Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bible belt mentality: family-oriented suburbs, urban versus rural areas

Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 AM
PTK PTK started this thread

45 posts, read 153,320 times

Advertisements

I have been posting telling you all that my family and I will be relocating this spring/summer. My last thread I was trying to decide where we should visit in April to find a job and apartment. We are going to the Cary area (good schools, jobs, nice apartments, and there are quite areas in the outskirts where we can find a house while we live in an apartment). I forgot to ask this important question: I know allot of NC is religious, I know some do not like catholic's. My husband has no religion, I am not sure what I believe, I was raised Catholic but I DO NOT believe in the catholic religion. So I guess you can say neither of us have a religion. Would we be accepted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTK View Post
I have been posting telling you all that my family and I will be relocating this spring/summer. My last thread I was trying to decide where we should visit in April to find a job and apartment. We are going to the Cary area (good schools, jobs, nice apartments, and there are quite areas in the outskirts where we can find a house while we live in an apartment). I forgot to ask this important question: I know allot of NC is religious, I know some do not like catholic's. My husband has no religion, I am not sure what I believe, I was raised Catholic but I DO NOT believe in the catholic religion. So I guess you can say neither of us have a religion. Would we be accepted?
For the most part, especially in the area you want to move to, people are live and let live types. Yes, we do wear our faith more comfortably than in other parts of the country - you may see us praying before a meal in a restaurant for instance, and yes, we love our churches and will invite you to them with us - this is how we welcome newcomers. But, it is very unlikely being a lapsed Catholic or agnostic will garner much attention at all. If you just politely let us know you aren't a "church-goer" 99% of people will let you know the invitation is open but leave you alone about the issue after that

Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 32,723 times
I'm glad religion was mentioned as I have a question also. I am Jewish and do not belong to a temple where i live in Ct. but do practice the religion on the "High Holy Days". My husband is protestant, does not attend church or practice his religion (we have no kids). Will we have any problems or do you suggest any particular areas to avoid.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Well there's a thread here on the NC list...about two or three slots from this one....called "What if not Christian?" that pretty much answers these questions already. Give it a read.

To sum it up briefly, there is the bible belt mentality to worry about...but your specific location will vary, depending on where in NC you are. The most urbanized areas will be the most accepting & diverse, generally. Particularly the modern urban parts of Raleigh, Asheville, Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro and maybe a few others. The suburbs, which are generally more family-oriented, will also be more religiously-oriented....and the rural areas even more conservative religiously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina