Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuwaterz View Post
I am located in Danville VA. We are currently looking to relocate to NC very soon. However, I am torn between Raleigh and Charlotte. I am looking for the better school system, better jobs, and somewhat rural living. I like both areas (Raleigh is closer to the shore!) Charlotte is larger and possible better job opportunities. Like I said, we would love to live in Wake County - but the redistricting of kids appears to be a problem. And I don't have a lot of info on Carrabus County Schools (but I am researching). Please help me and my family.
Priorities:
1. School System - possible private school
2. Job
3. Living area
Try NC School Report Cards to assist you on the schools.
Once you pick out a school on that website you will notice at the top different tabs that you can click and they will give you various information like average test scores, student performance, teacher performance. It will give you averages of that school in various things how it compares to rest of district and the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:44 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Its sad for many native Carolinians to see our state transform before our eyes. As people from all over the country swarm to NC, the very identity of North Carolina is rapidly changing and is disappearing.

North Carolina, as people have already stated, is the new Florida. Which means we are doomed to be overcrowded, overtaxed, and overburdened with population.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM

51 posts, read 91,543 times
I would like to say that too many people are flocking here, I am born here and will die here. From the womb to the tomb. I do not like all the yankees flocking here and expecting us southerners to act and talk and to accomodate them. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE ACCENT HERE GO HOME! IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE HUMIDITY GO HOME! I do not care if you are here, just do not expect me to try to accomodate you when i did not come knocking on your doorstep with my luggage in hand.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 AM

36 posts, read 96,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan08 View Post
I would like to say that too many people are flocking here, I am born here and will die here. From the womb to the tomb. I do not like all the yankees flocking here and expecting us southerners to act and talk and to accomodate them. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE ACCENT HERE GO HOME! IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE HUMIDITY GO HOME! I do not care if you are here, just do not expect me to try to accomodate you when i did not come knocking on your doorstep with my luggage in hand.
Why are so many people hostile about others seeking better lives for their families? If people were flocking to where I live in Ohio I would trilled to see it. The influx of new people, new ideas, new revenue for schools and cities. If that were happening here maybe the city where I live wouldn't be dying. My wife and I are looking forward to the idea of moving somewhere in the Carolinas when we're done with school and it saddens me to hear people knock others for being from out of town.
And for you're info Jordan08 we will not be "knocking on your door" you make it sound as though everybody that moves to your area is asking you for a handout. All we're seeking is a better life for our children somewhere were family is important and hospitality hasn't died. Those few "Yankees" that expect things to change to accommodate them are wrong in their demands. But don't make us all out to be freeloaders or ingrates.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 PM

95 posts, read 297,169 times
I have thought about it a lot, and there really are too many people coming down here from up North and we all (including myself and family) seem to want about the same thing. We seem to want better weather, a new start, a nice place to raise a family(even though ours are already raised) a place to retire, a slower paced life,friendlier people,more considerate drivers,living on or near the lake, better work, and for most better property taxes. I guess that sort of covers it. Well, in the back of my mind I kept thinking it was going to be the way it was 30 years or so ago, with people sitting sipping ice tea on their porches in the heat and fanning themselves,like when I was young, and my mom and I use to sit on the front porch on hot days fanning ourselves. Well, I found a lot of things different here like rent seems to be cheaper, we are near a lake, I found more considerate drivers, there are nice places to raise a family and retire, better weather and in some places there is a slower paced life--What I did not find was a lot of friendlier people or hear of good paying jobs(jobs would be for my son as we are retired) I probably will not find a lot of friendlier people because they are mostly from up North. I am sure there are some nice people some place around here, we just havent found them as yet.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 13,677 times
I am hoping to move to NC by the end of the year. The NH winters are long, cold and snowy and I'm not looking forward to paying $4.50 a gallon (current price) for heating oil and I'm sure the price will go higher!
I'd love a laid back lifestyle! I'm tired of the ratrace as well and I'm closing in the retirement age. From the searches I've been doing, it sounds like NC has everything I'll be looking for, warmer winters = year round active lifestyle. I hibernate during the winter here, I don't ski, snowmobile or enjoy winter at all, period! Especially after this past winter's record snowfall, it seems all I did was snowblow the driveway! The day I move, I plan on building a fire and burn my snow shovel!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 34,224 times
Cool NC Bound?

For the past 4 years I have been searching for a place to move to with my 2 kids as a single mom. I live in Phoenix now and the economy everywhere is bad but the cost of living here is close to CA. Being ex military I've lived in CA, HI, GA, DC, NV and so on. I find that people are people but you have to not change. I'm a very open minded friendly person and I tend to attract the same.
I have family all throughout the eastern seaboard tfrom NY - GA so being closer to family is my main purpose for moving east. After hearing so much negativity of the influx of people moving to NC I saw what it did to Atlanta after the Olympics and it does change the character of a city. Here in AZ people are moving away, more to NM and TX.
I have a 7yr old and 5yr old I just became CPC certified where I will be working from home. My income will increase from 25K the past decade to 40K in the next 30 days. So now I feel the world is my oyster but just because I make more money I don't want to spend more money.
I am considering NC because I was born and raised there til 7 then relocated to MD then CA as a teen. So I am well rounded. I was in Raleigh in Dec 07 and fell in love with the trees alone :-), big change from the desert and scorpions versus squirrles as my kids saw when they travelled during spring break from here to GA.
My son just got diagnosed with asthma, and this heat dries his skin and the dust is awful. When he was in GA his skin looked better and no breathing issues.
Maybe I'll look at KS or OK, who knows but I will do continued research and I'm sure I'll know where to go when it's time to go there.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-29-2008 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with the Terms of Service - Ads.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilloughby78 View Post
If people were flocking to where I live in Ohio I would trilled to see it.
I believe that you think that you would feel that way, but I suspect that your opinion would change if it were actually to happen.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

92 posts, read 242,463 times
I live in a place where many north easterners move to

No one here down south really bothers if you move here and fit in the problem is that some decide to move here and then expect locals and natives to change

For instance a couple moved here and said they moved because of the high cost, high taxes, cost of living etc, I then asked them who they were voting for and they said the very same people and party who they have voted for in the past.
They ruined your state and now you want to ruin ours

Now that is the problem, for instance here we have gun rights acknowledged, we have the castle law, we have low taxes, we are getting strict on immigration, virtually everyone wants marriage between a man and a woman, hunting is big , locals know their history especially about the war between the states and those moving do not and yet tell many to not fly their flags so the natives vote for what they want.

Trouble is people move here and then complain that some of the things they had back up north are not here .
Well do not move here ,simple why expect everyone else to change, why expect parts of the south to change(see change is not good always)

If you want what we have and like what we have great move if you do not like what we have except he weather then do not move, be a snow bird

If it happened to your place then you too would not like it.
multi million $ homes being built with many elitist northeasterners living there wanting to change where we live to how they were back in their state they escaped from

our trees are being knocked down which give us clean air, the country side is being turned into a concrete jungle with tacky strip malls and outlet malls, the small stores are being forced to close,. the animals are being killed or no where to live, congestion is happening thus causing pollution and yet these people live in their housing communities(some call them elitist compounds) and say they love their environment and tell us not to drive a pick up but drive a little car.

Like I said all are welcome if you want to live our lifestyle and want to fit in but if you expect our laws to change and our views to change then forget, all it does is cause hostility

Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM

36 posts, read 96,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I believe that you think that you would feel that way, but I suspect that your opinion would change if it were actually to happen.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I love many things about where I live right now; close family, affordable costs of living, nearby entertaintment (minor league baseball the Dayton Dragons) only being an hour away from Cincinnati and Columbus, the National U.S Air Force museum. But the economy here is tanking severly. Due to poor leadership not very many new businesses are moving to replace the disappearing manufacturing jobs here it's a shame to be honest this part of Ohio has a lot to offer minus the horrible weather. If people were flocking here pumping taxs dollars in to the schools and cities I'd stay here in a heartbeat. But I have to take my family where there's a chance of a better life then here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina