Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 03:21 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The City Manager has probably limited her future career opportunities. Just as it is easier/cheaper/more PC to let her stay, it is also easier for the next place she may want to go to just pass on her and avoid the headaches.
The biggest problem for her and the town of Kenly is the horrific public relations surrounding this mess.

Her dirty laundry, as well as her image, has been publicized nationwide throughout the media. People know who she is and her track record. It's not like before when she had a reign of terror going on in those other states but the news was not spread across the nation.

Also the town needs to be careful here. If they make the wrong move, their label of being a racist town could be solidified, on top of being called backwards. They could also open themselves up to further SBI and/or FBI investigations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 06:45 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,282,743 times
I think she has a strong personality and many times a good house cleaning is needed. “PC” is such a hackneyed term for good ole boys used to saying and doing anything they want to without repercussions. She shut it down, and use to the backlash. Black people deal with this all the time, especially in rural areas…. Every now and then you run into a buzz saw, meaning a person that simply lets you know that attitude ain’t gonna fly on my watch, and if you don’t like it, get to stepping. Shape up or ship out. Not saying that’s the case here but in my experiences, when a strong person comes along with a firm personality who states that BS isn’t the way we’re gonna operate, it disrupts an entrenched culture of getting away with doing and saying things.

Basically, she created the boundaries of what a professional environment will look like and you will conduct yourself in this manner…..which is easily interpreted as an agitator. Nope, you can’t say and do that anymore….which is so commonplace in America, they’d rather quit than deal with the new environment. The “say and do anything” in many parts of this country is so bad, when confronted, they can’t handle it.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:07 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,315,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I think she has a strong personality and many times a good house cleaning is needed. “PC” is such a hackneyed term for good ole boys used to saying and doing anything they want to without repercussions. She shut it down, and use to the backlash. Black people deal with this all the time, especially in rural areas…. Every now and then you run into a buzz saw, meaning a person that simply lets you know that attitude ain’t gonna fly on my watch, and if you don’t like it, get to stepping. Shape up or ship out. Not saying that’s the case here but in my experiences, when a strong person comes along with a firm personality who states that BS isn’t the way we’re gonna operate, it disrupts an entrenched culture of getting away with doing and saying things.

Basically, she created the boundaries of what a professional environment will look like and you will conduct yourself in this manner…..which is easily interpreted as an agitator. Nope, you can’t say and do that anymore….which is so commonplace in America, they’d rather quit than deal with the new environment. The “say and do anything” in many parts of this country is so bad, when confronted, they can’t handle it.
Do you have evidence that she was doing what you contend? Considering as many people resigned as did, my guess is it’s doubtful that she is completely faultless. I think it would be a travesty for the town not to do a complete investigation just because of her race. There may well be legitimate grounds for terminating her.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Do you have evidence that she was doing what you contend? Considering as many people resigned as did, my guess is it’s doubtful that she is completely faultless. I think it would be a travesty for the town not to do a complete investigation just because of her race. There may well be legitimate grounds for terminating her.
I agree with you here. Big Aristotle's post reads as though he/she was personally involved in the situation, which I seriously doubt is the case.

Based on the facts that we do know, as well as the outcome, i'd say that there is more to the story than they just simply quit because they couldn't handle a strong person who brought law and order to Kenly.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:11 AM

5,461 posts, read 6,067,076 times
Not much information out there about which way this will go eventually.
You would think every elected official would be in a holding pattern until the internal investigation by the lawyer was completed and delivered.

BUT, they are already searching for a new Police Chief according to the town council. That may be a tell tail sign based on everything else.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:19 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,315,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I agree with you here. Big Aristotle's post reads as though he/she was personally involved in the situation, which I seriously doubt is the case.

Based on the facts that we do know, as well as the outcome, i'd say that there is more to the story than they just simply quit because they couldn't handle a strong person who brought law and order to Kenly.
Those that resigned may be considering a joint suit for hostile work environment.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:08 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
So the town has been without a police department for almost a month now. I take it they haven't descended into lawless anarchy without a police department? Maybe the police are not as important as some will have you believe.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:25 PM

5,461 posts, read 6,067,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So the town has been without a police department for almost a month now. I take it they haven't descended into lawless anarchy without a police department? Maybe the police are not as important as some will have you believe.
You have hit on a pretty good point. If the town/city/municipality resides within a county, and the county has a police force, why does the town/city/municipality need a police force. Redundancy!

Most counties in NC have merged their town/city/municipality school systems into one single county wide school system. Yet, the police forces continue as separately funded entities.

Why?

Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Are you kidding me? You obviously are from Portland. The most lawless city in the country and look how wonderful that city is...

The Kenly police resigned about a month ago, but from what I understand they stayed on the job until last week. Furthermore, the Johnston County Sheriffs office has stepped in to provide law enforcement until Kenly can get this mess straightened out.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:08 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Are you kidding me? You obviously are from Portland. The most lawless city in the country and look how wonderful that city is...

The Kenly police resigned about a month ago, but from what I understand they stayed on the job until last week. Furthermore, the Johnston County Sheriffs office has stepped in to provide law enforcement until Kenly can get this mess straightened out.
Okay, so they have been without a police department since last week and haven't descended into lawless anarchy.

I'm not sure why you think I'm from Portland, since I clearly list my location. But since you want to make comparisons. Over 40 years ago, Cave Junction Oregon which has a population somewhat larger than Kenly, defunded their police department, and have never second guessed their decision. Sometimes the Sheriff's Department patrols the town, sometimes they don't. Since that time the legal and illegal drug trade in that area has flourished, but other then that the crime rate has stayed pretty much the same.

We have entire counties here in Oregon that have no local police departments, and the Sheriff's Departments are just 9 - 5 operations. At 5 pm they lock up the doors and go home. Which leaves just the state police to respond to crimes. Anarchy doesn't break out after 5pm.

Police are not as important as you think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina