Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. I see so many people on this forum and well, on my street, that come to NC in droves and just think this area is so great. I hear many different things, weather, economy, qualiy of life. But I was just wondering if some of you could be more specific? What about the weather, what about the quality of life. What is it exactly that you feel you will have so much better here than wherever you live now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2006, 01:28 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,346 times
I'm interested in moving because I would like to be closer to the beaches I like the weather. You can get more house for your money and hopefully It will be a good investment towards my retirement. I may or may not like it but I have to give it a shot.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:16 PM

11 posts, read 88,019 times
It's pretty simple really. We're from the DC area and I have a job opportunity in Raleigh. If the job comes through, they will pay for our relocation. With what we can sell our house for, we can get a really nice house with a small mortgage, fully fund our kids' educations and send our kids to public schools vs. paying private school tuition around here. No brainer. We also like the idea of raising our kids away from the ratrace, having a shorter commute, and a nice piece of land. We understand that we may not like everything about the area, but overall it seems like a very nice place to live. It's also not too far from family that we'll be leaving up here.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
I don't personally think moving anywhere MAKES you happy. Changing youir enviroment can be good, but it's not like taking some magic pill. However, if you are already happy with your life, but commute 4 hours a day, have to work your butt off just to pay your mortgage and taxes, can't even downsize because there's no where to go that's cheaper than where you currently live (no where safe, anyway), are sick and tired of the traffic, congestion, overdelopment, rudeness, etc., then it seems like no brainer to me.

I already wave to my neighbors, talk to people on line, smile at people walking down the street and stay involved in my church community. I'm just looking for a place where that seems to be the norm.

NC or any other state alone would not make me happy. BUT, happy + mortgage free + friendly+ warmer climate=ecstatic.

Oh, I also look forward to saying Merry Christmas to people without getting an icy glare. Small, but significant to me.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:06 PM

128 posts, read 641,323 times
JERSEY MOM, I couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2006, 05:24 PM

107 posts, read 354,329 times
Miss informed, are you actaully relocating back to Rochester ?? It seems as though for most people in this forum, moving to NC from new york and the other high tax areas is definitley a no brainer. Life is definitley what you make of it , but if a person can simplify their lives and spend better quality time with their children, then it is by far a no brainer. I am from Long Island and yes the people here are definitely a bit more on the angry side, but that is because of all the stress associated with trying to make it on the island and basically failing. That is why I am going to carolina.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Miss informed, are you actaully relocating back to Rochester ?? It seems as though for most people in this forum, moving to NC from new york and the other high tax areas is definitley a no brainer. Life is definitley what you make of it , but if a person can simplify their lives and spend better quality time with their children, then it is by far a no brainer. I am from Long Island and yes the people here are definitely a bit more on the angry side, but that is because of all the stress associated with trying to make it on the island and basically failing. That is why I am going to carolina.
Thank you to all of the respectfull people on here who made educated, polite, and relevant replies... this obviously excludes the person quoted above. "miss-informed", that was a little uncalled for don't you think? I am moving for my OWN personal reasons, just the same as the rest of you are. I will spend just as much time with my kids there as I do here, and much much much more time with my aging parents, my brothers and sisters, and my neices and nephews. As will my youngest son, who will now get to experience growing up with extended family, which unfortunetly my oldest two did not get to experience as much. I was just starting a discussion to see what people expect in moving to NC.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:17 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,266 times
As a life long North Carolinan. welcome to North Carolina. It seems like that you all have the dream to make the move a smooth one. And if you are nice to the people here, they will be nice to you. Southern hospitally if you will. I live in Greene County near the coast and most people here would give you the shirt off their backs to help you. But let me give you some of the things that annoy me the worse about the laid backness of this place but I have learned to tolerate.

1. Driving- Well, turning to be more precise. You are behind your neighbor's Aunt Mary who is well up in age and really shouldn't be driving. She either turns out in front of a car and you nearly have a heart attack thinking she has bought the farm. Fortunately for Aunt Mary, the car she pulled out in front of is well aware of her shortcomings and an accident is avoided.

She has to make a left turn. About 1000 feet from the actual driveway or street that she is turn on, she starts riding the left hand shoulder of the road until she gets to where she is suppose to turn on. Everything will be alright if she doesn't meet a car. If you run into this situation, stay far enough behind her until she clears the driveway just in case she meets someone and has to come back into the lane should have been in until she got to the driveway/street.

Also a large percentage of the older population have no idea what a turn signal is. The funny part about it is that it isn't a problem because they are so predictable, you know where they are going at a certain time of the day.

You are coming down the road and she pulls out in front of her just barely missing her and she starts down the road driving 25 miles an hour in a 55-60 mile and hour area. Then to add insult to injury if you will, the next street she comes to, she turns down it leaving you to wonder why was she in such a rush to turn out in front of you to begin with.

2. Grocery stores, You are in line in a hurry (yes we do get in a hurry sometimes) and the lady in front of you is going to write a check. She does absolutely nothing to speed this process along until the cashier has scanned everything and then gives her the total. Then she takes and enternity to pull out her checkbook, another 3 to 4 minutes filling it out after she asks the cashier at least twice if not three times how much did she say that she owed. Or another variation of this is she does nothing until the total comes up and you have to stand there holding 5 items or so with a wiggling kid as well while she counts out the amount she owes in change. It is amazing how much change it takes to make ten dollars.

3. My personal favorite actually happened. It is hot, some 99 degrees. I am in the drive thru line at the pharmacy. Ahead of me is Mr. Henry who is getting his prescription. Normal people realize that at some point money has to change hand to obtain this. He waits until she comes back to the window, goes to the truck of his car, pulls out this metal box that is locked, he unlockes it, pulls out his checkbook and proceeds to make a 10 minute process out of something that shouldn't take a minute or more. Mind you like I said it is 99 degrees, the A/C on the van I was driving at the time was not working and I have 2 children under 4 in the van with me fighting at the time. Needless to say I was not amused. To avoid this to some part, never go to the pharmacy on the 1st or the 3rd of the month. These are the days that child support checks and Social Security checks come in.

4. At the grocery store, if you are behind someone that is parking, never assume that once they are in a place that they intend to stay there. I nearly got the fender of my car took off and the driver berated me on my driving. My answer to that was it only took me once to get the car in the parking space right, not 4 times.

5. Do not under any circumstance got through the fast food drive-ins, not unless you like surprises.

6. At the bank, you can count on at least one person holding up progress because they don't know their account number or social security number to make a deposit. And it will take at least 5 minutes to locate these items.

7. If you are able to bank at the Credit Union, I urge you to do so. Some of the smaller banks around here have fees that only a bank can dream up.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
Thank you for the warm welcome, Bethanytedder.

And may I add, you are one of the posters here who give us a real feel for the people in NC. Thanks for all the time-and personality you put into it! What would we do without you and mm34b?

Old 05-21-2006, 06:34 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,266 times
I aim to please, jersey mom. You can just call me Bethany. My last name is Tedder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina