Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 05:21 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I confined my remarks to *state* legislators-- the folks who meet in Raleigh. They make less than $14K per year plus expenses. And, yes, I believe they ought to be paid enought that motivated Democrats are willing to run even in districts with 60% or more Repubican voters.
Ok, here's the billion dollar question (and answer it truthfully). How come you believe that democrats need a higher salary in order to be motivated to run for office? Why are republican candidates more independently wealthy enough to accept the minimum wage public service job? By the way, I agree with you. Democrats (in many cases) need more money handed out to them. My question is WHY is that? For the record; when it comes to social issues such as marriage equality, work place equality, and gender equality; I lean left. When it comes to money and fiscal responsibilities; I lean hard right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 08:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Those children will end up on welfare roles, and pass on the dysfunctional life qualities.
They'll be doing away with the welfare rolls too, so don't worry.

Quote:
Or do we assume that the legislature would not dare introduce an anti-abortion bill as long as Roy Cooper is Governor?

I think everyone should be concerned.
So...why don't you run? If I'm not mistaken you're retired, no?

Quote:
Perhaps the offices would be attractive to older women whose kids are grown and whose spouses can support the family. That is the kind of diversity I would hope to attract.
There are all sorts of people, men and women, that are in a position in life, later in their working careers or having just finished them, that they can do that. Most of them don't want to.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Ok, here's the billion dollar question (and answer it truthfully). How come you believe that democrats need a higher salary in order to be motivated to run for office? Why are republican candidates more independently wealthy enough to accept the minimum wage public service job? By the way, I agree with you. Democrats (in many cases) need more money handed out to them. My question is WHY is that? For the record; when it comes to social issues such as marriage equality, work place equality, and gender equality; I lean left. When it comes to money and fiscal responsibilities; I lean hard right.
2008, 2012, 2016, the Democratic candidate ran unopposed in the 5th district.
2000-2014 Democrats were unopposed in the 7th district.
2004-2016 Dems ran unopposed in the 27th district.
2002-2018 in the 24th district, one election cycle did the R's put an opposition candidate, the rest unopposed or an unafilliated candidate one time
More often than not, there isn't a republican candidate in the 29th district
21st district, often as not there isn't a republican candidate

I think that we boil it down to an individual level. And I think that's incorrect. Is the state party willing to invest in your campaign? Are you able to raise funds for an election? It's complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina