Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM

24 posts, read 131,824 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experiences in the last couple of years living in a doublewide during hurricane or major storm seasons?

Trying to get an idea if they are on a permanent foundations if they do okay during bad weather?

Thanks,

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenypeny View Post
Anyone have any experiences in the last couple of years living in a doublewide during hurricane or major storm seasons?

Trying to get an idea if they are on a permanent foundations if they do okay during bad weather?

Thanks,

Jennifer
No personal experience, but I can tell you what I've learned through reading about them. Being on a foundation might give the home a more permanent feel, but mobile homes do not do well in high wind conditions due to the materials they are built with. Where I'm from we call trailers "tornado bait".

Old 01-25-2007, 01:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
No uniform governmental construction standards for mobile homes (trailers), but those haven't been produced in over 30 years as a result of the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act. The 1976 Federal standards regulate; manufactured housing design, construction, strength, durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency and quality.

Uniform minimum construction standards for manufactured, modular & the more conventional site built homes. However, depending on the severity of the storm, it may be a good idea to get out regardless of the type of home.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-25-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No personal experience, but I can tell you what I've learned through reading about them. Being on a foundation might give the home a more permanent feel, but mobile homes do not do well in high wind conditions due to the materials they are built with. Where I'm from we call trailers "tornado bait".
Just out of curiosity, i have noticed in the area i am living there is certainly a fair number of them. Some look very old and worn out. Is there not some type of enforcment/code laws per county to condem some of them or check them out to make sure they are safe?
I understand the need to have shelter and all but i feel under the most severe weather conditions it just cannot be safe??

Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Just out of curiosity, i have noticed in the area i am living there is certainly a fair number of them. Some look very old and worn out. Is there not some type of enforcment/code laws per county to condem some of them or check them out to make sure they are safe?
I understand the need to have shelter and all but i feel under the most severe weather conditions it just cannot be safe??
From what I understand, in some older communities where the trailer homes have been there for years they are "grandfathered" in to new zoning and regulation. In other words, they can't sell to a new owner, unless they take the trailer to somewhere where it is allowed, but they are allowed to live there until they either die or move on. And in a lot of very rural counties the folks aren't too crazy about too much government regulation telling them what they can and can't build on their own properties - so there aren't many code laws. Trailers are one of most unsafe structures to be in in severe weather. Most people know that and evacuate them for stronger buildings, if they have enough warning.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
It's a public health, environmental and safety issue. I can't speak for all of North Carolina's 100 counties, but in my county, the local government (county & city) does conduct investigations concerning the condition of private homes and/or properties (land) when made aware of a specific situation by occupants, concerned citizens, law enforcement officers, health-care providers, school officials, clergy, social services staff, fire officials, animal control, game & wildlife officers, public works employees and so on. The list is almost endless.

You can see how detailed the private property laws are in my county here:

http://www.hendersoncountync.org/NUISANCE.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 08-31-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Thanks MMB and LOVETHEMOUNTAINS.
Being new around here and not seeing much of it before, i just could not figure out how it is allowed to begin with but you both explained it very well.
Besides for some of them (now, not all!) they are so dilapatated i just cant figure out how some could survive in case of severe weather. Not to mention again some, quite the eyesore and some almost look abandoned they are in such disrepair.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 AM

144 posts, read 679,812 times
Hello,
I live in Moyock and I also live in a double wide and have through 4 hurricanes. What would you like to know? We lived in an old one during hurricane Bonnie (3 people died in our county) and in a new one for Isabel which was the worst hurricane in years.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 AM

95 posts, read 304,454 times
Talking Tooo Funny

Where I'm from we call trailers "tornado bait".

lovesMountains my mom used to say that when we lived in the tornado belt (oklahoma)I havent heard it in yrs lol

Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM

25 posts, read 106,237 times
i lived in a "trailer" from when i was 2 till i was 18, lived through quite a few hurricanes, i was 100 miles from the coast but still got bad, in 1996 when i was 11 the hurricane bretha came in a drenched the ground and then hurricane fran a category 3 hurricane comes in and torn everywhere up, trees fell everywhere, we were without power for over a week in august, (and you see how hot it gets in august if your new here) and the "trailer" we lived in was fine, we even live on a rather steep hill. and sorry but hearing people say things like its quite an eyesore and such really gets under my skin, how about put yourself in their possition, be homeless or live in a trailer. take your pick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina