Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:20 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gastonia is a textile legacy town that's fortunate enough to be within Charlotte's orbit which sustains it.
I suppose Gastonia doesn't quite fit into the burgeoning growth of the other towns mentioned, but you get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 01:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I suppose Gastonia doesn't quite fit into the burgeoning growth of the other towns mentioned, but you get the point.
This is true, but that will be changing soon enough now that Gaston County has joined the other immediate suburban counties in the growth game. Western Mecklenburg is the last frontier in the county to be developed and you can already see how things have been picking up over the past few years.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:02 PM

676 posts, read 495,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Winston-Salem best fits the description IMO.
First city I thought of.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:15 AM

771 posts, read 627,183 times
At one point, Durham might have been a good contender, but I definitely agree that Winston-Salem is a better choice in this day and age. You can still see tobacco warehouses in Winston and I believe they're still in use, while Durham is starting to embrace a glossier (techie) image as the Triangle keeps growing.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:57 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
whose economies usually related to textiles, furniture, and tobacco and have either lost population or are seeing marginal growth at best. So Thomasville, Kinston, Hickory, etc., are legacy cities.
Besides Winston-Salem, though, most of them hardly qualify as "cities" by today's standards. (The latest OMB draft standard now says any region around a city <100K is "micropolitan" rather than "metropolitan.")

That said, there are a lot of post-industrial towns around NC that are hurting, even if the state overall is better off than those in the Rust Belt. Riding through downtown Rocky Mount on Amtrak's Silver Star is almost heartbreaking. I talked a while ago to someone from Massachusetts' Gateway Cities initiative, which could really offer some lessons to their counterparts here.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Besides Winston-Salem, though, most of them hardly qualify as "cities" by today's standards. (The latest OMB draft standard now says any region around a city <100K is "micropolitan" rather than "metropolitan.")

That said, there are a lot of post-industrial towns around NC that are hurting, even if the state overall is better off than those in the Rust Belt. Riding through downtown Rocky Mount on Amtrak's Silver Star is almost heartbreaking. I talked a while ago to someone from Massachusetts' Gateway Cities initiative, which could really offer some lessons to their counterparts here.
Right, those examples that I gave, and places like them, are not large cities but they do account for a decent share of what makes up North Carolina.

Rocky Mount has been the perfect storm of struggles, from the decline of traditional industries such as textiles that it saw during better times and even losing its HQ of Hardee's, catastrophic flooding, a location that's not close enough to either the Triangle or the coast to significantly capitalize on either, poorer socioeconomic demographics, corruption in its local government, etc.

Some promise still exists though (this is an excellent series and Rocky Mount is in Nash County):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuTGAsDYWQ

Last edited by Jowel; 01-29-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM

107 posts, read 195,606 times
Wilson, NC it seems would qualify as a legacy city. Also Goldsboro...though it has the Air Force base.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:07 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Perhaps it could. I think this is generally true of the entire Triad area.
I agree. There are many American brands born in or associated with Greensboro and Winston-Salem due to their manufacturing history. The 1940s and 1950s were probably the golden years for these cities in regards to traditional manufacturing. The Triad was driving the state's economy during this era. The Cone family left an imprint on Greensboro and the Reynolds family left an imprint on Winston-Salem

Greensboro:

Wrangler Jeans
Lee Jeans
Vicks Vaporub
Newport Cigarettes
The Fresh Market

Winston-Salem:

Hanes Brands
Winston Cigarettes
Camel Cigarettes
Salem Cigarettes
Krispy Kreme

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-31-2021 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-31-2021, 11:14 AM

425 posts, read 419,281 times
I remember in the 1980s, there was a perception that Greensboro had weathered the manufacturing declines of other regions relatively well. But then Ciba Geigy, Burlington Industries, Cone Mills, etc fell and people began to realize how much manufacturing had underlined the area.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:05 PM

11 posts, read 10,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Rocky Mount seems to be making an effort to revitalize it’s historic district. That part of the city has been in a long decline, since the 60s when the now defunct Tarrytown Mall was built. The downtown area appears to be steadily coming back to life as there are numerous coffee houses, restaurants, and small shops opening up in recent years.

The entire Triad region (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, Burlington) holds on to its historic image better than the other metros in the state. Durham, in its urban core, comes a close second. The areas along I-40 and north of 85 are rather “sprawly”.

Last edited by santie27; 02-19-2021 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina