Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times

Advertisements

I have seen some people talk about how great it is that some NC cities/towns are "college towns," but I have concern is that it isn't necessarily a good thing....ie lots of partying all hrs of the night, kids driving around with their alleged music BOOM BOOM BOOMing at obscene levels, yelling, carrrying on, etc. Also increased vandalism might be a concern. And yes, I know most kids aren't like that, but obviously you'll have more of that in "college towns" and it's the old one-bad-apple thing, ie only takes one group (or 1/2 people even), so I would think the odds are notably worse for this kind of thing.

Just wondering for those of you who live in the 'burbs of these college towns, have you noticed this to be an issue at all? How sprawled out (or not) are the campuses? I admit, I'm pretty intolerant noise-wise......offhand I can't live in the middle of nowhere (yet), but want to live somewhere that above all is fairly quiet - at least someplace where it's very rare to experience the kind of things I listed above. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Is there a particular college town that interests you? If so, tell us and people with personal experience with that town can let you know. Every town is different - even the ones that contain universities - so unless we know exactly which towns we should talk about, all we can offer are vague, generic answers that may or may not reflect the real truth.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I don't know of a town/city in NC that fits your description of what supposedly goes on around college campuses. In fact, that sounds like ghetto hood stuff. If this goes on in some areas, I have never heard about it. I could go down the list of towns I know well that have colleges or universities in them and the charm of each one, but that is too time consuming, LOL. I will say that Boone is a college town and the university and students add a lot to the region; same for such places as Chapel Hill (Carolina) . . . Raleigh . . . Hickory (L-R) . . . Salisbury (Catawba College) etc. We have dozens of colleges and university campuses here. I am in CLT and have never heard anyone complain about students here, either.

It would be easier if you just let us know what town you are thinking about and then maybe someone could tell you about his/her experiences living in or near that location.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:56 PM

No, not looking at any one area offhand, just looking for impressions or experiences of those who live in/very near college towns, as there appear to be a fair # in NC. I'm hoping people will talk about whichever ones they know about (or perhaps have even heard about 2d hand, although I take that with a slightly bigger grain of salt).

Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM

20 posts, read 105,012 times
Ok. I stay in Greensboro. Its like five or six different colleges here. As far as living in a college town and having to deal with loud parties and things of that nature, as long as you don't live in the areas that are adjacent to the campus you shouldn't have to deal with any of the issues you're worried about. Even still, vandalism really isn't an issue around the colleges.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

36 posts, read 136,554 times
Life long living near college towns in NC qualifies me for this one! Grew up in Durham/ Chapel Hill area, home of Duke University and University of North Carolina. Never saw any of the things you mentioned since these universities are communities within themselves. A majority of the students live in close proximity to campus, leaving the suburbs relatively untouched.

Same goes for Greenville, NC home of East Carolina University, supposedly the
G-Vegas of campuses. Again, the majority of students who attend ECU live in the campus area and are good citizens while in school.

We live near Wilmington, NC home of University of NC-Wilmington, another great area of
NC where students are benefactors to the community. Again, there are few challenges faced by the community in having a university in their midst.

We are an education state here in NC with many Community Colleges, Private Colleges and Universities, as well as state universities scattered throughout our state. I don't know of any area that has challenges with their students "bothering" the communities.

My kids are both college graduates as we are and were involved in the communities where they, as well as others benefited!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM

Appreciate the replies - I'm breathing a little easier

Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
I think it only matters if you live w/in a 3mile radius of a college. It is not that bad. Lived here my whole life and when to NCSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina