Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times

Advertisements

I recently found this site. While checking out other areas of the site I noticed the the NC thread has more than twice the number of post/threads than any other state with the exception of Florida. Why is that? Is City-Data NC based?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I recently found this site. While checking out other areas of the site I noticed the the NC thread has more than twice the number of post/threads than any other state with the exception of Florida. Why is that? Is City-Data NC based?
Don't think it is, but maybe a moderator will let us know where exactly City-Data is based

The extreme interest in NC is due to the fact that more people are moving here than just about any other state in the country. Places like New Jersey are losing population, mostly to places in the south like NC and Georgia.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Is City-Data NC based?
I believe the company is located in Flossmoor, Illinois.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I believe the company is located in Flossmoor, Illinois.
okay, that made me giggle FLOSSMOOR??? What, did some dentist name the place???

Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
okay, that made me giggle FLOSSMOOR??? What, did some dentist name the place???
The name Flossmoor is derived from the Scottish words floss, meaning "dew on the flowers," and moor, meaning "gentle rolling countryside," the Village's origins are Native American and German.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The name Flossmoor is derived from the Scottish words floss, meaning "dew on the flowers," and moor, meaning "gentle rolling countryside," the Village's origins are Native American and German.
How cool Thanks for providing that beautiful description!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
I think it's because people are discovering that North Carolina is the most beautiful place in the world and want to learn more about it.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Actually, although it is true people are moving to NC from areas like NJ, NY, and DC those areas are actually not going down in population. I recently listened to an NPR radio interview with a Demographer from Virginia Tech that was studying population trends in the northeast US. He stated that although many long time residents of these areas are moving south there are actually more people mving there than leaving.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Actually, although it is true people are moving to NC from areas like NJ, NY, and DC those areas are actually not going down in population. I recently listened to an NPR radio interview with a Demographer from Virginia Tech that was studying population trends in the northeast US. He stated that although many long time residents of these areas are moving south there are actually more people mving there than leaving.

MM34B - how about one of your tables or graphs showing the info that just came out concerning the states losing population - dont want our poster here to just take my word for it Hate to disagree with you NR-guy but New Jersey is LOSING population at this point.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Yep and they are all going to crowd into NC,,,,, it will become the next cali or florida in no time. unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: