Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 23,569 times

Advertisements

I live in coastal NC. I have lived here for a long time but lately have been noticing some things that are downright scary. First, the ocean itself stinks to high heaven and the sand on the beach is so vile smelling that if you placed a bit in a jar and stuck it under your nose you would probably retch. We are an island between the ICW and the ocean and the waterway also stinks. Additionally (oh yeah, there is more) a recent construction project was stopped due to the discovery of DDT in the soil! (FYI...DDT was banned in 1972!!!!!) We also SEEM (I can't get any real data on this) to have a much higher incidence of cancer than I have seen elsewhere.
I cannot get help at the local level as I was told point blank that I didn't want to "rock that particular boat" because the town government is so closely tied to real estate interests. So I need to know if there is any help out there. I would be glad to obtain the samples but I have NO idea where to get unbiased testing done.
Now...I am no treehugger nor an "environmental wacko" but I DO believe that common sense dictates that polluted soil and water can lead to many health issues. If you know where I can get help please post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 PM

823 posts, read 3,925,023 times
Perhaps someone at UNC School of Public Health could help.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,037,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet View Post
I cannot get help at the local level as I was told point blank that I didn't want to "rock that particular boat" because the town government is so closely tied to real estate interests.
Well, there ya go. Coastal advocates have been raising the alarm for quite awhile about the over-development of the coasts; mostly citing the high cost of recovery when hurricanes strike. Said recovery funded to an extent by tax dollars. I feel the same way about the over-development of the mountains. A simple Google on "beach pollution+north carolina" will bring up several pages, one of which is this:
http://www.nrdc.org/water/oceans/qttw.asp

Best of luck on your Quixotic stand

Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 PM

157 posts, read 652,162 times
Hey BubbaG,

You might want to check out the October issue (I'm pretty sure) of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine which has a great, enlightening article on world-wide pollution and its not-so-subtle effects. Not only is the article informative, but the reputation of National Geographic is basically above question -- might give you some ideas about testing as well as some local "leverage". I used to have a link to the article online, so I will try to get it again and post it for you. I really think that times are changing and your "fight" will really get much easier as more "mainstream" media and other sources (not just treehuggers ) help make it easier for all of us to change. Best wishes and Good Luck!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 PM

157 posts, read 652,162 times
Bubba G,

Actually, I just found that if you simply goto nationalgeographic.com and search "Chemicals Within Us" (the title of the article) on the site you will find not only the article, but lots of links, pictures, other articles, and resources concerning pollution. Thanks ... now I'm really glad I looked that up!

Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,618 times
Contact the NC Division of Coastal Management (DCM) and describe the water/sand smell problem you're having. I think that's something they should be able to at least find out what's wrong.

Also try calling the NC Department of Environment & Natural Resources (the umbrella agency that DCM is under) at their customer service hotline: 1-877-623-6748 and see if they can't get you to the right people to help in this.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 23,569 times
Default Many Thanks

Thanks for all the info. The one thing that the local folks who have tried to get me to back off don't understand is that I am a contrary ol' cuss! The best way to get me to DO something is to tell me NOT to!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 PM

57 posts, read 87,470 times
Default Pollutions Problems - Looking For Help

We bought a lot in Supply in Brunswick County last year. I am very concerned about you said. Could you be a bit more specific about the area you are writing about. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 24,400 times
Unhappy The Water Stinks

Hi Bubba,
The stench you are noticing probably has its source, in part at least, in cesspools for huge hogfarms in Eastern NC. The stuff that ends up in those pits goes far beyond the excrement from the pigs (as if that wouldn't be bad enough already). Rather than go into great detail, I'd recommend that you read an article titled "Boss Hog" in the Dec 14, 2006 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. This will probably tell you more even than you want to know, and I would definitely advise you to read it on an empty stomach. Good luck to you,
Fey Rey

Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 PM

20 posts, read 87,083 times
That Boss Hog article was very disturbing, i had no idea. Im almost speechless. Im seriously thinking of giving up pork, and i love pork, but that is just absoulutely disgusting. hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina