Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
These comments make me a little concerned. Are you exaggerating here or were there really Christians standing in your front yard screaming at you for not being a Christian or going to their church? I have lived in the Bible Belt before and currently in very liberal Oregon, never experienced anything like you describe anywhere. Is NC really that different? As a Christian I just find it hard to believe the people would be so overtly hostile and disobedient to the teachings of their Lord.
Robin, please do not panic, or cancel any trip plans While it is very unsettling to hear of Desdemona's experience, I feel certain hers was the unfortunate exception and not the rule. I am not sure how she managed to find herself in the midst of such hostility, but I can assure you it is not the norm in NC. And not that I'm "blaming the victim", but I would like to know what, if anything, Desdemona may have contributed to the situation to bring it to the level of shouting. Even though she may feel she has done nothing to contribute to the situation, sometimes we do that without even meaning to.

Over the years I have had my share of Mormons, Jahovah's Witnesses, you name it knock on my door - it's just what they do. And I respect that. They seem to respect the fact that I say I am not interested in their tracts and go on their merry way. I even have a statue of the Virgin Mary at my front door, holding a rosary no less, and NO ONE has ever ridiculed, harassed or condemned me for it. Yes, I am in a minority among Christians here as a Catholic, but in 18 years no adult has ever been rude or disrespectful in any way towards me. Once a school friend of my sons said he didn't know Catholics were Christians and acted surprised when I told him we are But that's the only time I can think of that anyone even brought my religion up like that. So please Robin, try not to worry. Most of the time in life people will treat you the way you treat them. For those that don't you just ignore them and move on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:17 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
The Lord has put a burden on me too - He wants me to say that the only ones that are degrading Christianity are the holier than thou Christians who turn up their nose on everyone, including other Christians. Also, the other people that are/have degraded Christianity and Christians are those that have hijacked Christianity for political purposes and gain. The only thing that I'm numb to are the hypocrites who have mixed religion and politics and who have turned people against people.

P.S. - I have been a Christian my whole life.

As far as I'm concerned, Christ gave several laws:

(1) Love God with all of your heart, soul, being
(2) Love one another

Plain and simple.

The media has nothing to do with numbing people against Christianity; if anything, some of the biggest hypocrites of Christianity have been exposed to their flock for who they are; people like Foley, and others like him. I think people are just sick and tired of wolves in sheep clothing.
Amen !!!! Well said !!!!
Spiritwalker

Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
These comments make me a little concerned. Are you exaggerating here or were there really Christians standing in your front yard screaming at you for not being a Christian or going to their church? I have lived in the Bible Belt before and currently in very liberal Oregon, never experienced anything like you describe anywhere. Is NC really that different? As a Christian I just find it hard to believe the people would be so overtly hostile and disobedient to the teachings of their Lord.

No, I am not exaggerating.

3 days after this woman moved in, she accosted me as I pulled into my driveway. She had been told that I don't go to church (by the other in-your-face Christian neighbors) and she voiced her displeasure loudly (as well as a boat load of other garbage that had to be true because I wasn't a Christian) to several other neighbors that were walking by. Thankfully, they had known me for the 3 years I've lived there and didn't believe it.

She ended that she would ‘put a cap in my ass’ if looked at her wrong as she had the Lord’s blessing.

Yeah…lovely…and it’s been a cold war since.

I admit, this example is not an everyday sort of thing (thankfully) but it underscores the underlying feeling that is often projected towards non-Christians, Christians that are Catholic, or just non-church going Christians. Sure, not all other Christians do it…but when enough of them do it enough of the time….you can’t help but notice the pattern.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
She ended that she would ‘put a cap in my ass’ if looked at her wrong as she had the Lord’s blessing.
This is truly unfortunate. I'm ashamed that someone "claiming" to be a Christian would say something like that. I would have to call out her on the word of God. How can she expect to anyone to place their faith in Jesus with garbage like this?? Believe me, she has no such blessing to do that from the Lord I know! Unbelievable. Please, don't think this is the norm for Christians in NC. She obviously needs to take a look in the mirror, pray, and ask for forgivness for behavior like that. I'm all for witnessing to someone if the opportunity arises, but with an attitude like that it's best to keep quiet. As a Christian, I feel I need to apologize for her misrepresenting behavior.

Last edited by ncsu99; 01-09-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:

3 days after this woman moved in, she accosted me as I pulled into my driveway. She had been told that I don't go to church (by the other in-your-face Christian neighbors) and she voiced her displeasure loudly (as well as a boat load of other garbage that had to be true because I wasn't a Christian) to several other neighbors that were walking by. Thankfully, they had known me for the 3 years I've lived there and didn't believe it.

I admit, this example is not an everyday sort of thing (thankfully) but it underscores the underlying feeling that is often projected towards non-Christians, Christians that are Catholic, or just non-church going Christians. Sure, not all other Christians do it…but when enough of them do it enough of the time….you can’t help but notice the pattern.
Hey Des, it really sounds like she may be a mental case of some sort. This is definitely not Christian behavior and does sound like the rantings of an unstable person. I'd go out of my way to avoid her for sure.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,151 times
Quote:

I know you are not, it has happened to me and several friends we made from other states. I sometimes think natives maybe blind to it a little. I lived in Raleigh when we first got there, and our neighbor asked about our church, well we said we didnt go to church and after that she stoped talking to us and her kids could NEVER play, we never got an explanation. Then we moved to Apex, two crazy neighbors, one came over trying to SAVE us and my husband needed to hide his tattoo and go to church, and then the day we moved in a lady came over told us her life story how god had saved her from satan, asked our story told us it sounded like we need her church and that our kids should read the bible at least an hour a day. She never stopped trying to get us into her church. I come from Oregon, life there is very different. I came to NC for the slow pace, didnt want to change anyone or thing and I had hoped for the same respect. Some will truly blend in and fit well, we didnt. Just the way it goes.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 AM

238 posts, read 668,824 times
awww , now i wish i'd have looked into N.C. to move to instead of ga!

I could so have fun with these people ! i am non denomational and do not believe in org religion (occult) , period . i do not need one person's interpatation of the bible , i know how to read and have great comphension of what i read - that being said , most of the bible is subliminal . i think we can all learn something from all religions. you can find god in all things and my fav is in nature and the world around me.

i would love to have a debate with some christians , i could give a few a heart attack and call them on there religion . but most won't even approch me , hubby says most people find me intimadating, i am a very strong minded and confident , there is no one that can sway me to believe in any occult .I dare someone come stand in my yard yelling at me about religion - i would laugh them right back into there house. besides arn't these the same people that hate gays , against abortation , stem cell research, other religions there are more but i do not want to type all day !

Dear christians - please go sweep your own door steps before sweeping others- Do not JUDGE least you be JUDGED -let those without sin speak up ????? can't do it- can ya ! gosh there is so much more but i gotta run~

Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
awww , now i wish i'd have looked into N.C. to move to instead of ga!

I could so have fun with these people ! i am non denomational and do not believe in org religion (occult) , period . i do not need one person's interpatation of the bible , i know how to read and have great comphension of what i read - that being said , most of the bible is subliminal . i think we can all learn something from all religions. you can find god in all things and my fav is in nature and the world around me.

i would love to have a debate with some christians , i could give a few a heart attack and call them on there religion . but most won't even approch me , hubby says most people find me intimadating, i am a very strong minded and confident , there is no one that can sway me to believe in any occult .I dare someone come stand in my yard yelling at me about religion - i would laugh them right back into there house. besides arn't these the same people that hate gays , against abortation , stem cell research, other religions there are more but i do not want to type all day !

Dear christians - please go sweep your own door steps before sweeping others- Do not JUDGE least you be JUDGED -let those without sin speak up ????? can't do it- can ya ! gosh there is so much more but i gotta run~
I feel sure Georgia has just as many crazy zealots as NC - we have no monopoly on them here

Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times
Back in Ny ther eis a strong anti-Christian bias in many communities... the problem is when a group dominates it can often have certain types of people who turn into bullies.
It is fine, IMHO, to invite a person to church- it is an act of friendliness.
To shun a non-churchgoer instead of remaining in fellowship with her shows the person may be weak in her faith and fears that openign her mind & hear to a person who believes differently will weaken her faith.
It is junior-high behavior, isn't it, the endles drawing of distictions, making "in"
& "out" groups, that you so often find in those with low self-esteem, of all colors & creeds.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,775 times
Well, as Christians know (or should know), the Bible says not to debate with people. (Romans 1:29, I Timothy 6:4, II Timothy 2:23, Titus 3:9.) It doesn't do anyone any good.

It's fine to invite folks to church (it shows they care), but we're to be good examples. A true witness is someone who lives it and not just speaks it.

It's been my observation that many (if not most) Christians who are zealous and "in your face" tend to be babes in Christ. They still have a lot of learning to do and a lot of wisdom yet to gain. There are, of course, exceptions. Those who have been Christians for a long time, yet still act that way - not sure what their excuse is. lol I reckon they just never learned for some reason.

It's amazing to me what some of y'all have experienced. I've seen excited Christians and even some not-so-nice "Christians" (I wouldn't consider them true Christians), but I've never met nor heard of (until now) "Christians" yelling at people. That's crazy. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina