Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 01:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Okay, now we need future interstate designation for US 74 from Asheville to Charlotte to Wadesboro to Wilmington.
The completion of the Shelby bypass and improvements to United States Route 74 around Ellenboro and Mooresboro should accelerate consideration for Interstate 226, 426, 626, or 826.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 03:09 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The completion of the Shelby bypass and improvements to United States Route 74 around Ellenboro and Mooresboro should accelerate consideration for Interstate 226, 426, 626, or 826.
Yep. Good grief, the Shelby bypass is taking forever to complete.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:06 AM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
Amazon’s investment of 900ish jobs this year, 300 in East Fayetteville, and another 500 right in the heart of Fayetteville off I-295, would surely benefit from having I-685, it would also surely attract other companies that would make large investments in the area. It makes no sense to have the Highway end in Dunn, if anything, it should end at the lower part of I-295 or I-95 in Hope Mills since most of the traffic not headed into Fayetteville will be headed south, otherwise you’d take I-40 coming out of Greensboro / Virginia. It would also work well ending around Wade / Linden @ I-95 (just north of I-295) with exits at Ramsey St (US 401), Lillington Hwy (NC 210), and N. Bragg Blvd (NC-87/NC-210/NC-24). This would provide easy access for the close to probably 60,000+ people who live in southern Harnett County that have to drive down through Fayetteville to I-295 in order to get onto I-95. Not to mention, NC-87 going through Spring Lake is extremely congested at all hours of the day, and is a parking lot during rush hour.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:11 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Okay, now we need future interstate designation for US 74 from Asheville to Charlotte to Wadesboro to Wilmington.
Hendersonville to Willmington. With express toll lanes from Gastonia to Monroe.

I95 to Route 401 in Fayetteville to Raleigh.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:48 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftrent View Post
Is there a stated timeframe?
Nothing I heard of. Apologies just saying for NC those be two good routes to invest as highway & a business route.

Imagine being able to drive from Willmington to Charlotte on a freeway. I don't think there is any direct highway going horizontal.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statebw View Post
An even number designation is strange for this type of purpose.
If an auxiliary interstate highway is connecting two interstate highways, it would be a 2xx, 4xx, 6xx, or 8xx. If it is connecting from its parent interstate highway to a terminus, it would be a 1xx, 3xx, 5xx, 7xx, or 9xx.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:16 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Nothing I heard of. Apologies just saying for NC those be two good routes to invest as highway & a business route.

Imagine being able to drive from Willmington to Charlotte on a freeway. I don't think there is any direct highway going horizontal.
I just drove that entire length, and it's quite fine as it is.

The region near the SC border is desolate except at Charlotte and the immediate coast.

It's 4 lanes and divided now. The towns you go through aren't growing nor filled with traffic.

Charlotte folks go to both the Carolina's beaches anyway, unlike central and Eastern NC which don't go to SC ever at all.

I'd rather get the last two lane section of 49/64 four laned and I-95's reconstruction accelerated.

Put a $5 dollar toll and each border and it won't affect NC citizens which is what stopped it from being implemented as they originally planned several toll spots in the middle of the state. Border tolls seem like an easy no-brainer to rebuild a dangerously old interstate that will cost more than $10 billion.

They had permission to do it years ago, and NY-FL travelers do not mind paying a reasonable toll if it goes to omprove the road they use back and forth.

This new interstate in the middle of NC may help what is a pretty unpopulated area right now, though it's not a priority in my opinion.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

The region near the SC border is desolate except at Charlotte and the immediate coast.
Lawd. Not “desolate.”

Old 12-06-2021, 08:05 AM

873 posts, read 1,015,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

It's 4 lanes and divided now. The towns you go through aren't growing nor filled with traffic.

Charlotte folks go to both the Carolina's beaches anyway, unlike central and Eastern NC which don't go to SC ever at all.

I'd rather get the last two lane section of 49/64 four laned and I-95's reconstruction accelerated.

Put a $5 dollar toll and each border and it won't affect NC citizens which is what stopped it from being implemented as they originally planned several toll spots in the middle of the state. Border tolls seem like an easy no-brainer to rebuild a dangerously old interstate that will cost more than $10 billion.

They had permission to do it years ago, and NY-FL travelers do not mind paying a reasonable toll if it goes to omprove the road they use back and forth.

This new interstate in the middle of NC may help what is a pretty unpopulated area right now, though it's not a priority in my opinion.
I don't know where you're getting information for this statement, but I can tell you from personal experience that at least in central North Carolina, plenty of residents go to Myrtle Beach, or maybe I should say the Grand Strand, as a getaway. It's almost the same time to get to the area as it is for any of the North Carolina beaches, and sometimes even less. I see a great deal of North Carolina license plates when I vacation down there in fact.

As for your other statements:
1. Going through towns like Wadesboro and having to slow down and endure stoplights isn't fun for any driver coming to or from Charlotte. By making 74 a highway, it will improve the time between getting to and from Charlotte and encourage more industrial development along the corridor. Construction is already occurring to have 74 become an official interstate from Rockingham to Shallotte.

2. The municipalities along I-95 have made it clear they don't want tolls added for fear the out-of-state drivers will take other routes. There's already multiple projects either underway or going to start breaking ground in the next year on I-95 to widen the road between I-40 and I-74, where the highway traffic is the heaviest.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:40 PM

Another Map

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina