Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM

51 posts, read 91,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilloughby78 View Post
Why are so many people hostile about others seeking better lives for their families? If people were flocking to where I live in Ohio I would trilled to see it. The influx of new people, new ideas, new revenue for schools and cities. If that were happening here maybe the city where I live wouldn't be dying. My wife and I are looking forward to the idea of moving somewhere in the Carolinas when we're done with school and it saddens me to hear people knock others for being from out of town.
And for you're info Jordan08 we will not be "knocking on your door" you make it sound as though everybody that moves to your area is asking you for a handout. All we're seeking is a better life for our children somewhere were family is important and hospitality hasn't died. Those few "Yankees" that expect things to change to accommodate them are wrong in their demands. But don't make us all out to be freeloaders or ingrates.
Hello this is jordan responding to your post. We have NO ROOM IN OUR SCHOOLS! OUR KIDS ARE IN TRAILERS, MORE THEN ANY OTHER STATES. WE CANNOT SUPPORT OUR KIDS AND WE ARE FAILING THE GRADE. I AM NOT SOUNDING HOSTILE BUT I AM SOOO TIRED OF PEOPLE MAKING FUN OF THE WAY I TALK. IF THEY CANNOT UNDERSTAND ME THEN THEY CAN GO HOME I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT. BUT I REALLY BET IT WOULD GET ON YOUR NERVES TO IF I CAME TO YOUR AREA AND MADE FUN OF YOUR DIALECT. MADE FUN OF YOUR FOOD, MADE FUN OF YOUR AREA AND HISTORY. IF THE YANKS DO NOT LIKE IT GO HOME!! I WOULD NOT CARE WHO MOVES HERE IF THEY WOULD RESPECT THE NATIVES. I DO NOT TALK FUNNY EVERY SOUTHERNER TALKS LIKE ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan08 View Post
hello this is jordan responding to your post. We have no room in our schools! Our kids are in trailers, more then any other states. We cannot support our kids and we are failing the grade. I am not sounding hostile but i am sooo tired of people making fun of the way i talk. If they cannot understand me then they can go home i am not saying everyone is looking for a handout. But i really bet it would get on your nerves to if i came to your area and made fun of your dialect. Made fun of your food, made fun of your area and history. If the yanks do not like it go home!! I would not care who moves here if they would respect the natives. I do not talk funny every southerner talks like me.
and if you want to know where i live go watch the documentary welcome to durham. Because thats what durham has and it is not a rural area. So don't think i am in the country saying this. And believe me if you want great schools do not come here. We have people protesting our schools. We have no room! So the natives suffer. If you want a better life okay good but beware of all the issues we have already because if you move here you will face it too.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker4u2 View Post
I am hoping to move to NC by the end of the year. The NH winters are long, cold and snowy and I'm not looking forward to paying $4.50 a gallon (current price) for heating oil and I'm sure the price will go higher!
I'd love a laid back lifestyle! I'm tired of the ratrace as well and I'm closing in the retirement age. From the searches I've been doing, it sounds like NC has everything I'll be looking for, warmer winters = year round active lifestyle. I hibernate during the winter here, I don't ski, snowmobile or enjoy winter at all, period! Especially after this past winter's record snowfall, it seems all I did was snowblow the driveway! The day I move, I plan on building a fire and burn my snow shovel!
We get cold weather too not that bad. sometimes it snows. and it is not all year round weather. It does vary.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 PM

They should tax the heck out of people who are moving to NC to help fund schools. Too many people coming here and not enough schools. Putting them in schools 30 to 40 miles away from there homes. Just so they can go to school trying to keep it intergrated (which durham schools are not no white kids.) But no one says a word about that, unless it is the other way around. So go ahead and move here and see what you get.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM

24 posts, read 83,780 times
Not true,our kids are grown,they live in other states, we moved here for our elders, who are from northcarolina thank you.....

Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 PM

36 posts, read 96,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan08 View Post
Hello this is jordan responding to your post. We have NO ROOM IN OUR SCHOOLS! OUR KIDS ARE IN TRAILERS, MORE THEN ANY OTHER STATES. WE CANNOT SUPPORT OUR KIDS AND WE ARE FAILING THE GRADE. I AM NOT SOUNDING HOSTILE BUT I AM SOOO TIRED OF PEOPLE MAKING FUN OF THE WAY I TALK. IF THEY CANNOT UNDERSTAND ME THEN THEY CAN GO HOME I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT. BUT I REALLY BET IT WOULD GET ON YOUR NERVES TO IF I CAME TO YOUR AREA AND MADE FUN OF YOUR DIALECT. MADE FUN OF YOUR FOOD, MADE FUN OF YOUR AREA AND HISTORY. IF THE YANKS DO NOT LIKE IT GO HOME!! I WOULD NOT CARE WHO MOVES HERE IF THEY WOULD RESPECT THE NATIVES. I DO NOT TALK FUNNY EVERY SOUTHERNER TALKS LIKE ME.
Hey Jordan08 you're welcome to come up to Ohio and make fun of our dialect, food, culture, etc. And by the way people do this often. And you seem very passionate about your native home and that's great, and thank you for the warnings about the schools in the Durham area, we have those problems as well, we have kids going to schools that are over 90 years old some still using coal furnaces and no attached restroom facilities. I think we could all agree that as a nation we are failing our future generations when it comes to their education. As a future teacher this is disheartening, but it affects those that move to the area as much as the natives, and we need to address these issues together not play blame games. I like you passion Jordan08 but when you type your whole posting in CAPS it means you're shouting so stating that "I am not sounding hostile" is just not how it comes off.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
I WOULD NOT CARE WHO MOVES HERE IF THEY WOULD RESPECT THE NATIVES. I DO NOT TALK FUNNY EVERY SOUTHERNER TALKS LIKE ME.//Unquote

Well, then you do "talk funny." Sorry, just HAD to say that.

You just have me curious~has your area gotten so many transplants that it's gotten this way or were there problems before? I do know there were a lot of Floridians fleeing and NC seemed to be one of their top choices. Is it getting overcrowded there?

Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Is it getting overcrowded there?
Newcomers still seem to be clustering in the Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham metro areas, while other areas of the state have slow to moderate growth and some areas are stagnant or losing population.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:37 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
I've been reading this forum off and on and I just thought I'd put in my two cents.

I'm a native 20-something Carolinian...born in NC, raised in SC, currently live in Gaston County. I am on both sides of the fence as far as people moving here.

The influx of people is of course stressing our already decades-behind roads even more (not so much in York County, though, which seems to be maintaining very well). Traffic is becoming a nightmare, and I've even seen traffic going in and out of Charlotte on Saturday nights. Ten years ago, if you were driving 85 that same time, you may have seen two or three more other sets of lights on the road.

Home values are appreciating, but for those of us who are single and don't work in very lucrative fields, it makes it harder for us to find a pad in an affordable and nice area. Not that I want to live in say, Ballantyne, but if I wanted, it would be a lot harder because of the home values and the fact that people are moving from all over the place and are paying out of pocket for those same places. Taxes are going up, but since I don't have a house, I don't have to pay about those...yet. I've heard my s/o when his property tax bill comes in, and those aren't very friendly words

Also, schools are very overcrowded and are filling up once they're built. Look at Fort Mill and parts of Charlotte. Look at Union County, Cabarrus County, and pretty much every county bordering Mecklenburg (I'm hearing it's a similar situation in other parts of both NC and SC, from Columbia to Raleigh). Someone said that mobile units looked trashy and unsafe...I respectfully disagree, but many students are spending their entire day in them because we can't keep up with the exponential growth.

I will say this though...as an adult, it's hard to make friends, period. But I will say that some of the friendliest people--in my opinion--are the ones moving down south from other areas. Mind you, I am a minority; I don't know if certain people around here still have issues with that. One of the friendliest people I ever met my entire life was one of my college roommates from Massachusetts.

Also, we're now exposed to so many types of food and retail that weren't here years ago. There are more housing options, too.

I've never been teased for my accent. I have a moderate Southern drawl, but if anything, people have said it's cute *blush*

I think once you hear people's stories in real life, rather than online, you really understand. At first, I thought that all this growth could be detrimental, but can you blame someone for wanting to provide better opportunities for their children? Can you blame someone for wanting to have their part in making the banks successful? After all, an MBA degree is tough to acquire. Can you blame people for wanting to move into these McMansions since they cost the same as their 1 BR and 2 BR shoeboxes in other cities? I will admit that I'm envious of those who can afford such luxuries, but heck, if I were in the same situation, I'd probably contemplate the move, too.

So, my fellow Carolinians, I say welcome. Get to know us. We'll bake a pie or some fried chicken for you if you bake a New York or Chicago style pizza, or maybe a Philly Cheesesteak Let's just slow down the growth--just a tad...if the strain on traffic wasn't so bad, then I would say I don't care about the growth!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:43 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
NC is quite overcrowded with transplants. I would say that the majority of them are good people who just want a more affordable lifestyle. however, we could do without some of them. I have lived in NC a couple of times. moved back here from VA like 3 years ago and it's gotten really crowded with out of towner's, myself included. but I am a laid back person so I fit in pretty good. the ones who move here from florida are generally referred to as halfbacks. moved from NY to florida, then came halfway back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I WOULD NOT CARE WHO MOVES HERE IF THEY WOULD RESPECT THE NATIVES. I DO NOT TALK FUNNY EVERY SOUTHERNER TALKS LIKE ME.//Unquote

Well, then you do "talk funny." Sorry, just HAD to say that.

You just have me curious~has your area gotten so many transplants that it's gotten this way or were there problems before? I do know there were a lot of Floridians fleeing and NC seemed to be one of their top choices. Is it getting overcrowded there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina