Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 AM

12 posts, read 45,868 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to relocate from Philly, PA. Are Russians considered yankees too, if we have been living up north? What about religion? Coming from former Soviet Union, we did not have much religious experience besides our jewish ancestors. I'm a nurse, so I guess work would not be so hard to find. Would appreciate any advice. I love to cook, love my kids, have cat and my car is an old station wagon. I'm looking for a friendly community (need village to raise my kids), small town, either coastal or in the mountains (with a real SNOW!) . Philly has none of that and we can't find an affordable housing there. Besides, people here are not very friendly (may be we are not wealthy enough).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamomtwins View Post
Hi, I'm planning to relocate from Philly, PA. Are Russians considered yankees too, if we have been living up north? What about religion? Coming from former Soviet Union, we did not have much religious experience besides our jewish ancestors. I'm a nurse, so I guess work would not be so hard to find. Would appreciate any advice. I love to cook, love my kids, have cat and my car is an old station wagon. I'm looking for a friendly community (need village to raise my kids), small town, either coastal or in the mountains (with a real SNOW!) . Philly has none of that and we can't find an affordable housing there. Besides, people here are not very friendly (may be we are not wealthy enough).
Just saw your post, don't know how I missed it before now. Sorry no one has responded to you by now, maybe bumping it up like this will attract more comments.

Since you want mountains and snow, AND you are a nurse I would suggest you look at the Asheville area. This is a beautiful little city, but there are not many job opportunities - unless you are in the medical field or tourism industry. You'd want to live out a ways for better housing costs so look at areas like Mars Hill or Weaverville. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,913,468 times
As usual, ditto to lovesthemountains post. I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Good luck!!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,354,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamomtwins View Post
No, emigrees. Did you marry a Pennsylvanian? or did you come here as a couple? Where are your families?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 AM

8 posts, read 22,681 times
Hello! I'd suggest Ashville too. It's lovely there. I'm in Fayetteville myself. Hardly any snow here. I was born in Philly by the way. Then was raised in Upstate NY. I got tired of the cold and moved here. Been her 12 years. Love it! Good Luck to you!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,659,704 times
You mentioned NH in your title. I would say go to New Hampshire any day. Tax free state with some absolutely lovely communities, mountains and real snow! People are wonderful too. You can choose to live near Boston for some wonderful culture or closer to the VT border if you choose to be in a more rural area. The White Mountains are gorgeous too!.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM

474 posts, read 2,194,912 times
I wonder if she has considered western PA ? same mountain range, many charming small towns. I also wonder if there would be any problem with the visitation for the father/husband if she has a custody order. Single or divorced, it's a matter of parental rights. (She didn't say if the situation results from the death of the father, in which case, she has our sympathy.)

Many states' divorce statutes will not allow one parent to remove the minor children from the jurisdiction or "home" state. If it does, then the custodial parent has to pay for plane fare and/or transportation expenses for reasonable visitation according to the final order of divorce. A big consideration for this mom.

If I were a single mom of preschool twins, I would not consider western NC at all. The low paying jobs, and high cost of living in the mountains, even if a nurse, and the time travel to get to work from an affordable area may not make economic sense. Income and housing would make western PA or parts of NH more desirable. The average home in/near Asheville is getting to $400,000 quickly. I had to laugh at HGTV the other night showing a home that could "be bought" for around $150,000 in W. Asheville. The show must have been a two yr. old re-run.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,354,295 times
...and if there's family there, there's grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Hard enough being on your own with pre-schoolers, but that AND no familiar friends, faces, places - been there done that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina