Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM

218 posts, read 468,515 times

Advertisements

I guess the teachers there are under a different set of rules. I heard that they are started at $26 hr? Does Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,580 times
I am not sure, but community college jobs usually only hire as part-time status.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM

160 posts, read 789,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl28 View Post
hi ,
I was just reading your blogs on nc teacher salary scale and I just want to make sure i got this right. In NC teachers only get paid once a month and there is no union. So, the salary scale is made up of what? Also, the health insurance is only for you and additional members you have to pay. OMGosh! i have a question i am a highly qualified preschool teacher with a master's in earlychildhood education P-3 in NJ and I am currently in Step 4 in nj salary scale. If i was to move to become a NC teacher this year, where will I stand as far as salary? Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Have you considered working in the private sector (perhaps in a private school) where you can negotiate your salary and benefits based on your qualifications and job performance? That would eliminate basically all of the concerns you mentioned.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I am not sure, but community college jobs usually only hire as part-time status.
not true - where did you hear that?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
It should also be noted, state employees are not prohibited from joining labor unions. However, mandatory union membership is not required as a condition of employment, like in some other states.
Yes we are...
ARTICLE 12.
UNITS OF GOVERNMENT AND LABOR UNIONS, TRADE UNIONS, AND LABOR ORGANIZATIONS, AND PUBLIC EMPLOYEE STRIKES

§ 95-98. Contracts between units of government and labor unions,trade unions or labor organizations concerning public employees declared to be illegal.

Any agreement, or contract, between the governing authority of any city, town, county, or other municipality, or between any agency, unit, or instrumentality thereof, or between any agency, instrumentality, or institution of the State of North Carolina, and any labor union, trade union, or labor organization, as bargaining agent for any public employees of such city, town, county or other municipality, or agency or instrumentality of government, is hereby declared to be against the public policy of the State, illegal, unlawful, void and of no effect.(Enacted 1959.)

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM

21 posts, read 89,809 times
Default just some info

Hello,

Thanks fo rthe responses. I am preschool highly qualified teacher in an urban area in NJ and to be honest the preschool teachers start with no experience 47k and with masters between 53k-54k. I love NJ pay and benefits, but it is very expensive to own a home and everyday expenses.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:33 PM

101 posts, read 357,188 times
The State Health Plan announced yesterday that they're going to stop paying for vaccines for covered dependents as of December 1st. That's a lot more money parents will have to cough up, even if they're paying hundreds of dollars a month for coverage already. Also, last year Bev Purdue (governor) made all state employees give back .5% of their pay, so we were all shorted in our May & June paychecks to cover this. Also, I believe she wanted to back out of giving teachers their 2nd stipend, not sure if she ended up giving this back. Without unions, the state/corporations control everything. And people who grew up in the south believe that "all unions are bad"...

Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM

21 posts, read 89,809 times
Default thanks for the info

Hello,

Thanks for the update on what's going on down there dealing with the teacher's system. Please keep my updated so I can have updated info when I move to NC. Once again, Thanks,

Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Think your health insurance is expensive? Try owning a small business with less that 100 employees. NO INSURANCE COMPANY will take you.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,516 times
Why are teachers in the South (NC) paid only once a month when they work everyday instead of once a month? What happen to an honest days pay for an honest day of work? How can anyone survive the entire month without money until the next pay day?

~InquiryingMind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina