Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 AM

9 posts, read 50,343 times

Advertisements

This just in...

From Kipplinger's 100 Best Values in Public Colleges.

Five schools in NC made the list.

UNC Chapel Hill ranks @ # 1

North Carolina State University # 12

UNC Wilmington # 35

UNC Asheville # 36

UNC Greensboro # 53

See below for complete list.

http://content.kiplinger.com/tools/colleges/pubcollege.php?sortby=INRANK04&orderby=flip&states %5B%5D=ALL&myschool%5B%5D=none&outputby=table (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,610 times
Go Heels!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:45 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,658 times
how long do you have to be a resident of NC before being excepted in the public colleges at residential rates???

Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
how long do you have to be a resident of NC before being excepted in the public colleges at residential rates???
You need a NC high school diploma or one year of established residency.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
This just in...

From Kipplinger's 100 Best Values in Public Colleges.

Five schools in NC made the list.

UNC Chapel Hill ranks @ # 1

North Carolina State University # 12

UNC Wilmington # 35

UNC Asheville # 36

UNC Greensboro # 53

See below for complete list.

http://content.kiplinger.com/tools/colleges/pubcollege.php?sortby=INRANK04&orderby=flip&states %5B%5D=ALL&myschool%5B%5D=none&outputby=table (broken link)

There are actually 6 schools......you missed Appalachian State

Appalachian was actually 3rd in the state, 31st overall

Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM
CJF

30 posts, read 176,261 times
LOL you beat me to it.

#31 Appalachian State University (N.C.)

Best value in the mountains

Old 01-13-2007, 10:21 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,658 times
Wow!! That causees a problem for us. My eldest son graduates in FLorida from HS in May. Our home has a contract for closing in the first week of Feb. We will be looking at property in NC immediatley following closing. My thought was to leave him at grandmas until May have him come up to NC in March for a state ID or liciense and that way when classes for college start in Aug/Sept he would just about have six month residency. A whole year is alot for a child to miss school. I have to start planning better or perhaps he could do his first year of college in FLorida...not sure...thats a long time without being with his brothers and us.

The reason in not pulling him out before the end of the years is because he is in a magnet medical program and graduates with HS diploma and a certificate in physical therapy sports medicine which he has worked hard for. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

I thought selling the house would be the biggest problem.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,009,111 times
Quote:
Wow!! That causees a problem for us. My eldest son graduates in FLorida from HS in May. Our home has a contract for closing in the first week of Feb. We will be looking at property in NC immediatley following closing. My thought was to leave him at grandmas until May have him come up to NC in March for a state ID or liciense and that way when classes for college start in Aug/Sept he would just about have six month residency. A whole year is alot for a child to miss school. I have to start planning better or perhaps he could do his first year of college in FLorida...not sure...thats a long time without being with his brothers and us.

The reason in not pulling him out before the end of the years is because he is in a magnet medical program and graduates with HS diploma and a certificate in physical therapy sports medicine which he has worked hard for. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

East TN State university has a large medical school and in TN you get instant resident rates as long as you move to TN not just for the college tuition break. Just a thought.

Tony

Old 01-14-2007, 08:04 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
UNC Residency Guidelines for In-State Tuition

http://regweb.oit.unc.edu/residency/ncres.php

Full-Text NC Residency Manual

http://regweb.oit.unc.edu/residency/residency_manual.pdf

Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:

True -- this is a challenging problem! My advice would be to actually turn a lemon into lemonade on this one. Is your son interested in health care as a career? If so, taking a year to work at a local hospital in any capacity (even cleaning rooms, "pushing the gurney," etc.) would provide valuable experience as to whether this is something he wanted to do down the road... *and* would provide a great story for college application essays or even nursing/PA/med programs down the road!

Some colleges are actually encouraging students to take a year off before college. See http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/prospective/applying/time_off/timeoff.html (broken link) for an interesting perspective.

Out of curiosity... you mention your plans for your son's college. What does your son want to do, and what are his ambitions? We have to all beware the easy temptation to become a "helicopter parent!" :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina