our in-state graduates.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 PM

6 posts, read 19,533 times
To add to mm_mary73, you need to know that a large share of people who lost their jobs when the textile bubble burst around here went into the medical field. Right now, a lot of rural counties outside of the big metropolitan areas have an overabundance of nurses and general practitioners right now, so make sure you're coming down for a surefire job, and not just on speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina